9-3 Oil Pan Help

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

9-3 Oil Pan Help

Postby hutch » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:45 pm

So lets call this episode maybe 18 in "Phil should really stop pretending to be a mechanic"... :crazy:

I was performing the PCV #6 update on my Viggen and found a strange oil trap, making me sort of think this car has had an engine replacement (part # shows up as original system on an '04-05 Aero and this has a later TD04 with this push in fitting on the cobra instead of the threaded banjo bolt, also found on '04+ Aeros). Anyway, I remove the old oil trap only to find that it has a large nipple that is inserted into the block and that has snapped off flush in the block. I try and I try to pry it out and of course, it falls into the engine.

Fast forward and the pan is out, and despite someone using copious amounts of silicone sealant it is actually in fantastic shape so I can breathe a sight of relief after finding the incorrect and outdated PCV system.

My question is does anyone have any tips on how to reinstall the oil pan? I am at the point where the pan is catching on the transmission housing by an excruciating mm or two and have exhausted all my curse words while jacking up the engine and prying on the subframe, and I just can't get that sweet combo to let it get back up in there. Reading threads about it the advice is usually like a Hayne's manual and just say 'reinstall pan'.

Any tips on where/how to apply pressure and how to get the pan to clear the subframe hump? I've got the front and middle subframe bolts out, and the rears loosened, but I just can't for the life of me get it pulled down far enough to get this thing in :dunno:

Pics from today; not too gross all things considered, and the offending oil trap nipple that fell down:

Friends don't let friends use silicone on engines :smash:

All clean:

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: 9-3 Oil Pan Help

Postby DrewP » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:12 pm

Do you have an engine hoist, or a strut tower engine support bar? It's not much more work to detach more of the subframe bolts and drop the whole thing down a bit if you can support the engine from the top. You could also put a hoist on the engine from the top, unbolt the engine mounts, and raise the engine up a few inches. You won't have to disconnect any of the lines or hoses that aren't already loose to get the engine up an inch or two so the pan clears.

I do not envy you doing that job, but looks like you're set in good shape if you've already got a newer engine in there!
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:12 pm

Make sure you clean off that RTV out of there. The correct sealant is anerobic 518. Still use it sparingly, that hole where the pickup tube comes up to is critical as it supplies the pump with oil, you don't want to be pulling any air in. Assuming you also pulled the pick up tube out and its all clean, everything else looks good. Also I'd assume that pick up tube o-ring into the pan checked out, or just replace it. You might be able to even just loosen the subframe bolts without fully pulling it to get the clearance you need.

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:37 am

Thanks for the advice guys, and sorry for the late response!

I had loosened, but not removed, the middle drivers side subframe bolt thinking that would be enough but once I removed it fully I was easily able to pull the subframe down far enough to get it back on.

And yeah I cleaned off the gross RTV, somehow despite it being globbed on there the pickup screen was very clean so I'm not sure where the rest of the squeeze out from there went. Pulled the valve cover at the same time and the engine is very very clean so I guess I lucked out. But yeah dropping the pan without a lift is certainly doable but a recipe for a stiff neck and back!

Return to “Random Thoughts”