Anyone here owned an old(er) BMW?

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Anyone here owned an old(er) BMW?

Postby hutch » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:40 pm

I figured I would ask here as we are all seemingly like-minded gearheads with a similar penchant for quality engineering and interesting designs.

Lately I've been getting the RWD itch and have been eying up some older BMWs, even if it feels a little bit like Luke joining up with Vader coming from driving Saabs. The ones I've been paying most attention to are the mid-late 80's 635csi and an E36 M3, both seem like they are pretty sporty but not full on track-only cars. They are also from an era where cars were beginning to be (more so the 635) computer controlled but not total slaves to electronic control, and simple enough to work on yourself. My guess is either can be a money pit if you end up on the wrong side of a repair bill, but I've read enough about the common problems that it seems like similar to a B235 engine as long as you maintain it properly its not going to bite you too hard).

The 635 seems like it would be more of a GT cruiser, while the M3 obviously has a lot of track potential. My guess is the 635 would be more my preference but on paper the M3 seems like it does everything better, while being newer and potentially more reliable. I think the 635 is top 3 most attractive BMW ever made and the M3 is obviously iconic, even if the E36 doesn't get as much love.

So, does anyone have any experience or horror stories with these cars? I've read plenty about them but don't really know anyone that has owned either of these cars to know what living with them is really like.

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Re: Anyone here owned an old(er) BMW?

Postby 99Super » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:59 am

Hutch,
2 years ago I had a 88 325iS drop in my lap for cheap. I've only put a few hundred miles on it, but it's certainly fun to drive.
Problem is, it's expensive. Everything involving BMWs is expensive. A new key was $80.
When you replace the timing belt (I'm so spoiled w/Saab's chains), you replace the tensioner and water pump at the same time. Just because it's a PITA to get to them.
I know of a few 6-series sitting in back yards. I'd love to build one up, but $$$.
That said, I'd rather find an E36 M3 to drop a B234 into...

John

Return to “Random Thoughts”