Does anyone not have a Saab anymore?

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Does anyone not have a Saab anymore?

Postby DrewP » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:06 pm

I have been DD'ing a 100 series Land Cruiser for almost four years, the girlfriend has a Honda Element, and I drive my '85 900T a few times a year. My daughter is 9 months old and has not ridden in it, because the sport seats don't have quick releases to get into the back seat where I'd have to put her carseat.

I feel guilty putting any time into the Saab because it's time I should be putting into fixing up our house and other things that benefit my life with the two lovely ladies of the house.

The garage and shed are still filled with parts to save countless Saabs from early deaths which need to go to homes that will use them.

The yellow race car has a happy new owner (it lives in Germany now) who is driving the car. It's now blue.

What's everyone else up to these days?
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: Does anyone not have a Saab anymore?

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:12 pm

My daily driver since 2014 is a 1999 9-5 sedan that I picked up from Jeff. Its just about to hit 290k miles and I just did all new rear brakes and front rotors and pads. It got a turbo back stainless exhaust last year and it still drives pretty nice though the body is getting a little rusty. My other car is a 1984 Land Cruiser FJ60 but I dont drive it in the winter and its sort of like my utility/ toy/ collector driver at the moment.
I am the 73%

Jon1
Number of Saabs currently owned: 30

Postby Jon1 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:35 pm

I currently have six classic 900 turbos registered/on the road. I also drive a 2004 Toyota Tacoma pick up truck. I have accumulated a huge collection of parts to keep my classic 900s on the road for years to come.
Jon
jon1
with many classic 900 turbos

ahanson
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby ahanson » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:17 pm

I've still got three 8-valve n/a 900s. Two of them I try to put away for the winter, since they're rust-free Western cars. The third is a winter beater that I just finished putting an engine and transmission into in the hope of keeping it on the road for a few more years. Last winter, I drove a 2010 Jetta wagon, while my '83 Saab awaited its new motor. I'll admit, it can be hard to justify taking time to work on my cars instead of on my house, or instead of spending time with my son. But he'll be driving in a few years and says he wants to drive one of the Saabs, so I guess I'll carry on. I've been getting into TSD rallying in the Saabs, too, which keeps it interesting.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:26 pm

I didnt mention the 71 99, 7x 96 rally car, 900 rally car, 2 900 notchbacks, and maybe more I've forgotten about. Plus some 99 parts cars still over at Jon's that we will be scrapping soon.
I am the 73%

dabird
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby dabird » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:02 pm

I just logged back in here the other day for the first time since I sold my 88 Turbo in 2012. My 17 year old is daily driving a crusty 92 900s that I found for him last year and it looks like we just bought the red 89 900 base that's listed in the classifieds.i guess my Saab collection is growing instead of shrinking

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Re: Does anyone not have a Saab anym ore?

Postby 99Super » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:32 pm

Still at it.
I took a job in Bend, OR last summer and did the back-and-forth thing until recently
I was putting a lot of miles on the 9000's and then the speedo drive gear failed on the CSE, so no cruise.
Long story short, bought a 2006 9-5T sedan and a 2004 9-5 Aero wagon.
The '04 is very clean, came w/16"mounted snows, well maintained, 170,000 miles. Needed all motor mounts, but that was it.
The Aero had a broken piston, but in decent condition, $400. Bores were undamaged so I threw in set of Wossners, a Genuine Saab timing and balance shaft kit, had the head gone through. New motor mounts. Rebuilt the rear suspension with adjustable lowers.
It's a fun car to put miles on, but was used hard so will need lots of care over time.
I found a trans for the 9000CSE, so hopefully have that car fixed by March/April. May have to sell it.
Still have my 5 99s. Having some T5 issues w/ Frank, but with the job and the move, I haven't had time to get back to it.
My 85 SPG went to Belgium.

Return to “Random Thoughts”