Mill/Lathe

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Mill/Lathe

Postby Geoff » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:10 pm

Hey Luke,
What kind of milling machine and lathe do you have? Seth tells me its one of those combo machines. Is it one of those cheap Harbor Fright jobs?

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:24 pm

Yep I have one of those combination machines. I use it as a lathe mostly and it works really well for that. The mill part works ok for small slotting operations but really isnt that great as a mill.
This is the one I have:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44142

Its the same exact unit as the grizzly one here and I've bought parts and accessories for it from them.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/g9729

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:27 pm

By the way, the thing is WAY bigger than it looks in pics. I was suprised when it came, it was like 800 lbs all boxed up and almost broke my engine crane trying to get it off the truck. Then I put it on a standard Craftsman workbench and it almost collasped. I ending up building a reinforcing cage out of 1x2" steel inside the work bench to support it.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:53 pm

The Grizzly specifications sheet says the machine weighs 525lb and shipping weight is almost 700lb. I've been looking at a used mill that has a 2'x2' footprint and the guy said it weighs around 650lb. I'm trying to figure out how to move something that size and weight across my lawn, through the basement door (walk out basement), through the basement, and into the shop. We got our wood stove across the lawn, up some stairs, and into the house and that weighs 525lb but I was able to strip it down to around 400lb. Anything more than that would be pretty much impossible (at least on stairs :-) )

So how is the accuracy of that thing?
What makes it not-so-great as far as working as a milling machine?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:36 pm

usually Geoff moves these things by tricking me into coming down for one reason or another....and then says oh, we need to move this box into the basement. 2 hernia operations later its all nicely installed.
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:36 am

Hey! I've managed to get TWO wood stoves UP STAIRS into my house without your help! And you complain about moving a door, sheesh! :lol:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:40 am

The unit is just not rigid enough to mill very well. Its fine with small end mills and shallow cuts though.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:09 am

Geoff wrote:Hey! I've managed to get TWO wood stoves UP STAIRS into my house without your help! And you complain about moving a door, sheesh! :lol:

I seem to remember moving a bed and a dresser up to the second floor of your house. I also seem to remember helping your dad unload the majority of a certain moving truck.

:twisted:
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:10 am

Oh whatever :P

Return to “Random Thoughts”