D.O.T Auto-X tires & other stuff

Post for sale/wanted items here
SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

D.O.T Auto-X tires & other stuff

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:24 am

Wanted.

205/50/15 D.O.T. race tires for my 86 900. Something with a few events left on them. I'm gonna put em on my 15x6.5 Panasports. Don't have alot of time to get it together if I'm gonna make the starting grid of the Duryea Hillclimb in Reading on the 22/23rd of August. Entering the tan 86 900 8valve car in ITB. Still need to add the harness bar and 2 door bars on each side. I have a Safety Devices bolt in cage. I need to add a 5 pt harness and a window net. I need to put an approved fire extinguisher in reach of the driver. Need to add some cage padding. Have to install the master switch on the cowl. or just inside the drivers window.

I also have to do front/rear pads and rotors. I have to finish swapping in the new motor mounts, and front mount. Id like to install my manual rack and do a track alignment to her.
The engine could use a little tuning to get her up to snuff.

Anyone with good used stuff that will further my cause please let me know.

Thanks,

Jason
Attachments
tan 900.jpg
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: D.O.T Auto-X tires & other stuff

Postby Hans » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:59 pm

Try http://sccaforums.com/forums/14/ShowForum.aspx. SCCA Forums (not affiliated with SCCA, actually) is the largest autocross-related forum on the web and often has people buying/selling used DOT rubber. You might have better luck with tires that were not used on a car raced in a Stock class. Often, such cars are very camber-limited so you end up with funky wear on the edges, especially FWD cars. That said, people flip tires all the time, too.

If you want a Hoosier in a road-racing compound, try http://www.improvedtouring.com, as SCCAforums.com users usually has the A6 compound for sale, not the R6.

saabhelp
Number of Saabs currently owned: 17

Postby saabhelp » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:49 pm

Have you ever thought of 13 inch rims and tires?
Worked well for me in Autocross.
Ted

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:38 pm

Ted,

the thought has crossed my mind, Do you still have yours? Wanna loan em out? I would have to check on the rules to see if its allowed. IT is pretty strict. I put a set of hood louvers on my car (off a mid 80s pontiac sunbird turbo) and they wanted to bump me into a mod class. I have scads of 15 inch Saab wheels so I just figured to use them.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:34 pm

Straight out of the GCR

7. Wheels/Tires
a. Any wheel/tire may be used within the following limitations:
1. Cars originally equipped with twelve (12) inch wheels may
fit thirteen (13) inch wheels. Cars originally equipped with
metric 365 wheels may fit fourteen (14) inch wheels, and
cars originally equipped with metric 390 wheels may fit
fifteen (15) inch wheels. The above-mentioned cars as
well as those cars originally equipped with thirteen (13)
inch or fourteen (14) inch wheels may fit up to a fifteen
(15) inch wheel. Cars may not fit wheel diameters smaller
than those listed on their spec line. All other cars shall
retain the wheel diameter fitted as original equipment for
their make, model, and type. Knockoff/quickchange type
wheels are prohibited. Wheels must be made of metal.
Cars classified in ITR may utilize any wheel diameter up to
17” or retain their stock diameter wheels if larger.

So much for going with 13's

SeanKHotay
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby SeanKHotay » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:20 am

saabhelp wrote:Have you ever thought of 13 inch rims and tires?
Ted

On a SAAB? I tried Ford 14" steel rims for previous Enduro rules and they didn't clear the front brakes ('88- SAABs).

Altho 14" VW bug rims clear the -'73 99 brakes...trying to remember if those stayed the same for the '74-'87 brakes...

hotrodlarry
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby hotrodlarry » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:12 pm

I had a set of 205/50zr15 Hoosier slicks on '86 wheels. Sold 'em for $100 last month.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:01 am

That's the story of my life.... a day late and 100 dollars and some slicks short!

Doesn't look like Im making the grid this season, Money is tight and Im nearly out of time to get my S together. Maybe next year.

saabhelp

Postby saabhelp » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:36 am

SeanKHotay wrote:
saabhelp wrote:Have you ever thought of 13 inch rims and tires?
Ted

On a SAAB? I tried Ford 14" steel rims for previous Enduro rules and they didn't clear the front brakes ('88- SAABs).

Altho 14" VW bug rims clear the -'73 99 brakes...trying to remember if those stayed the same for the '74-'87 brakes...

All I had to was trim off about a 1/4 inch of the fromt caliper yoke. There are also toyota wheels. The 91 runs pinto wheels. For autocross I ran EP/ESP.
Ted
http://aitswedishperformance.com/ Photo on main page show 13 inch wheels on the car with 9 inch wide slicks.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:43 am

Im new to "organized" racing.

I consulted with the tech inspection officials from my SCCA region. And based on my skill level, and current mods to my 86 900. (daily driver) They determined that ITB would be a good place for me to start. From the standpoint of ease of prep, and putting me in a class that I might stand a chance of not getting discouraged, we chose that class. I just had a notchback follow me home this past weekend that may end up as a Prepared car. I can go for glory with the notchback , I need to keep the 86 in one piece so I can get to work on Monday.

saabhelp

Postby saabhelp » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:01 pm

If you need any help with the "prod" car let me know. We now have two cars running in FP.
Ted

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:49 am

Thanks,

What I need the most is money, its in short supply right now as the economy is really putting a squeeze on my budget. My screen printing business is just scraping by this year.
I may solicit some ad space on the car in exchange for parts , labor, or cash. Hopefully I can manage to get the advice for free.

Im still evaluating the notchback to see if its worth it. There are some rust holes near the factory jack points and the aft portions of the rear wheelwells. Its not a restoration so that should be no biggie. It's an 86 so it has the 16v. It runs like a pig right now but nothing I cant figure out. At the least the 5 spd seems to be in good shape. I got the car for 200 bucks. So Ill at least get my money back in parts.

But Im gonna get my feet wet in the 86, run that for a few seasons, So the notchback prepared car is a "future" project. I still need to find a good set of 15 inch gumballs. Then I can go racing with what I have.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:11 am

Finally found the tire and wheel combo for my hillclimb effort. Bought a set of Saab Shelby's from a local mechanic. Cleaned em up and painted em gloss black. Ordered a set of Falken Azenis RT615 tires in 205/50/15. Also found a nice chrome acorn lug nut that works with that wheel.

Has anyone had any experience with the Falkens? Wondering what the verdict on them is in terms of grip, life expectancy etc.

Im getting them mounted and balanced shortly, and expect to post a few pics of the test fit on the car.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:49 am

I don't have experience with Azenis, but they are highly recommended... I think last year they were dropped to #2 by GRM for the Bridgestone RE-XX, but I think they are more expensive.

Personally, I find 205 street tires a too wide on 5.5" rim. Maybe the Azenis are stiff enough not to "balloon" , but you will be able to find out yourself. I like 195/50s because the overall tires are shorter and give a little better acceleration because of the shorter gearing.

Are the lug nuts you have have centering top-hats? Shelby's need a different lug style than most other SAAB wheels.

edit: 5.5" rim

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:20 am

I had BF Goodrich Euro TA's on my Panasport 6.5 wide wheels and they fit nicely. The Shelby's are only 5.5 wide. I have seen 205's on the standard 15 spoke Saab wheel and they were not too bulgy. Every tire is different though. ITB only allows me to run up to a 6 inch wide wheel. The lug nuts are shouldered with a washer and center the lug nut in the wider than normal lug bore of the Shelby wheels.

The RT615s are rather inexpensive at only 85.00 each. I only plan to run a limited number of events with this setup, and didn't want to spend 180 bucks a tire for the other options.

Return to “FOR SALE / WANTED”