Post for sale/wanted items here
Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: For Sale: Poly Steering Rack bushings for Saab 99

Postby Geoff » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:36 pm

Make me a set!

Quinn, uppers are the same as 900 and I'm almost 100% sure the lowers are too. The only difference is the lowers use a different housing.

I'm using some Powerflex uppers in my '80 99 and want to put some lowers in at some point too.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:10 pm

Geoff , I saved you one of the prototype sets. I sent Quinn one. My mold getting pretty trashed but I can probably pull a couple more out.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:57 pm

cool. I'll take a prototype! I'll get it from you the next time we end up in the same place.

SaabsBreakDown
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:57 am

Geoff wrote:Make me a set!

Quinn, uppers are the same as 900 and I'm almost 100% sure the lowers are too. The only difference is the lowers use a different housing.

I'm using some Powerflex uppers in my '80 99 and want to put some lowers in at some point too.

I'm concerned the difference in the housing on the lower ones will result in a pretty big castor change. My car has one side with 900 housings and one side with 99's right now. also, the bolt hole spacing is different, presumably to prevent such useage. Any thoughts on this?

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:09 pm

I used Powerflex in the upper, and lower arms on my 900. I also have Powerflex bushings in my manual EMS steering rack. They are a bit pricey, but nice quality. I have generic poly bushings in the front shocks upper and lower and the upper shock in the rear. My front sway bar has poly bushings, they came from SAS . The only rubber left in the front of the car is the lower spring perch. I am saving up for a complete rear set too. All in all I think I'll have about 6-700 bucks wrapped up in bushings by the time I'm thru. Really tightens up the car tho. Couple that with plated upper and lower front arms and it gets better again.

I have a set of Jordan's 99 rack bushings, I have not installed them but considering that my unobtainable stock ones are shot, they are very sweet. It's one less thing I have to engineer myself.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:30 pm

Bushings shouldn't change the alignment (unless the old ones are so shot that the alignment is off). I would bet that there could be a difference in alignment using 99vs900 lower housings. I've never mounted 900 lower housings on because the bolt pattern was different.
You could check the alignment after replacing housings....
I have one of these for camber/caster. Not too bad for the price.
http://www.toyheadauto.com/CasterCamberGauge.html

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Hans » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:07 pm

If you already own a digital level (recommended -- I've got a Sears level that seems to work pretty well), and are a cheap b@stard, you can DIY a camber/caster gauge: http://www.tomhoppe.com/index.php/2009/ ... ber-gauge/ (with parts from "Home Depot Racing" :lol: )

@SaabsBreakDown: FWIW, re: polyurethane bushings and stage rally, IIRC, Rob @ Scanwest told me they were destroying rear poly bushings after one event on their G2 c900. Presumably, the fronts would suffer the same fate??

I saw a book on how to make rubber bushings and thought it might be fun to try and copy the stock stuff with a harder durometer rubber. This is what Honda's competition people do vs. polyurethane for their production cars. Maybe someday...

SaabsBreakDown
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:00 pm

all i have thats poly is my front shock bushings.

got it, i'll just use the old 99 bushing blocks when i buy new bushings

i guess I was dreaming that maybe I'd be able to find bushings already in blocks or some such magical item

check out the blocks next time your standing around the parts pile, there is quite a bit of difference between 99 and 900's on the lowers

jhboult
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby jhboult » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:43 am

Are these still for sale/available? I recently bought a '79 99GL and love it. I've owned a 69' 96 DeLuxe, 2002 9-5 aero and 2005 9-3 aero. Always loved Saabs.

The previous owner told me that the 99 needed the rare steering rack bushing replaced. Sure enough, i hear a knocking on the passenger side when i hit sizable bumps. I took the wheel off and took a quick look. It looks like mainly the rack bushing that goes around the rack to keep it from knocking on the housing. The part that is under the rubber bellows. The D-bushing looks ok. But might as well replace both right?
Can both of these be replaced while keeping the rack mounted to the car? Can you just take off the ball joint and slip these over the rack, and the D-bushing around the housing?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:12 am

I don't have any left and my mold is pretty exhausted, so I don't foresee making any more in the near future. However, if it is just the circular bushing that is causing you trouble, you can take a piece of hard plastic tubing (ABS?) slit it and install it while still in the car. I forget the size, but its like 1.5 ID or something, I can look it up if you can't get in there measure. Both stock bushings are hard enough to install with the rack stripped down and out of the car, neither of which fit over the column box or bellows so slitting it would be the way to go. The mounts should keep everything in place.

jhboult

Postby jhboult » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:39 am

It seems to be the circular (cylindrical) bushing that's missing. That's probably what i will do. If you happen to know the ID and OD of what is needed, i will either find a similar bushing from another car (volvo, GM?) and trim it down until it does what it needs to do. The previous owner packed it full of grease for a very temporary fix (packed the whole bellows) so it is a mess. I need to jack it up, clean everything and take another look.

The rest of the bushing look pretty decent through out the suspension, maybe a good torquing down of some of them.

Is there anything on the steering rack that may need torquing down?

Any other advice for a new owner?

Thanks again for your help.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:02 am

I can measure the tubing I took the mold from when I get home and its width, I wouldn't even bother with trying to cut up a existing rubber one. It will probably transmit a little more road noise, but the feel should be much improved.

jhboult

Postby jhboult » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:15 am

Understood.

The measurements would be much appreciated. Please send them at your convenience.

Chouan
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Chouan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:19 am

Resurrecting this one. I am in need of these bushings. Seems there should be other interest as well.

swmeatball
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby swmeatball » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:45 pm

I'd be in for a set.

Return to “FOR SALE / WANTED”