Saab 99 motorsport quality engine mounts

Post for sale/wanted items here
SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: Saab 99 motorsport quality engine mounts

Postby SwedeSport » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:14 am

I think the biggest advantage is the cost. Solid hot rod style mounting is rather cheap. 20.00-40.00 at the metal supply would get you enough material to make a complete set of solid mounts. The biggest investment is the fab time to make em.

I think those front mounts that sonett makes are really nice. I don't intend to detract from his ingenuity when it comes to fab and engineering prowess. I feel the same way Jordan does about the overall cost of this setup. It is a bit tough to swallow that bill. I understand that its tough to make custom billet stuff cheap. Especially on low volume production. The exchange rate is a killer. If it wasnt for that and the expense of taking it over the pond, it would be easier to justify.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

sonett
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby sonett » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:11 pm

The exchange rate has not been too good for you guys for sometime. As you all probably know i've had quite a few NLA parts made for the 99, rack repair kits/rack mounts/engine mounts and even parts that are still available such has the nylon/stainless steel wishbone bushes, i have been in the fortunate position to have these professionally made at 'mates' rates so the cost has been as low as i can get it, CNC machine time is not exactly cheap!
The postage cost for the full kit to the US would be around £15, the parcel would be around 1.5kg. I only have a few mounts left and it has taken since 2007 to justify having another batch made, so after this batch it's anyones guess when the next batch will be.
'87 900i
'83 99GL
'76 EMS
'00 Evo 6 tme Red
'00 Evo 6 tme Black

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:34 pm

You need to just pack up and move to the states to set up a shop here.

BTW, I have a 76 EMS rack in my 99, what rack parts were you making? How bout parts for the 900 EMS rack?

How long do I have to decide if I want to get in on the mounts? Do you expect to knock of a few extra sets or are you only making this stuff to order?

sonett
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby sonett » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:06 pm

Shop! No thanks. I don't exactly make a living doing these parts, in fact i just about cover my expenses, fuel etc, i don't include the cost of my time, i'm just an enthusiast like most people on these forums.
The rack parts i made were aluminium rack mounts to completely replace the two original steel/rubber mounts. The repair kits for the racks included two phosphour bronze inner bearing cups and a special nylon bush for the end of the inside of the rack tube. No 900 parts so far.
I had 20 sets made, but only orders for 17, so i had to go for twenty units, i have 2 sets left, so when they've gone, they've gone, first come first served.
'87 900i
'83 99GL
'76 EMS
'00 Evo 6 tme Red
'00 Evo 6 tme Black

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:18 pm

I have a friend with a HAAS mill in his garage and we work on custom pieces from time to time. Luckily we don't have to bill one another but the last piece we designed and built had about 10 hours of each of hour time involved...So you figure thats about $2000 to develop one piece not including gas, electricity, machine time etc.
I am the 73%

sjones

Postby sjones » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:25 am

Installed all three of sonnett's mounts in the '77 5DR last night thanks to the help of kuponut, pepe and Bill Cummings at nwsoc's Fix-it day. The bolts supplied for the front mount were not the correct thread, so Bill took the oppourtunity to give us a tour of Johnson's hardware (cost: 30 cents). I drained the radiator and set it on top of the engine and we got to work. As we were replacing the front mount, we discovered that we'd have to remove the alternator in order to raise the front of the engine up a little more to get the newer mount in place. We then did the passenger side, it's nut is easily accessible from the engine bay, but the feared driver's side took the most time. Everyone took turns trying to get at the lower nut through the wheel well. Once I set the engine back down and Bill torqued the nuts we realized that the engine was now sitting slightly higher. Pepe was concerned that shifting could be affected. After wrestling with the alternator and fan box to get the longer lower bolt in (which was lost for about 30 minutes at one point), the radiator was put back in and I started it up so we could top off the coolant. The engine did not wobble a bit. Bill rev'ed it and all of the movement it had before was gone.

I took the long way back home and was impressed with the huge difference the new mounts made. Of course, they are much stiffer than the stock mounts ever were and you feel more engine in the car, but original mounts were beyond shot. So that and the new springs, shocks and tires makes this car feel and handle like a completely different vehicle. Thanks again to the guys in the club for the help. Let me know about your projects and how I can help out.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:43 am

That is gonna feel rock solid.

This is going into the 5 door you are restoring?

sjones

Postby sjones » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:50 pm

SwedeSport wrote:That is gonna feel rock solid.
This is going into the 5 door you are restoring?

Yes, they went into the '77 5dr and yeah, the car just keeps getting better. It was a huge improvement. The engine was so wobbly before that the alternator pully would cut into the fan box from time to time. I also had a metallic rattle (likely in the exhaust) at speeds around 50 which went away as well. Some of the guys in the club thought they might be too stiff and cause vibration in inside the car, but I have not noticed that. I can feel the engine more through the steering wheel, but that isn't bad.

Buttercup
Nickname: Buttercup
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Buttercup » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:08 pm

I know this is an OLD topic! but wondering if anyone has a source of high quality engine mounts for the Saab 99 at this time? We're redoing a 1977 99GL 5 door/wagonback right now and while the engine is out is the perfect time to get those mounts in place. We have some welding done in the engine bay while the engine was out and the body shop managed to throw away (yes!) the front engine mount-- which was in surprisingly good shape. So rather than find a used front mount for the moment, I thought I'd start the serious look for good motor mounts all around.

Thanks! for any help you can provide.

Jon1
Number of Saabs currently owned: 30

Postby Jon1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:55 pm

I will send you a front motor mount tomorrow.
Jon
jon1
with many classic 900 turbos

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:17 pm

Hockey pucks with a hole drilled through the center of them work well for the side mounts in a 99. Sometimes you have to cut a flat on the diameter where the mount gets near the A Arm pivot. puck works well in the front too.

*feel like maybe I said this before* :lol:
I am the 73%

Jon1
Number of Saabs currently owned: 30

Postby Jon1 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:49 am

Jon

jon1

with many classic 900 turbos

Return to “FOR SALE / WANTED”