Feeler: 1978 Saab 99 5 door and parts car

Post for sale/wanted items here
Chips99
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Feeler: 1978 Saab 99 5 door and parts car

Postby Chips99 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:48 pm

Kind of just seeing if there is any interest in this, I am currently tied up in one to many projects so if this sold I wouldn't mind but if not I'll just hang onto them.

So it's a '78 99 5 door, lived all of it's life in California except until the past few years, I bought it for the drive train (which I put in my other '78 99 (red) before I started swapping it over to 5 speed 16V) Currently as it sits it has the original B motor in it mated to the 3 speed auto. I have everything to convert it back to the 4 speed including the transmission and other parts except the actual clutch kit. It's very solid except for the rear hatch which had rust developing around the corners of the windows so I swapped a black hatch onto it from a 900 I had kicking around that was rust free. Still have the original hatch and it's pretty decent and could be fixed, it goes with the car. This car is very solid with pretty much zero rust, when I first got it the paint was baked off it so in an effort to preserve it from rusting I spray painted it with some el-cheapo spray paint which has worked pretty good and is just now starting to flake off, most likely would need new paint :P . Interior is pretty much junk and I've stripped most of it out. Does run and move under it's own power but I would suggest towing it home as the brakes might be iffy from sitting I haven't driven it more than around the country roads.

'78 99 (red) is probably best used as a donor car for the 5 door as the interior is pretty decent but the shell is pretty rusty underneath. Has a crudely installed 16V n/a with a 5 speed transmission does move around but isn't really finished needs wiring to gauges finished and cooling hoses sorted out. Front spindles have been swapped with ones from a '91 900 and the rear axle hasn't been swapped out for the '91 900 but it goes with car if someone wants it. I was told the transmission 5 speed from a '91 900 was rebuilt with about 20k miles on it, no way to prove it but I have no reason to doubt it as the guy I bought it from is pretty honest and I buy lots of Saab parts from him. Seemed to shift ok too. All in all this car is probably best suited for parts. New stuff when I attempted the 16v swap included brand new alternator, brand new front calipers, brand new clutch kit and slave cylinder.

Also various other parts that go with the cars are:
set of steel rims
the original 99 hatch from the orange car with slight rust around bottom corners of glass
900 rear axle

I would like $2500 for the 5 door and $1000 for the parts car but I am open to offers whatever they may be. (I might even let the parts car go for less if I could keep the drivetrain from it for my '93 900) I would like both cars to go and would prefer to sell as a pair. I am located about 20 minutes north of Montpelier VT.

Pics can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62619143@N ... 671771441/

Return to “FOR SALE / WANTED”