NOS reflectors 900 79-87?

Post for sale/wanted items here
ReinO
Nickname: Rein-O
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: NOS reflectors 900 79-87?

Postby ReinO » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:28 pm

You got all that light drawing that much power, and you haven't considered HID conversion? :huh:

Im not going to go above the stock 55/60 H4 bulbs actually, but i'm planning to mount a pari of Hella Jumbo 220 with 35w HID conversion. ;) I think that will be a really nice upgrade. And it's legal too! :woohoo:

The thing i was wondering in my previous post, was how much light you would get out of those parking light housings with a powerful bulb, if it would be similar to the foglights or the low beam.
[Rein-O Racing]

Aircraft: Saab 900s -90 (Blackie)

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:51 pm

The parking light reflector is not capable of projecting the light properly. Its just a chrome plated plastic reflector. I use the parking lights at dusk. It helps a little.

It's really more of a flood light.

I went that route because I had Cibie 200 mm units that I put in the car. I upgraded the harness to fit those, and when I broke one I couldnt replace it. So I went with the Hellas.

The Rally (Hella 500s) were bought years ago, so I just used those.

The Parking light was just a observation when I was digging thru a box of spare bezels/lenses. So I threw it together as an experiment, and it worked.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

ReinO

Postby ReinO » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:38 pm

Okay, just as i could imagine then.

It's always fun when experiments works nicely. =) Congrats on that one.
[Rein-O Racing]

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:08 pm

I like the look of the C900 '79-'86 US headlights.

But the original US Department Of Transportation (DOT) lights were no good (the light isn't aimed well). The non-US 200mm replacement lights with separate H4 bulbs work great though. I've owned cars with both the 200mm non-US lights and with the the factory non-US ("European") head lights. With new lenses and new reflectors they seem to put out the same amount of light.

I would think you'd be able to buy the 200mm lights at places like Biltema. There have to be cars in Europe that take those headlights because they're a standard product and not designed for specific cars. They also fit motorcycles.

I don't like the Hella brand as much as the IPF brand lights. IPF also makes some nice bulbs that don't draw much more power but put out a lot more light.

One big thing to keep in mind is that the C900 headlight wiring harnesses aren't very good, you lose a lot of voltage. If you aren't getting full battery voltage (14.3v) at the bulb with the car running and the lights on, you're losing light. If you're only getting 12v at the bulb, you've lost 40% of your light output.

I put a HID conversion into my '86 900 once but these headlights are designed to aim a small filament, not a HID bulb which tends to put light over a larger area. I couldn't get them aimed right so they were blinding oncoming traffic so I took them out.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

tweek's Turbos
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby tweek's Turbos » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:00 pm

Here is a closer up pic of the front of a pre face lift car with the Hella H4s.

ReinO

Postby ReinO » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:35 pm

Thanks Tweaks Turbo's, for that Hi-res picture, and thanks everyone for all the information i've gotten. :yay:

So.. Could anyone check up on how much a set of US headlight setup would cost me? That would be asesome. :thumbsup:
[Rein-O Racing]

tweek's Turbos

Postby tweek's Turbos » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:16 pm

I can donate to you a pair of the stock lame sealed beam headlights in good working order I took out of my SPG when I put in the Hellas.

PM me where you want them sent. The trim around the headlights I may also have, but chances are those are back in NY and I may be able to find them over Christmas.

ReinO

Postby ReinO » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:02 pm

tweek's Turbos wrote:I can donate to you a pair of the stock lame sealed beam headlights in good working order I took out of my SPG when I put in the Hellas.

PM me where you want them sent. The trim around the headlights I may also have, but chances are those are back in NY and I may be able to find them over Christmas.

PM sent. ;)
[Rein-O Racing]

ReinO

Postby ReinO » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:17 pm

Hey again. I was wondering if someone could check upp on how much a set of headlight brackets and trim would cost me. Doesn't need to be in tip top shape, as long as they can be used. The trim can be repainted.

If you could look up the shipping cost to Uppsala, Sweden, i would be glad.
[Rein-O Racing]

tweek's Turbos

Postby tweek's Turbos » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:34 pm

I can do this coming friday. Know a good car.

Return to “FOR SALE / WANTED”