1978 Jade Green Saab 99GL in Vermont

Post for sale/wanted items here
Paddan
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

1978 Jade Green Saab 99GL in Vermont

Postby Paddan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:43 pm

Off topic a bit because I am not sure its for sale, but does anyone know anything about this Saab which is parked at a residence near the Chanticler restaurant off Rt. 7 in Dorset, Vermont just outside Manchester?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: 1978 Jade Green Saab 99GL in Vermont

Postby Crazyswede » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:26 pm

If it is the car i remember it is someones toy...i want to say it was revived years ago...but do not remember for sure. Airsweden might know.
I am the 73%

Paddan

Postby Paddan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:35 pm

I don't think it has plates on it anymore. There was one the same color that used to be parked at one of the motels on the way to Bromley. The bottom quarters of that one were pretty well shot and filled with plastic and that was years ago. Has to be the same one. Could not get close enough to it to see without going on private property.

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:54 pm

Henry Bronson, he owns and runs "Bistro Henry". It's there right before 11/30 hits 7 near Manchester. Yeah, bit of a junker now and I'm not digging the kermit the frog green on green.
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:55 pm

Paddan wrote:I don't think it has plates on it anymore. There was one the same color that used to be parked at one of the motels on the way to Bromley. The bottom quarters of that one were pretty well shot and filled with plastic and that was years ago. Has to be the same one. Could not get close enough to it to see without going on private property.

I didnt think we had private property in Vt
I am the 73%

Paddan

Postby Paddan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:01 am

It is a bit Kermity, but if it were decent, I'd have walked myself into Bistro Henry and discussed whether it needed a new home. I test drove an identical one when it was about 2 years old and it was at my local dealer when my '76 was in their shop. Alas, as I was 18 years old amd a dependent, it was too much for my "budget" at $5700, but it only had 19k miles, felt tighter than mine, which was nearing 100k miles and the mats were sisal and green and black check, which looked great. Shoulda known it was rough, as it is sitting outside unprotected. Love the little roadside vehicular sights in Vermont.

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:00 pm

He inherited it from an Aunt or something about 10 years ago. It had a decent-ish body then but it never ran right for him so it sat... and sat. I tried to buy it but he said he wanted to keep it for sentimental reasons. I also tried to get him to let me or Chris Rizzon work on it so it might actually run well. He kept bringing it to some other shop in town who didn't give a crap but took his money. Maybe he is finnaly over it? Might as well ask. I sold him the soccer balls on it with decent tires for $200. It took about a year for him to pay me and when he did he complained that they had gone flat just sitting that long.. lol. He lives there at the end of Benedict lane in east dorset, along side route 7a near chanticleer.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:58 pm

airsweden wrote:He inherited it from an Aunt or something about 10 years ago. It had a decent-ish body then but it never ran right for him so it sat... and sat. I tried to buy it but he said he wanted to keep it for sentimental reasons. I also tried to get him to let me or Chris Rizzon work on it so it might actually run well. He kept bringing it to some other shop in town who didn't give a crap but took his money. Maybe he is finnaly over it? Might as well ask. I sold him the soccer balls on it with decent tires for $200. It took about a year for him to pay me and when he did he complained that they had gone flat just sitting that long.. lol. He lives there at the end of Benedict lane in east dorset, along side route 7a near chanticleer.

Thats the car I thought it was but I could not remember the details. I remember you trying to get it at one point in time with no luck.
I am the 73%

Paddan

Postby Paddan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:37 pm

Airsweden - thanks for the information. That is indeed the car. I bet I know the "shop" the owner brought it to; it always has a few vehichles for sale in front on Rt. 7 closer to Manchester. If so, I have not heard many positive stories about their service. Rizzon is the only guy who should have serviced that 99 and it would be running well today.
There was a very sweet Solar Red '77 99 GL that he serviced - the car had very low mileage and the waterpump self destructed while idling at his shop with the owner present. It was just outside Dorset. The owner wanted $4k for it after it was driven to about 56k miles and was starting to show wear - then ended up asking $8k. Wonder whatever happened to it.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:58 pm

Paddan wrote:Airsweden - thanks for the information. That is indeed the car. I bet I know the "shop" the owner brought it to; it always has a few vehichles for sale in front on Rt. 7 closer to Manchester. If so, I have not heard many positive stories about their service. Rizzon is the only guy who should have serviced that 99 and it would be running well today.
There was a very sweet Solar Red '77 99 GL that he serviced - the car had very low mileage and the waterpump self destructed while idling at his shop with the owner present. It was just outside Dorset. The owner wanted $4k for it after it was driven to about 56k miles and was starting to show wear - then ended up asking $8k. Wonder whatever happened to it.

Yeah we know about that one too. I don't remember the details on it either...other than I thought they wanted a lot of money for it and I think it sat.
I am the 73%

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:41 pm

Yeah, that red one was nice. Darryl Carl formerly of New Salem SAAB has it now. I was working at Chris' when this guy Rick from around the corner brought it in maybe in 2003 or something. He was showing it off to us, had just picked it up for his 16 y/o daughter. We were standing there talking story in the driveway with the hood open and engine idling when it started to sound crunchy. Next thing you know it's over heating. He had me install one of those ewp deals instead of fixing it correctly. When I drove it after that I think it had 18k on the clock. I had heard of that car for years before that but thought the rumor was just a tall tale. It was said an old guy in Rutland bought it new and soon after was unable to drive for medical reasons so it sat in a garage for almost 30 years. There was some fading on carpets and seats but it was def the newest feeling 99 I ever drove.

Paddan

Postby Paddan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:35 am

Ha Airsweden - you probably told me the story - or Chris did. Remember my Dorado Brown 79 96V4 Super?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Paddan wrote:Ha Airsweden - you probably told me the story - or Chris did. Remember my Dorado Brown 79 96V4 Super?

do tell
I am the 73%

Paddan

Postby Paddan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:36 pm

The V4 Super? It was actually Chamotte Brown. I imported it from Canada and it was delivered to me by the PO to Manchester Vt. Chris worked on it because it had some immediate needs. Chris also worked on a Dorado Brown 99 GLi that I had with about 42k miles which I had up there - it won the 99 class at SOC '00 in Kerhonksen NY. Interestingly, I sold the 99 to the same fellow from whom I bought the 96V4 Super. Presently own a 1980 900 Turbo 5 door that has a little over 45k miles which is off topic, but 6 degrees of separation, I guess.

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:47 am

Ok, that's who you are... Kurt right? Still into Rovers too?

Both those cars of yours were great to see. Soon after your 96 passed through Chris got a recently imported metalic green 79 96 in for a clutch job. Was that guy a pal of yours? I can't remember his name. I liked that one a lot too. It was a real pleasure to take for a little test ride once we had the engine back in.

Josh

Return to “FOR SALE / WANTED”