Guy parting out 40 Saabs in Ramona, CA

Post for sale/wanted items here
RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Guy parting out 40 Saabs in Ramona, CA

Postby RadioFlyer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:29 pm

I know this should be in the craigslist thread, but I figured it was cool enough for it's own...
This guy put up an ad in Saabnet almost two years ago. I had found out about it just before the ad and a friend with more cash and less Saab experience than me paid for the trip out to visit. We rented a mini van and gave the guy a wad of cash to fill it with whatever we wanted. We took home two sets of airflow bumpers, SPG panels, some wicked rare stuff, and everything all of my c900s would ever need. He said he would be scrapping everything within a couple of months, so I told him I would tell everyone I knew, but then lost my phone and his number. Well, he didn't lose his property and did not scrap the cars and I just got a call from him - he is still parting stuff out. So get it while you can. I thought he was kidding, but no -there are about 40 saabs in there c900, 900, at least on 99, 95, and 96. Plus an entire trailer full of really nice rare parts from Sonetts and vintage. A couple of the c900s had around 50k miles, and there was very little rust. Anything plastic or rubber was not great. Dashes were all cracked. But if you need anything, he probably has it. You can see he has a trunk FULL of alternators. Also has another one FULL of instrument clusters - even the really old c900 ones. The pics below are from our visit.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pts/3366369107.html

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: Guy parting out 40 Saabs in Ramona, CA

Postby DrewP » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:00 pm

I picked through that yard about 2 years ago too - he was trying to sell both Airflow cars whole and wanted something like $1500/ea, and neither ran.

The 99 is rusted to shit. Only like 2/3rds of the material is left, it's incredible.

Lots of C900's though, and worth a call. We already went through and got basically all the unbroken headlamp buckets, turn signals, signal stalk switches, some other things.

There was a '79 900 GLi there that was basically complete last I was there, he was trying to sell that one whole.

The 2-stroke stuff in the trailer would probably be plenty to build a runner or two, last time I was there I saw probably 5-6 cranks, 3-4 empty blocks, and 2 complete blocks, plus extra stuff in boxes.

The deal is this guy owns the lot, and was letting a local Saab repair shop (Absolute Saab, in Escondito I believe), and the shop slowed way down, mechanic couldn't pay his rent on the cars stored there, and he got them all through a storage lein and is trying to make what he can from what's there.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:34 pm

Drew, did you go out there with Walter Wong? I heard he got there before I did. Another guy apparently came in pretty early and snagged a c900 rear decor panel from one of the airflows and paid $25 for it. That would have been nice. By the time I got there though, the guy knew pretty much what he had and his head had swollen quite a bit. But he can be easily maneuvered with cash. Especially lots of small bills. :)

He said his email and voicemail was totally full of people wanting him to ship parts from the airflows. We just got there and offered cash for whatever we wanted and he seemed to like that.

Anyway, there is a lot of good stuff there even though the rare stuff has been pretty picked through. He does have some stash somewhere though with some really cool stuff. He pulled out a set of speaker grilles with factory tweeters and a couple of Saab under-seat trashcans for us.

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:43 pm

I worked for Walter at the time, to my knowledge he never actually made it out there. He will call and schedule, but always flake out.

I went with my room-mate, who worked at Elite Foreign Auto at the time.

We did the same thing, said I've got $400, I'm gonna make a pile over there. When it gets to be a $400 pile, let me know and we'll talk some more.

By the time we got there he had done some homework online and eBay and whatnot, but cash definitely talks to this guy.

Also keep in mind - everything has been sitting out in a field for near 10 years in San Diego sun - most of the rubber or plastic things are pretty well aged by now, but there is definitely some good stuff.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:08 pm

RadioFlyer wrote:But he can be easily maneuvered with cash. Especially lots of small bills. :)

Reminds me of some women I've seen...
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Cark
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Cark » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:19 pm

reminds me of the estate sale that took place a month ago in VT... except maybe this has been pretty picked over already?
03 9-5 Aero Wagon 5 spd M/T
85 900 turbo 5 spd 105k miles - Trionic 5ed in a day

pyrrhic
Nickname: Ren

Postby pyrrhic » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:30 pm

Anyone got a contact for this guy? The CL ad is old and down.

Perhaps he might have some of the centercaps I'm looking for: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2886

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:28 pm

I had a cached page in my browser, try emailing to khzkt-3366369107@sale.craigslist.org

He put this ad up over the weekend, maybe that one will go through:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pts/3399889230.html

k94vn-3399889230@sale.craigslist.org

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:40 pm

Yeah, here is his email. His name is Scott. Tell him Sam sent you.

stgc61@hotmail.com

pyrrhic
Nickname: Ren

Postby pyrrhic » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:17 pm

Well, yesterday I posted on a few Saab sites about my search for these elusive center caps, which I had been after for a few months. The search paid off as I found someone who is selling me five caps (one with a hole drilled through that can be used as a spare) for $60. However, I am also looking for an inside door pull handle for a Sonett II for a friend here in Germany, maybe I'll luck out with this guy. Thanks for the contact!

Return to “FOR SALE / WANTED”