Where to buy a steering rack/hoses for an '80 c900?

Post for sale/wanted items here
RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Where to buy a steering rack/hoses for an '80 c900?

Postby RadioFlyer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:51 am

First, are racks the same for all years? Since the '80 has the pump and res in a different spot, I'm worried that it's somehow different. Any suggestions where to get a good rebuilt rack, or best to rebuild yourself?

Second, what about the hoses? The Saab Site only sells from '81 on, but Eeuro says theirs fit all years. Anyone know if the '80 hoses are different and where to buy replacements? I figure while I'm in there, it might be a good idea to replace them too.

Suggestions appreciated.

jdwertz
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: Where to buy a steering rack/hoses for an '80 c900?

Postby jdwertz » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:27 am

RadioFlyer wrote:First, are racks the same for all years? Since the '80 has the pump and res in a different spot, I'm worried that it's somehow different. Any suggestions where to get a good rebuilt rack, or best to rebuild yourself?

Second, what about the hoses? The Saab Site only sells from '81 on, but Eeuro says theirs fit all years. Anyone know if the '80 hoses are different and where to buy replacements? I figure while I'm in there, it might be a good idea to replace them too.

Suggestions appreciated.

For rebuilds check out JAC Rack, apparently the owner is Swedish? Anyway they do rebuilds in house and don't just resell the junk Maval rebuilds. http://www.jorgenauto.com/

I learned this the hard way and now have to replace an 8 month old rebuild with a warranty replacement from carsteering....

RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby RadioFlyer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:16 am

I've heard of them. Any idea what they charge? Do you send in your actual rack for rebuild, or is it a core charge?

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:08 am

The hoses are different as the power steering pump is on the opposite side of the engine on a B motor.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:20 am

Rack is the same as later C900s. As Luke said the hoses are different.
I put a steering pump from an '80 900 into my '76 99 (formerly automatic so it had a power rack). I built my own lines using AN fittings and stainless braided flex line. I had to get an AN to Saginaw fitting for the PS pump
I forget what I used on the rack side, maybe a banjo.

If your line isn't leaking I'd suggest using the stock one until you need to replace it.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

jdwertz
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby jdwertz » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:16 pm

I just spoke with them a few weeks ago, very helpful on the phone. I believe it was in the $220 range plus a core charge. Though they had no cores on hand at the time and said it would take them about a week to get a rebuilt shipped out.

Plus they use a nice "battleship grey" to repaint their units which is a nice factory match.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:21 pm

I just installed rack #3 into my 88 900... no leaks yet. Keep an eye on the rack boots. Some of the remanufacturers use some pretty shitty rubber there!
Less brake more gas!

ahanson
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby ahanson » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:16 pm

I have a rebuilt rack sitting around in a box. I think it's from Maval. Are their rebuilds really as bad as all that?

Return to “FOR SALE / WANTED”