FS/Feeler: 1985 900S Notchback

Post for sale/wanted items here
hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

FS/Feeler: 1985 900S Notchback

Postby hutch » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:55 pm

Putting a feeler out on this one, if theres no interest I'll fix up a few remaining issues and sell it for more money in the spring/summer but figured this is sort of the crowd that may want it as it stands. Anyway, its my 85 900 notchback with ~170k miles on it and a mighty 8v engine. My cousin gave this car to me a few years ago and it has basically sat in my parents garage ever since as I've added some things and replaced bits. Ive started it up every once in a while and driven around the block but I feel bad having it sit around and I sort of would like a change in scenery and pick up a 99 or a 900 covertible (blasphemy on this site, I'm sure).

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2115

The Good
-95% rust free, there is some bubbling on the RF wheel arch that would be hidden with some SPG flares or easily fixed, nothing structural. Passenger control arm tunnel was repaired by a local guy who has done a ton of 900 repairs. Drivers tunnel has a slight crack but someone with a welder could easily patch it up. Floor and jack points are very solid. There is some rust on the rear wheel wheel (pictures in the thread) that will definitely need attention. Again, if you know what you're doing this would probably be a pretty easy fix but I can definitely get better pictures if anyone is seriously interested.
-Swapped to 88+ brake system and replaced with all new brake lines, rotors, disks, and pads this past summer. Also replaced the master cylinder at the same time.
-New ball joints
-Uninstalled but included MSS header if you wanted to keep the 8v
-Paint is in very good shape, shines up well
-Added an SPG kit that I resprayed, isn't concourse but looks much better than faded OEM color. I didn't add the one in front of the right rear wheel because I was going to wait until the rust had been repaired.
-New Bilstein HD's all around.

The Bad
-'85 so potentially bad wiring harness. Also means it has the crappy 8v engine. I never had any issues with either but just saying.
-Barely been driven in the past 4 or 5 years. If I started driving this as a daily driver I'd take it to a shop and have them look over it to make sure everything is ok. I'd imagine CIS will need some playing around with but knock on wood it always starts up with a fresh battery.
-Bad tie rod ends, I went to replace them but they are completely stuck on. Again, if I were to drive this I'd pay a shop to replace them to be safe.
-No e brake, have the parts but never got around to installing it when I swapped to 88+ axles
-Headliner shell is broken, I was literally in the midst of replacing the material when the shell slipped off the table and the fiberglass broke around the sunroof cutout. I already fiberglassed it before it broke but I'm sure some more reinforcement would fix it right up.
-Depending on your viewpoint it has some ugly WRX seats up front, they're supportive but kind of a pain, I could provide a full grey leather interior if anyone is interested.
-Should probably be towed out of here, like I said I've barely driven it 100 miles in the past 5 years so I certainly wouldn't suggest driving it across the country before it got a good check up.

So like I said I wanted to see if anyone was interested in this before I fix the remaining things and try to sell it for more money so a tiered pricing model may work best. If I fixed everything with all the new parts I figured $1500 wouldn't be too unreasonable. As it stands its probably a sub $1000 car but its still a rare 900 with a fair amount of new parts. The car also has SPG wheels and Lesjofor springs on it currently, if I could get those back from the buyer I'd knock a decent chunk of money off the price. Like I said I just sort of want to move on from this car and get something else so if anyone has any interest let me know and we can figure out a price that would work well. Or maybe a straight swap for a 99/900 Vert :thumbsup:

hutch

Re: FS/Feeler: 1985 900S Notchback

Postby hutch » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:21 pm

Oh and I forgot to say, I have a spare b202 turbo block (though its been sitting exposed in the garage), a 2.1 head and manifold, and a T5 harness if you wanted to go that route. As I said we could probably work out a deal on the car plus or minus some extra parts depending on what all you may want.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:09 am

looks a lot like my 86 900-T. its gunna make a re-appearance this summer... I love that car.
Before.

After... 7 years ago...
ImageImage

Current is coming...
Less brake more gas!

hutch

Postby hutch » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:32 am

Yeah thats definitely a sharp looking car, and better pictures than mine!

It probably wants a slightly older twin too :P

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:21 am

Naah, I got too many already.
Less brake more gas!

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:04 pm

put it up for sale on Saabnet for $3000.
I am the 73%

hutch

Postby hutch » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:32 pm

Thats the plan in a few months and I'll fix the few issues. I guess its just a case of losing interest in the car and it being too freaking cold out right now to want to do anything :lol:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:48 pm

hutch wrote:Thats the plan in a few months and I'll fix the few issues. I guess its just a case of losing interest in the car and it being too freaking cold out right now to want to do anything :lol:

forget about fixing the issues. just list it and sell it.
I am the 73%

hutch

Postby hutch » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:51 pm

Alright one last bump before it sits again for a while. I realize this thread is lacking on pictures of my car, I can take some more if anyone is interested. $750 as it sits or $500 if I can get the wheels and springs back. If you want any of the extras, leather interior, turbo engine, etc. I'm sure can figure something out. Lets make a deal!

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:01 pm

I'd give you $50 for the busted hedliner shell. I have been looking for one for a notch for years now....
Less brake more gas!

hutch

Postby hutch » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:04 pm

Ha sorry but if I have any hope of selling it for any real money, as unlikely as it may be, I think it would need a headliner and it seems like they are really hard to find.

I thought I threw the one for the 86 that is now Gary's in when you guys picked it up a few years ago. Was it just too beat up or am I making up memories? It definitely had a headliner as I remember finding the mouse nests when I pulled it out. I can check next time I'm over at my parents house, if its stashed away somewhere you're welcome to it, I can't imagine I would have thrown it out.

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:19 pm

I don't think I ever got that, but if you have it... I want it. Is it bad that I am actually now considering buying the whole thing now for the headliner shell? ;) No no. Likely if I did that I'd be found dead later this week, or at least I'd be reported "missing" 3 weeks later.
Less brake more gas!

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:22 am

I currently have 2 85's and 1 86 notchback. The rally car has no headliner (of course) the 85 came with one that broke into many pieces, and the 86 has a good one that needs to be reupholstered. I am pretty sure that the headliner from a hatchback will work. The roof on the hatch, notch, and 4 door is the same panel. The hatch is slightly different to accommodate the hinges for the hatch and I think the 4 door has a slight difference for the doors...but I bet you could put one in place and it would look ok...better than riding around with bare sheet metal overhead.

A notch is basically the same as a hatchback all the way to the back where the hatch mounts. The C pillar is wider on the hatch....so a hatch may be a better/closer fit.
I am the 73%

hutch

Postby hutch » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:02 pm

DeLorean wrote:I don't think I ever got that, but if you have it... I want it. Is it bad that I am actually now considering buying the whole thing now for the headliner shell? ;) No no. Likely if I did that I'd be found dead later this week, or at least I'd be reported "missing" 3 weeks later.
Hmm I could have sworn I put it in there, I guess you would certainly know if you have it or not though. Or maybe it made its way with the car to Gary? I'll look for it and let you know. If you still have a fleet of 99's and want to downsize let me know, you could certainly make room for this car :thumbsup:
Crazyswede wrote:I currently have 2 85's and 1 86 notchback. The rally car has no headliner (of course) the 85 came with one that broke into many pieces, and the 86 has a good one that needs to be reupholstered. I am pretty sure that the headliner from a hatchback will work. The roof on the hatch, notch, and 4 door is the same panel. The hatch is slightly different to accommodate the hinges for the hatch and I think the 4 door has a slight difference for the doors...but I bet you could put one in place and it would look ok...better than riding around with bare sheet metal overhead.

A notch is basically the same as a hatchback all the way to the back where the hatch mounts. The C pillar is wider on the hatch....so a hatch may be a better/closer fit.
Yeah I've never put them side by side but I'll bet if finding a replacement is that dire it could probably be done with some slight modifying here and there. Who knows, I hate fiberglass work :dunno:

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:46 pm

I used to hear about people with 2dr 99s going to the dealer and ordering headliners for a 2dr C900. Apparently they swap in well enough.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Return to “FOR SALE / WANTED”