Wanted: C900 Doner car

Post for sale/wanted items here
86spig
Nickname: Fish
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Wanted: C900 Doner car

Postby 86spig » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:03 pm

Hey guy's, just putting a feeler out to see if anyone has or knows of a mechanically challenged, rust-free 900 3 door. Wait, did I say rust free? Ok, how about "structurally" sound and water tight. If a front fender is banged up, no big deal. Or the typical side of hood rust through, not an issue And being in the Northeast i guess control arms are almost expected to be an issue, since a lot of these cars have 20+ years of crud packed in under the drive axle... I just don't feel like getting into rebuilding major structural components, or floors. stuff like that.

My preference is for a turbo, 1988- and up and 1990-93 is ideal. Non-turbo's are fine (just will take a little extra work) and for those I would like to stay with the 2.1's, so 1991-up. Manual, auto... doesn't matter. Sunroof is preferred but I'm flexible. Color not such an issue, I'm more interested in the over-all condition of paint and straightness of body. As for the interior... I would love something that is pristine and has a crack free dash... BUT I'd like to think I'm a realist and I have plenty of replacement interior parts, so condition isn't really an issue.

What happened is a few months back I picked up a garage kept (for the last 15 years) 91 SPG that is gorgeous up top and rotten below the belt line. Having know the previous owner for 20+ years I was very familiar with the car and it's issues. The price was right and I was looking at this as a parts car. His plan had been to keep the car forever, something he was serious about as evidenced by the service history (I stopped adding at 15K). Hell, even the headlight squirt'ers work. The problem is this car spent the first 9 years of it's life in central Ohio.

The plan (as you can imagine) is to transplant the 91 into.... (insert doner car specifications here) and replace my 90 SPG... actually some of you might remember that one, it was from Dallas Pa and on Craigslist a few years bad... the one that had a Subaru hood scoop grafted into the hood.

Anyway, I'm in Philadelphia PA and Ideally I'd like to try and stay with-in a 4 hour radius, but for the right car...

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for your time,
Alex

Oh, right... I just realized that this is my first post on Saabrally. So with that... Hi, My name is Alex. I'm an Aries, I like puppies and long walks and I love Saab's. Sorry guys, I've been meaning to introduce myself, I just keep getting sidetracked. Anyway I've been checking out Saab Rally for years, of all of the options out there this is by far my favorite. Great people that are happy to share insight, and don't judge. Great humor and none of the bullS, Interesting variety of projects, great answers to questions, and cool personality's... Although I have to say, I miss Raul.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: Wanted: C900 Doner car

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:49 pm

We all miss Raul.
I am the 73%

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:53 pm

Hi Alex! I'm Drew, and a Scorpio. And I do not miss Raul.

I know we all want donor cars to be inexpensive, but if you want to pay shipping I can keep an eye out for a rust free one out here for you depending on what your timeline is.

Welcome!
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:42 pm

It seems that there are fewer Saabs for sale recently either because of winter weather or the brand's death. I wouldn't say Saabs are becoming all too collectable, unless they are the rare models, but the whacky Saab owners seem to be hoarding them and the rest are going to a junkyard. I think the days of finding a sub $500 900 that is structurally sound are becoming few and far between. I assume you are checking craigslist ads for the surrounding area, if you keep an eye out I'm sure something will pop up once the weather warms up a little bit. Or if you're willing to travel a bit check out ads from the Carolina's and VA, much more likely to find a clean example. If I see anything I'll try to remember to post it here. And I remember that SPG with the scoop, I almost went to look at it once...

I sort of miss Raul and his crazy ways

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:55 pm

Drew missed Raul....he just doesn't know how to express the complicated memories from the time with Raul.
I am the 73%

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:19 pm

86spig
Nickname: Fish
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby 86spig » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:11 pm

Thanks guy's. Yeah, I'm checking the usual resources and just figured it was worth putting it out there. I miss those days where c900's were a dime a doz.... more readily available. I just need to wait it out and something will eventually break.

And Drew, I really appreciate it. I've considered that option but for this round need to stick to the East Coast (a lot of irons in the fire).

I was down at my friends shop over the weekend and he has a really cherry...not at all what I'm looking for... 1986 900s. It's tempting but I'm really hoping to stay away from axle swap's and all that stuff. He thinks he might have some other options in his warehouse but we ran out of time and couldn't get over there.

Anyway Thanks again guys

Raul
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby Raul » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:48 am

Crazyswede wrote:We all miss Raul.

yeah, I left for a while and this forum died right away.

Jon1
Number of Saabs currently owned: 30

Postby Jon1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Would you be interested in an empty shell, with the rusty floor cut out, that includes a sandblasted floor from another car, that needs to be welded in? FREE in upstate NY. It was an 85 SPG, no title. Hey, it has only been three years since you posted this, but I didn't see where you posted you weren't looking anymore........
Jon
jon1
with many classic 900 turbos

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:05 pm

It's my birthday and my one wish came true. Raul is back!

Seriously...how are you Raul? Whether you realize it or not you have attained Saab internet legend status. :yay:
Last edited by Crazyswede on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the 73%

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:21 pm

Hahahaha, happy belated!

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Happy Birthday! Hope you had a good one!

Good to see a few folks coming back to the board, even this Raul fellow that I don't know.

Jon1
Number of Saabs currently owned: 30

Postby Jon1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Jon

jon1

with many classic 900 turbos

Return to “FOR SALE / WANTED”