Adjustable Cam gears

Post for sale/wanted items here
Luke
Site Admin

Adjustable Cam gears

Postby Luke » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:55 pm

Hi All, In need of a set of adjustable cam gears for the B202, long story but the cams I have are whacky and I can't get the timing right without these.
I think I have access to a loaner set for now to get the car running, but will need another set eventually.

I will be at the eeuro meet this weekend.

Anybody got a set that they decided they won't need?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: Adjustable Cam gears

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:47 pm

Jks16 adjustable cam gear B202 / 212 / 16V 85-93 1295: - pc

www.kyrkmotorsport.se

you probably know about these but its an option. Maybe Frederic can aid in aquisition.
I am the 73%

Tsmall
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby Tsmall » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:10 pm

I would be interested in a set too, if there are more than one set floating around..
-Tom

Jon1
Number of Saabs currently owned: 30

Re: Adjustable Cam gears (Sprockets)

Postby Jon1 » Mon May 02, 2016 1:57 pm

I have read, more than once, that Nick Taliaferro has used stock cam sprockets (chains run on sprockets, gears run against gears) and removed the key that positions it to the cam and adjusted, as needed. Supposedly, torquing the bolt holds the sprocket sufficiently. A quick message to Nick should confirm or deny. A new key could be installed, although not easily, after getting the cam timing correct. (Disclaimer: I read it on the internet, so it must be true)
Jon
jon1
with many classic 900 turbos

Tsmall

Re: Adjustable Cam gears (Sprockets)

Postby Tsmall » Mon May 02, 2016 2:39 pm

Jon1 wrote:I have read, more than once, that Nick Taliaferro has used stock cam sprockets (chains run on sprockets, gears run against gears) and removed the key that positions it to the cam and adjusted, as needed. Supposedly, torquing the bolt holds the sprocket sufficiently. A quick message to Nick should confirm or deny. A new key could be installed, although not easily, after getting the cam timing correct. (Disclaimer: I read it on the internet, so it must be true)

It's funny you mention this... In my hunt for a set of adjustable gears, a mentor of mine said the same thing. If you look at the 9-3 sport sedans, or any of the volvo 5 cylinder cars they do not have any key-way for the cam gears. It makes me really nervous to run them without the key for fear of the gear slipping.. but there are so many examples of other cars which are fine without them...

I think due to my inability to find a set I might try to run a key-less gear. Just loctite the crap out of it and it should be okay. (I hope)
In my situation I think this will work as long as the gear stays put. I am just trying to compensate for timing retardation after removing head material. I would think a set of truly adjustable gears would be necessary for fine-tuning of timing though.
-Tom

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » Mon May 02, 2016 3:14 pm

I have a Trionic 5 head that I am putting on a B202, the head was about 1.1mm thinner than a stock head before removing another 0.011". I would like to try some adjustable SPROCKETS, but may try adjusting a set of stock ones first.
Last edited by Jon1 on Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jon

jon1

Tsmall

Postby Tsmall » Mon May 02, 2016 6:52 pm

Jon1 wrote:I have a Trionic 5 head that I am putting on a B202, the head was about 1mm thinner before removing another 0.011". I would like to try some adjustable SPROCKETS, but may try adjusting a set of stock ones first.

Haha took me a bit to pick up on that... Thanks for the clarification of nomenclature. I can be a bit stuck in my old ways. A gear is just what I have always referred to them as.
-Tom

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » Mon May 02, 2016 7:03 pm

"A gear is just what I have always referred to them as." You and everyone else seems to call them gears.
Jon

jon1

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue May 03, 2016 9:23 am

Ok heres one idea I had - we already have 38 teeth on the "Sprockets" (Hi Jon) which correspond to roughly 19 degrees at the crank - so we already have adjustability at that resolution. If I mill off the existing keyway and then drill a number of press-fit holes say 3-5 for dowel pins (the same diameter as the old key) which are at set intervals that are at a different pitch than the cam teeth, then by rotating the gear around and placing dowel pin in a different hole, we could get the adjustability down to a resolution of say 3.5 deg or so... maybe good enough for most of us? Not as easy a nice slotted sprocket, but also much cheaper :)

Edit - adjusted degrees above - didn't have enough coffee this morning.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Tue May 03, 2016 2:15 pm

If you are going to do machining here is another option like the V8 do it.

No slipping in a slot and you know what the degree is rather than guessing at scribed lines.
The bushings come in 0-5 degrees advance or retard depending on which way you install it. Except for the 0 :crazy:
image.png

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Tue May 03, 2016 4:35 pm

So... in cleaning out shop over the weekend I found 4 sets of partially finished adjustable C900 cam sprockets, and the hardware and stuff to go with them. The first mill operation is done, so they need to be turned, and I'd have to get and make the sprockets. If 2-3 people were committed I can find the time to finish these. Whatever the original sale price was would stand, I think it was $225 or $235 or something.

Luke's idea with the indexed clocking holes is a good one too!
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Tsmall

Postby Tsmall » Tue May 03, 2016 7:59 pm

Drew, I'd be in for a set if you can round up enough people.
-Tom

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » Fri May 06, 2016 3:44 pm

I am in for set, as long as Luke gets a set before me.
Jon

jon1

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon May 09, 2016 2:07 pm

Ok. I've had a few P/M's so I'll start getting parts together and keep you guys updated.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed May 11, 2016 1:25 pm

if we are talking adjustable cam gears I would be in for a set too
I am the 73%

Return to “FOR SALE / WANTED”