Wanted: T5 help

Post for sale/wanted items here
spgftw
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Wanted: T5 help

Postby spgftw » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:16 pm

Help! :)

I've got a project car that needs T5 installed. It was originally an 8 valve NA automatic (86). Now it's a 16 valve turbo 5 speed. The wiring conversion is significant, and beyond what I have the time to tackle in the near future- or in the past. By that, I mean the car has been mothballed for 2 years waiting for me to figure out wiring. By this point I've forgotten what I knew, and my bad back prevents me from leaning over long enough to get 'er done even if I could find the time.

I'm in beautiful Portland Oregon, definitely a city worth visiting. I'll pay actual cash money to get this done. If you are able and willing to give this a shot, lets talk.

Many thanks, fellow Saabers...

-Paul

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: Wanted: T5 help

Postby squaab99t » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:28 pm

What happened to Daniel? He was the local expert.

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:06 pm

He's pretty busy with life, and a couple of long-term Saab projects of his own. I helped him hoist his engine in a while back, I should see if he's back on the road. This needs a dedicated few days of effort from a pro, or at least someone aspiring to be a semipro.

hutch

Postby hutch » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:47 am

Man I wish I could lend a hand, I'd love to visit the PNW sometime and helping out on a c900 would just be icing on the cake...

What sort of wiring do you need? Just a T5 harness or something more in depth related to the 16v swap? The eeuro DIY T5 harness is pretty straight forward, I'd be happy to help you out with it but its definitely doable over a long weekend. Or to be honest the pre-assembled one is worth it for peace of mind and to get a project rolling.

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:56 am

Haha- hi Hutch. I think the turbo and downpipe on this car are from you, bought a few years back.
I have an eEuro harness in hand already, it just needs to be grafted into place. Really, it's not even a hard job, for someone who has a clue. :)

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:58 am

I've also got a pile of T5 ecu's, and connectors, and having somebody teach me to get connected to a laptop and flashing would be awesome. I'm just worn out on trying to teach myself everything alone in a garage at night. I have a mentally challenging day job already!

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:42 pm

Paul,
I'm just over in Boise and I have long weekends at thanksgiving and Christmas. It might be a good excuse to get out of town : )
W/ the DIY harness, it should graft in pretty quick. What crank trigger system are you using?

John

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:49 pm

I have an eeuro flywheel already installed. :)
Although maybe I should get the surface rust knocked off? Damn, this poor car has been sitting tooooooo long.

hutch

Postby hutch » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:59 pm

Oh nice! T3-60, right? I'll bet that will scream with T5...

If you have the DIY harness I tried to document some aspects in a thread here but I'd be happy to PM you some specific help if you'd like. If it's an assembled one my only suggestion would be show no mercy and just cut out everything LH related as it won't be going back in... That and definitely remove the knee pad and dash to get extra room to manuever. Installing it is very simple, only a dozen or so connectors to attach.

I lent John my combi adapter so if he helps you I'd be happy to send it back out so you guys can get it up and running quickly...

All that being said I totally understand about getting overwhelmed with projects and needing some help to get back on track. T5 isn't really that complicated but it definitely helps to have someone who has done it before, but also don't be afraid to ask us questions here.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:31 pm

Hutch,
I also have 2 LAWICEL adapters (1 was yours) and seem to have no problems reflashing T5.5.
You are right about the LH, just gut it all and start from scratch, maybe just leaving the relays. This winter I may T5.5 my 85 SPG w/ the eEuro flywheel.

John

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:18 pm

Rip out the LH? Ha, this is/was a CIS car! Base model 8 valve.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:02 pm

Even better! That's how my 99 started out!

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:03 pm

What do you have for air intake temp sensor provisions? You can mail me your intercooler pipe prior to the TB and I can weld on a bung.

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:52 pm

That would be awesome Dennis!
It's one of the remaining hurdles.

Trickier is my seat install as I have a set of Viggen seats to mount. That's what I would love some advice on. I cut a complete set of seat mounting rails out of a late model 900 when I was going to install Aero seats. This Viggen pattern is different though. Obviously a safety issue to get it correct.

Getting a little ahead of myself as that can come after it's up and running but having a rough idea of what to plan for might help along the way.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:56 pm

spgftw wrote:That would be awesome Dennis!
It's one of the remaining hurdles.

Trickier is my seat install as I have a set of Viggen seats to mount. That's what I would love some advice on. I cut a complete set of seat mounting rails out of a late model 900 when I was going to install Aero seats. This Viggen pattern is different though. Obviously a safety issue to get it correct.

Getting a little ahead of myself as that can come after it's up and running but having a rough idea of what to plan for might help along the way.

Just let me know, on the bung and seats. I've done 3 seats of seat, but they were all Recaro seat bases.
c900
P1100373 (Large).JPG

P1100374 (Large).JPG

P1060534 (Custom).JPG

P1060533 (Custom).JPG

Return to “FOR SALE / WANTED”