1990 900T Vert with T5 Swap and SPG Package - $3250

Post for sale/wanted items here
hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

1990 900T Vert with T5 Swap and SPG Package - $3250

Postby hutch » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:51 pm

I can't imagine this is the sort of car for the racers on this board but I'm posting this to some other Saab sites so figured I may as well include it here. Would be happy to make a deal for a SaabRally member!

Description: Up for sale is my '90 900 Turbo convertible, I bought this a few years ago and has been a ton of fun but I have 2 other Saabs and this just doesn't get the attention it deserves so its time to pass it on.

The Good
The car spent most of its life in the south and the underside is extremely clean, I've owned 5+ c900s so I know how important it is to find a clean chassis on these. The single stage cherry red paint shines up really well, I gave it a good thorough polish when I first got it and now just wax every few months as it doesn't really fade at all in the garage.

The previous owner replaced the top and it is still in great shape, he was saying it was not as tight as he'd have liked it but its never bothered me, and if I'm being honest this car spends 99% of its time with the top down in the garage (don't worry, I do put it up/down to keep the hydraulics working).

This has been my fun weekend project car so one of the first things I did was swap over to Trionic 5 as I feel this is one of the best mods you can do to a c900. The harness is from eeuro and the CPS system is from Squaab99T and uses the OEM trigger wheel.

I have also just recently replaced the exhaust system with a 2.5" turboback exhaust (2 mufflers) from Skandix, it has a great throaty sound to it but is not as loud as my Abbott Racing system on my SPG so its not obnoxious at all.

The previous owner also a set of SPG springs and Bilstein HD's all around as well as swapped on a nice set of SPG wheels.

I installed the SPG kit from my old SPG, I have the rear panels as well but they need to be modified to fit a convertible, I was on the lookout for an OEM set I didn't have to modify my set but never found them.

The Bad
The SRS light was on from the previous owner replacing the bushing in the steering column, the bulb is currently pulled in the dash, but it should just need a reset.

The ABS light is on, the brakes still work just fine, its the steady light that indicates a speed sensor issue. Since this is a strictly good-weather only car for me I never fixed it.

There is a power steering leak like many c900s, it seems like it is mostly just at start up, I top it up at the beginning of the summer and then maybe once or twice a season.

It may need new brake pads or disks down the road as they are rather squeaky when at speed.

After the car has been driven for a while the 1st and 3rd gear synchros feel worn, totally fine around town, I actually didn't even notice it for the first few months of owning the car. I wouldn't be shocked if a fluid flush would cure it but again have just never been too urgent for the sort of driving this car sees, but just wanted to be up front.

The Ugly
The interior is rather sun-bleached from spending its life under UV rays, I had refinished a previous 900's interior and was going to re-dye the vinyl on this one but never got around to it.

There are a few dents on the doors, most of which should get out with a PDR guy, and one on the rear 1/4 panel which may be tricker. They're not awful and never bugged me as this was just a fun car.

Bottom Line
I hope this has been descriptive enough, I don't want to make the car sound like it needs too much as its been an incredibly fun car the entire time I've owned it and none of the nagging stuff has ever been a big issue, just want to be up front about it. A c900 convertible is a really fun car but it has just become a chore to keep 3 Saabs in running condition and would like the garage space back.

I'm asking $3250 which seems to be in line with c900 values these days given that this car needs some things addressed to be a perfect runner. If the car sells for the full asking price I will include a set of Shelby 4x108 wheels that I never got around to putting on the car.

I'm also trying to clear out some of my hoarded pile of Saab stuff so can include a 5 speed out of a '92 900 n/a that was apparently rebuilt then immediately parked as the headgasket went. Along those lines I'd be happy to include a used power steering rack from my old SPG, a real Viggen exhaust tip I was going to have welded on, and probably some other misc. 900 stuff I have racked up and am looking to get rid of.

Feel free to ask me any questions or ask for more pictures etc...

Pictures (embedded pics or links to external albums are mandatory):
Heres one from a few weeks ago, I apparently need to split up the ones from today into different posts to fit

Exterior

Interior

Engine

Door Dings

Extra Parts

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: 1990 900T Vert with T5 Swap and SPG Package - $3250

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:31 am

FYI those are Ronal 8 spokes not Shelby....very similar appearance but much softer and the later bolt pattern.

$3250 sounds like a very low price for this car though its nice of you to offer it to the forum at that rate. You might try draining the transmission fluid, putting 2 quarts of cheap oil and a quart of kerosene in and driving it around the block, draining it all out and filling it with new fluid like redline MTL. If your synchro problem goes away then you can both brag about having just serviced the transmission oil and also not have to indicate the transmission is wearing ;)

Bringatrailer has a bunch of red turbo and non turbo convertible past auctions and they range in sale prices from $3000 to $23000. There was one that sold at $3000 and listed as a project. I bet yours would sell in the $5k-$8k range.
I am the 73%

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:11 pm

Ah yes I was actually telling someone about the wheels and midway through realized I should have called them Ronals but am so used to calling them Shelby's..

And I hear you on the transmission, I have driven 900s with infinitely more worn gearboxes, I just didn't notice it until I had owned the car for a while so didn't want deceive anyone but I'm sure it scares people away (especially while offering a replacement 5 speed with the car).

I've thought long and hard about the BaT route, if the car doesn't sell, which at this rate seems entirely likely, I'll explore it in the spring. I think if I redid the interior, got the ABS light to go away, and did a trans flush like you said it would be a great candidate for that site. But they seem to go for cherry examples of cars, and the issues the car has, and lack of care about the T5 swap, may scare away the boomers that are yearning to relieve the 80s.

I've also said I was going to fix the minor issues for ohhh about 2 years now but here we are :lol:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:03 am

see if you can find a clean drivers seat, do a bunch of the easy stuff like brake pads and trans fluid. make sure its clean and then put it on BAT. I predict it will sell for at least $5k.
I am the 73%

Return to “FOR SALE / WANTED”