SAAB pinion dept gauge tool. 83 90 155

Post for sale/wanted items here
allessence
Nickname: allessence
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

SAAB pinion dept gauge tool. 83 90 155

Postby allessence » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:58 pm

Does anyone have an extra or know of anyone else who maybe willing to part with one.

I have gotten tired of greasing the crown for wear pattern, and have measured many a back lash. But, seems I've been having some different failures on rebuildable cores that a pinion gauge would make the work so much easier.

Also, thought about modifing an earlier 96 model one to fit later wider 99/900 gear boxes but can't find a machinist who will touch it.

The critical measurements are the contact faces at the diff bearing housings and then 15mm from there to the face of the gage. Seems simple enough to me. To end caps some screws to hold the end caps and centerless ground to have the 15mm clearance.

Thanks Jennifer
Okay, so I'm female and like SAAB's go figure. Mind you, I like a good set of strappy sandal's just about as much though they don't take you thru the corners as fast. LOL

Rosie: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... =Jennifers

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Tranny jig

Postby 99Super » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:23 pm

Jennifer;
I have one you can use if you want to duplicate it, or need it to build a batch o' trannies, but it's not for sale unfortunately...

john

allessence

Postby allessence » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:46 pm

Thanks for the offer.

for matters of simplicity I just asked my Machinist if he could modify a 96 pinion depth tool and he said yeah for the money it wouldn't be worth it, and you'd be better off to make a new one or find an old one.

So, 99Super, thanks again for the offer. If you or anyone you know runs accross one, please let me know.

I'd pay a decent price for a good used one.

Thanks again. Wishing more people would come up with some sort of help. There must be someone out there that isn't going to use one of these again.
Okay, so I'm female and like SAAB's go figure. Mind you, I like a good set of strappy sandal's just about as much though they don't take you thru the corners as fast. LOL

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:23 am

I tried to get all the old tranny rebuild tools off my old boss when he retired but he wanted to hang on to them, "just in case". :-(

I think about building one once in a while. But I haven't had the need for one...
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

allessence

Postby allessence » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:44 am

If the trans pinion bearings are in decent shape and the box hasn't been over heated to badly usually the pinion depth tool isn't needed.

But, I have been working on some really messed up boxes and then again I have had to switch pinion and crown gears between boxes. This is really time consuming using the grease method. (put the grease on the pinion and crown gear and see the contact pattern then adjust depth/backlash). A real time eater upper.

Last one I did took 2.5hrs to get setup. With the pinion tool it's about half that starting with new shims.

I have 3 rebuilds to do in the next month one from a 92 convertable and one from an 89 900T. As well as one of my extra back up boxes.

Would really love to find a tool by then. Looks like I'll be greasing it though.

SO, PLEASE EVERYONE KEEP AN EYE OPEN FOR A PINION TOOL. Thanks

Raul
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Re: SAAB pinion dept gauge tool. 83 90 155

Postby Raul » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:41 pm

allessence wrote:Does anyone have an extra or know of anyone else who maybe willing to part with one.

I have gotten tired of greasing the crown for wear pattern, and have measured many a back lash. But, seems I've been having some different failures on rebuildable cores that a pinion gauge would make the work so much easier.

Also, thought about modifing an earlier 96 model one to fit later wider 99/900 gear boxes but can't find a machinist who will touch it.

The critical measurements are the contact faces at the diff bearing housings and then 15mm from there to the face of the gage. Seems simple enough to me. To end caps some screws to hold the end caps and centerless ground to have the 15mm clearance.

Thanks Jennifer

Thanks what I need too. Every transmission that I rebuild is noisy do to the fact that I don't have those tools and have to use home made tools that are not acurate. Plus I don't even have specifications page to match it to.

Allesence do you have that Saab factory MT rebuild manual? Would like to post few pages here?

allessence

Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:10 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I"m glad to hear you got it finished. Not so bad after all right? SAAB transmissions are pretty straight forwards and once you get one done it all kind of makes sense.

The later model c900's 91-94 used the same flywheel at the 9000 up to 96. I believe.

I am running an early style pressure plate, and a 6 puck friction disk.

I tryied 900 215mm, 228mm with brand new everything and my clutch wouldn't hold.

I finially called the guys at Swedish dynamics and they sent me a 215mm 6 puck that works great. I haven't felt it slip once.

I'v finished my car and I can tell you is so much better than stock. Very quick. One problem, the first gear is noisy and thats the only gear that is noisy. I believe I did not get the shimming right(ghetto tools) and am afraid that the tranny will blow up on me after I start boosting mad pressures. I got no other option but to boost it up and see how long it will last. But meanwhile I would like to build another powerplant so when that happenes I can just swap it in one day. My SPG is sooooo much fun now, I should take some videos.

allessence

Postby allessence » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:41 am

Hi Raul,

The measurements I posted on the transmission page are really the only measuments needed.

The pinion has been explained as well. I have a MT manual but don't have a method of scanning it. On the recent LSD posting there is a PDF file on how to rebuild SAAB trannies. This would problably be the best bet.

If first gear is whinning, was it a matched set (worn in box) or a pull from a different box?

Raul

Postby Raul » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:29 pm

allessence wrote:Hi Raul,

The measurements I posted on the transmission page are really the only measuments needed.

The pinion has been explained as well. I have a MT manual but don't have a method of scanning it. On the recent LSD posting there is a PDF file on how to rebuild SAAB trannies. This would problably be the best bet.

If first gear is whinning, was it a matched set (worn in box) or a pull from a different box?

I had to make one good transmission out of two blown transmissions because I can't be pulling tranny by my self at junkyard so I had to make good tranny out of crap. It is posible that something is not matching. I will drive the car until it blows up. In meanwhile I will be building even better powerplant with late T7 cylinder head, wohooo.

SaabsBreakDown
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:55 pm

Jennifer,

That same guy that machined your diff to recess the bolts can probably make you that pinion depth guage for cheap. It may be worth your time and money. He might even have some old dial indicator to throw in for ya. the diagram in the pdf manual just posted is pretty crappy.. I'm sure the special tools book would have more specific measurements. I wonder if anyone can post the dimensions up for you?

allessence

Postby allessence » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:17 pm

Well, spent a good portion of the day calling all the SAAB shops within 50mile radius.

No, luck. Some of the guys were very nice. Some said we haven't used that thing in like ten years I think it ended up in the trash.

2 gentlemen were nice enough to take my number and said they would look and get back to me.

I think at this point it's going to be a custom made thing. I'm pretty bumbed. Oh, well.

Please keep a look out. Thanks

Raul

Postby Raul » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:49 pm

allessence wrote:Well, spent a good portion of the day calling all the SAAB shops within 50mile radius.

No, luck. Some of the guys were very nice. Some said we haven't used that thing in like ten years I think it ended up in the trash.

2 gentlemen were nice enough to take my number and said they would look and get back to me.

I think at this point it's going to be a custom made thing. I'm pretty bumbed. Oh, well.

Please keep a look out. Thanks

So dieler cannot get it eather?

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:17 pm

Raul wrote:

huh?

Paul

Raul

Postby Raul » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:26 pm

paulh wrote:
Raul wrote:

huh?

Paul

Am not asking you! And you need to stop spamming with worthless posts.

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief

Postby matt » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:10 pm

Raul wrote:
paulh wrote:
Raul wrote:

huh?

Paul

Am not asking you! And you need to stop spamming with worthless posts.
everyone play nice.
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

allessence

Postby allessence » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:24 pm

The dealer hasn't been able to get one of these for about 6 years now.

IN the USA they have a 10 life span policy on keeping parts, etc in stock for vehicles. Now with the way things are your lucky to have a 9year policy.

Return to “FOR SALE / WANTED”