Real Sport and Rally Fender Flares

Post for sale/wanted items here
squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: Real Sport and Rally Fender Flares

Postby squaab99t » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:35 am

Dude, B-motor, N/A I'm very impressed that you are keeping up with the Subbies and Mistu. We need bigger pictures. You must be hinding something in those shots.
Bitchin flares by the way...

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:59 pm

squaab99t wrote:Dude, B-motor, N/A I'm very impressed that you are keeping up with the Subbies and Mistu. We need bigger pictures. You must be hinding something in those shots.

99s eat Evos and WRXes for lunch! :hungry:

Check out my last rallyX results: http://www.ner.org/sites/ner.org/files/NER_2009_2_0.pdf

Modified 2WD, Modified AWD, and Prepared AWD were in the same run group so all of our runs were on identical courses (well, as identical as they can be in rallyX). What car set FTD in the morning (first two runs)? SAAB 99. I got a little cocky and pushed a too much in the afternoon and wasted some time out in the slippery stuff.

The car deserves to get the flares put on now!
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:53 pm

Geoff wrote:
squaab99t wrote:Dude, B-motor, N/A I'm very impressed that you are keeping up with the Subbies and Mistu. We need bigger pictures. You must be hinding something in those shots.

99s eat Evos and WRXes for lunch! :hungry:

Check out my last rallyX results: http://www.ner.org/sites/ner.org/files/NER_2009_2_0.pdf

Modified 2WD, Modified AWD, and Prepared AWD were in the same run group so all of our runs were on identical courses (well, as identical as they can be in rallyX). What car set FTD in the morning (first two runs)? SAAB 99. I got a little cocky and pushed a too much in the afternoon and wasted some time out in the slippery stuff.

The car deserves to get the flares put on now!

Back when Geoff and I did the last Maine winter club rally we had to stop for a car that had rolled on its side. When we determined they were ok and were getting buckled back in we were passed by an Audi 4000 Quattro. We got back underway, caught up to, and passed the 4000 quattro in the yellow car pictured above. Keep in mind we had no studs...i think we had the non phantom grip diff at that time, and I think we were running the 165 rally snow tires.
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:24 am

Crazyswede wrote: Keep in mind we had no studs...

hehe!
Yup, worn out B motor, 5spd with open diff, 155 series rally snow tires which were good for snow but not so much for ice. The rally was over 50% ice...
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

saab84
Nickname: Big Mike
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby saab84 » Sat May 08, 2010 11:21 pm

Here are my flares it took a lot of work but I'm looking for some thing easier and these flares look like they we work. BTW mine is the white one.

So I will need some more info these flares.

Thanks Mike

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Sun May 09, 2010 6:14 pm

Here are my flares it took a lot of work but I'm looking for some thing easier and these flares look like they we work. BTW mine is the white one.

So I will need some more info these flares.

Thanks Mike

This thread gives you the info on how they were made and what from. They too are a lot of work to make, but you pay someone else to do the work :P
They are splashes from original Saab Sport and Rally fender flares made for the 99 dr 2. (trunk). I Have not tried to attach them to a 900. Only a quick fit up with the molding still attached to the body. They are flexible, but you might have to add a some to the front lower corner. I could leave that part untrimmed? That might help?

The price is 350 usd for a set with shipping within the USA 48. I've sold and shipped 7 sets to various people through out the world and everyone has been pleased.

Great looking car BTW.

saab84

Postby saab84 » Sun May 09, 2010 9:42 pm

The front ones look like they will work do you have any pic of the rear ones on a car.

How much of the tire will your flares cover, I need to cover almost 3in of tire.

I run a 23x9.50x15 slick on a 7in wheel so they stick out a little. :-O

Thanks Mike

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon May 10, 2010 7:08 am

Here is a good pic to get and idea of how wide they are.

Those are *wide* 205s on a 7" wheel

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Mon May 10, 2010 8:18 am

saab84 wrote:The front ones look like they will work do you have any pic of the rear ones on a car.

How much of the tire will your flares cover, I need to cover almost 3in of tire.

I run a 23x9.50x15 slick on a 7in wheel so they stick out a little. :-O

Thanks Mike

I'll take some measurements and pictures tonight. 3" from the existing fender lip front and rear?
That is a lot. Not sure if these fit the bill? Especially the rear....

I don't think these will get you there. Only 1.5 inches from the existing lip.

Rears

saab84

Postby saab84 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:15 pm

Here is the car before the flares

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Thu May 13, 2010 10:48 pm

what size rim tire setup is that? what is the offset. Looks very similar to what I would xpect my 86 Notchback project to look like without flares. The flares Im building should cover that.

Question is what about thse widebody fenders in the other pics? Can you just use them? Those are absolutely sick. I have always wanted to do something similar to that.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri May 14, 2010 6:36 am

I'd go for the Saab Enduro look

P.S. I wonder how that offset screws with your suspension geometry.

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Fri May 14, 2010 8:34 pm

I dig the Enduro flares! I'd even take them over my SPG (maybe).

Those wheels look like 15x7 or 15x8 w/ 0 offset. I run a set like that I got off an old Z-car. I use them on hillclimbs when I'm not worried about hitting cones...

john

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Fri May 14, 2010 10:00 pm

I think the enduros were cool, but the angular flares compete with the lines of the car. The ones like on the white race car follow the shape better. The rally flares look the part on a rally car, and the airflow flares seem the most natural for on a road race type car. Its all a matter of opinion. The designers spent many hours drawing sketch after sketch of the car to get it all to flow, and some knucklehead sticks a set of Bushwacker flares off an old Bronco on it, and thinks its cool. I have seen so many occasions where the wrong body kits make a car look like a shitbox. I guess one could justify the mismatch by saying its just a race car, but the visual impact of a well designed race car is as important to me as how it performs.

I got into the t shirt biz because I drew cars in my textbooks as a kid, and believe me when I tell you I have explored many fat fendered SAAB concepts in pen and ink. In my opinion there is a narrow range of what works on these cars. At least if your trying to preserve the original designers efforts.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Sat May 15, 2010 10:07 am

SwedeSport wrote:I think the enduros were cool, but the angular flares compete with the lines of the car. The ones like on the white race car follow the shape better. The rally flares look the part on a rally car, and the airflow flares seem the most natural for on a road race type car. Its all a matter of opinion. The designers spent many hours drawing sketch after sketch of the car to get it all to flow, and some knucklehead sticks a set of Bushwacker flares off an old Bronco on it, and thinks its cool. I have seen so many occasions where the wrong body kits make a car look like a shitbox. I guess one could justify the mismatch by saying its just a race car, but the visual impact of a well designed race car is as important to me as how it performs.

I got into the t shirt biz because I drew cars in my textbooks as a kid, and believe me when I tell you I have explored many fat fendered SAAB concepts in pen and ink. In my opinion there is a narrow range of what works on these cars. At least if your trying to preserve the original designers efforts.

Very put. There is a whole lot of effort in getting the form and function "right". It is also very time and trend dependent. Something that was sweet in the 70s, looks ass today, but may very well be hot in 20 years. :dunno:
Swedesport; Any spy shots of your design, tool fab? I'm thinking about the Airflow 99 airdam but my bag of tricks is lacking deep draw and reverse draft angles. Always willing to learn from others.

Return to “FOR SALE / WANTED”