Re-introduction

We'd like to know about you! Make your introduction into the SAABRally.com community here.
hudson
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Re-introduction

Postby hudson » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:05 pm

Just figured I'd reintroduce myself as the site now seems more stable :)

I'm 28, live in Southern Ontario.. love old cars, specifically those that aren't huge. I also have a penchant for breaking things. Surprisingly, I also like rally racing. :)

Unfortunately, I'm completely house broke and house worn out for the next while. In case any of you are out looking for a place to live.. don't buy a ~70 year old house, underpin the basement and do whole sale renovations of floors if you expect to have some time/money for other things :)

I know old Volvos. I love that they are reasonable in size, rwd, simple, not too hard to find.. hate the steering and image :)

A quick run down of car brands that I lust for (general cut off year is 1980 or earlier :)

Saab, Volvo, Lancia, Isuzu, Nissan/Datsun/Prince, Nsu, European Fords, Skoda, Mitsubishi, yadda yadda.

Some pics that make me go hell ya:
Attachments
ail-20.jpg
1.jpg
Hyt1I.JPG

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Re: Re-introduction

Postby DeLorean » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:47 pm

haha, my house is 171 years old, so I know a thing or 2 about the old house maintenance. More time consuming than you might think... Over the past 2 centuries there have been so many changes, add ons and fixes to deterioration that you never know what you might uncover. I not only found an extra exterior door that was closed up with brick-face and paneling, but I also found 3 abandoned roof pitches from original sections of the house in the attic. Not to mention the years and years of not to code "creative" / "the history of electric & plumbing" that can all be found in my basement.

Anyway, welcome to the saab rally forums!
Less brake more gas!

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:13 am

hudson wrote:.. don't buy a ~70 year old house, underpin the basement and do whole sale renovations of floors if you expect to have some time/money for other things :)

That's probably what I'll end up with, knowing the houses down here... :-(
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:46 am

hudson wrote:Unfortunately, I'm completely house broke and house worn out for the next while. In case any of you are out looking for a place to live.. don't buy a ~70 year old house, underpin the basement and do whole sale renovations of floors if you expect to have some time/money for other things :)

Whoa , its like me in bizzaro world....i.e. Canada.

hudson

Postby hudson » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:00 pm

DeLorean wrote:More time consuming than you might think...

Unfortunately, I know :)

Over the past 2 centuries there have been so many changes, add ons and fixes to deterioration that you never know what you might uncover. I not only found an extra exterior door that was closed up with brick-face and paneling, but I also found 3 abandoned roof pitches from original sections of the house in the attic. Not to mention the years and years of not to code "creative" / "the history of electric & plumbing" that can all be found in my basement.

I've learned to nuke everything as back to the structure/foundation as time/money/energy allows and then start again. Of course it's all in the great hope that when one thing is finished I won't have to return to it as soon. As I'm sure you know, that doesn't always turn out that way :)

My place isn't quite that bad, but definitely similar.

hudson

Postby hudson » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:01 pm

Jordan wrote:Whoa , its like me in bizzaro world....i.e. Canada.

You're underpinning a basement as well? That's one hell of a job. Don't wish it on my worst enemies!

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:15 pm

my house in Nanticoke (3 unit rental prop) I actually found an extra "hidden room" though the clue of the extra windows you could see outside but you could not find inside the house was a pretty good hint. Old houses are like of like old cars how you never know what the previous owners did.... except you can't drive them anywhere :( though they don't rust out :) They do kind of sink though :lol: There was one I had looked at in Edwardsville, PA that if you put a ball down at the front of the house it would have rolled right to the back if the place, and at a good rate too.
Less brake more gas!

hudson

Postby hudson » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:14 pm

DeLorean wrote:my house in Nanticoke (3 unit rental prop) I actually found an extra "hidden room" though the clue of the extra windows you could see outside but you could not find inside the house was a pretty good hint. Old houses are like of like old cars how you never know what the previous owners did.... except you can't drive them anywhere :( though they don't rust out :) They do kind of sink though :lol: There was one I had looked at in Edwardsville, PA that if you put a ball down at the front of the house it would have rolled right to the back if the place, and at a good rate too.

A WHOLE HIDDEN ROOM! Wow. That's stupid. Often when working on my house, I can't figure out who was to blame for some stupidity. Was it the contractor? Was it the owner? But some stuff is just beyond asinine here. Some emphasis on final look, no emphasis on anything else.

Yeah FOUNDATION FOUNDATION! I grew up in a Farm house and every year the sills would rot a little more and the house would shift. Not cool :)

Yeah I definitely understand the car analogy. You have to undo all the previous work.. and at least with a house you can hopefully get your money out :)

Cheers

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:18 pm

You know Jeff... sometimes they board up extra rooms when they catch an evil spirit in there. Maybe you just released a poltergeist! :-P

The house I grew up in (which my parents still live in) is 160 years old and they own three other houses that are between 100 and 150 years old. I learned from past experiences what to avoid when purchasing :-P But you guys have it easy when stripping wallpaper, that old stuff comes right off, not like the new plastic-coated stuff with ever-lasting glue!

Oh, my dad also has a PV544 with new Bilsteins and new IPD swaybars. Though he doesn't let me drive it like the red one above....
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Return to “Introductions”