Ha-rowww!

We'd like to know about you! Make your introduction into the SAABRally.com community here.
SeanKHotay
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Ha-rowww!

Postby SeanKHotay » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:24 pm

Long time-yet-sporadic lurker, long time SAAB loon(atic) and hoarder, long time rally fan, short time SAABRally board member (trying to correct that last bit)...

Sean Mullady here, recently exclusively and presently of the Deetroit area, now splitting time btwn there/here and Upstate NY (near Albany).

Some a'yous know me, maybe more might have heard of me (bad -&- maybe a smidgen good), like to get re-engaged to the SAAB rally community, hope to me you'all sometime.

Coupla rambling SAAB/rally cred facts about me:
- SAAB owner since '86 'cept for a few years of Merkur lunacy, big 99 fan. 16 SAABs in 23 years, almost half of them ran!
- one of the SOC07 Triumverate, presented initial proposal to the SCNA Board at SOC06 (where I hung out (albeit distracted) with a few of you just before my scheduled presentation time), was in charge of the hotel/meals (yes, you can blame me for the high meal costs) & driving events (gimmick rallymaster and got the WHRRI Track Day done & breakeven after Greg Moore pulled the logistics together, had to let the AutoX go due to lack of time, $, and interest...and the Detroit SCCA (DetSCCA) was putting one on already)
- SCCA RallyCross & Road Rally Steward
- With Paul Eddlestone and many others, started the Detroit RallyCross series. Me and Paul made the original presentation to the Detroit Board. Bob Martin picked it up after the first year and has taken it so much farther than most of us could have (what, two Nationals?). (recent development: MoHud SCCA RA wants to put on a RallyCross there)
- Crewed for Scott Harvey Jr (and doubled-crewed for Mike Bodnar when he showed up without a crew and a skidplate) for a few years of stage rally until entry costs got prohibitive. Sno*Drift and LSPOR are/were the main rallies I attend/-ed (crewed or marshalled); also was there for dumb navvy Jimmy's Cadillac Forest and Wreck-an-Evo's Magnum Opus. Know most of the MI rally folk...

Coupla SAAB/rally NON-cred facts about me:
- sitting on Karen Anne (look it/her up on Special Stage or in NINES) to the chagrin of many rally old farts. I've had her partial apart and together 3x, never fully finished, she now has a bent lower A-arm, needs a new cage and spaghetti electrics corrected. Can't do things half-fast...will correct that...
- Sporadic involvement in the rally scene due to (ex-)workload as a white collar (ex-)autoworker.
- Technically, now none of my SAABs run, KA, ITB racer, nor '78 Turbos. Aero was the latest casualty (bent valve). DD is now an F350 diesel 4x4 crew cab which luckily works as a moving moose, the present need.

Personally, an aero/mech engineer by trade and training, ex-autoworker as of Dec (a good thing, needed a change), looking for new opportunites, considering buying/starting a business -or- going back working for The Man -or- starting a consulting/entrepreneurial biz...not sure which direction to take.

Outside the SAAB and/or rally world, I love sportscar, endurance, and vintage racing, photography, good movies & music, good beer & the harder stuff (single malt scotch and tequila particularly), restoring cars and homes, and effective charity work.

And I will definitely post posts dripping of sarcasm. :-)

Oh, please don't ban me for not posting in two years of membership. :-D

What's it the hip kids say? "cHallah!"?

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Re: Ha-rowww!

Postby matt » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:48 pm

car pics or ban!
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

SeanKHotay

Postby SeanKHotay » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:20 am

Really? Well OK, whatever floats your boat...(guess there's some, uh, interests that I need to, um, accept on this board(?))

Y'know, I still don't have real good pics of her. That'll need to be corrected.

The best pics still are by Jim Blake at SOC03:
http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/members/gallery.html?memberID=141&do=show&id=2322
http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/members/gallery.html?memberID=141&do=show&id=2323

Paint job's the same...

Note the missing trunk lid. It was 'home alone' 700miles west sunning its matching new paintjob on a boat, showing my attention to detail after ~2 months of 18hr days (paying job + car prep'ing).

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:21 am

I like this guy, let's let him stay. :yay:
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:16 am

Hey Sean,
Great to see you here and great to hear you're moving to the east coast. You should prep karen anne for Black River stages... its my favorite event and it will be close for you...

Got a question for you:

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/members/photos/141/2320.jpg

I see you've got the double sidedaft weber/dellorto carb setup... you have an pictures of how the alternator is located?

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:30 pm

Shonkie Ho-ti

Ah mahn ho tep

So people move to........ Albany?

:dunno:
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:38 pm

Hey Sean! Thanks for showing up (and being a rascal!). Moving to Albany area?

Get that car going!
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SeanKHotay

Postby SeanKHotay » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:57 pm

Luke wrote:Hey Sean,
Great to see you here and great to hear you're moving to the east coast. You should prep karen anne for Black River stages... its my favorite event and it will be close for you...

Got a question for you:<snip>

I see you've got the double sidedaft weber/dellorto carb setup... you have an pictures of how the alternator is located?

Hey Luke! Sorry, no pics of the alternator setup but it's (I believe) the OEM setup for the early 99 (she's a first year 2.0L '73): cooking whilst tucked underneath the exhaust manifold/header. One of the many things I'd like to change if I can find a workable solution. Poke me in a month when my move's done and remind me to take pics of the current set up.

While the Black River Stages is (are?) a no-go in anger this year (too much going on, too much to do), it's definitely on the docket. Heard lots of good things about it/them.

S'up Geoff! Howdy Max and Airsweden!

(Airsweden=Snakes, yes? Speaks like an Egyptian, leads questionable move location questions with multiple periods? &, yes, Albany...when you're trying to get out of Deetroit...)

Return to “Introductions”