Hi from Australia. Late 1974 99 EMS

We'd like to know about you! Make your introduction into the SAABRally.com community here.
Saru
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Hi from Australia. Late 1974 99 EMS

Postby Saru » Wed May 06, 2009 1:50 am

:australia:

Hi :)

This is my new project that I just picked up on the weekend:

It's a 1974 Saab 99 EMS. Apparently Saab switched from Bosch d-jet to k-jet for the 75 model year. This car has k-jet, so I'm guessing that it's a MY75 car manufactured in late 74.

It seems like it's been left out in the weather for about 10 years.

But it also seems to run really well. (ok, and the fuel pump seems to have a minor issue related to it being 35 years old.) UPDATE: Drove it about 5 kms today and it died in traffic. No fuel. Damn) So other than the cosmetic issues, it's pretty nice to drive.

I'm getting it inspected for a roadworthy this Wednesday, where no doubt they will find it needs new balljoints in the front-end and new shocks (LHS rear seems very slow to rebound). Or something.

I'm kind of new to Saabs, so any advice will be appreciated. :)

The eventual plan is to gently and lightly restore it and then take it out for what's called khanacross here in Oz, which is sort of like US-style autocross but on dirt, and with "gates" not cones. Sort of. ;)

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Re: Hi from Australia. Late 1974 99 EMS

Postby max » Wed May 06, 2009 10:53 am

Are those some funky Ozzie headlight wipers? I've never seen those style before. :huh:
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Saru

Postby Saru » Wed May 06, 2009 2:49 pm

I don't think they're unique to Oz. Perhaps they are early ones? My friends 99T, behind my car, has the type the pivot on the inside of the headlight.

Maybe the type on the early North American cars are different because of the round DOT lights?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed May 06, 2009 3:57 pm

The US cars didn't get headlight wipers until sometime around 1990 on the 900, maybe earlier on the 9000. Its hard to wipe a convex round lamp with a blade :P

I can't see your photos (flicker blocked at work) but the 99 came with some nifty headlight wipers. I hear they break a lot though. The early ones went in-out from the inside and the later ones I think pivoted and went up-down, pivoted at the middle of the inside edge of the light.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Saru

Postby Saru » Wed May 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Geoff wrote:I can't see your photos (flicker blocked at work) but the 99 came with some nifty headlight wipers. I hear they break a lot though. The early ones went in-out from the inside and the later ones I think pivoted and went up-down, pivoted at the middle of the inside edge of the light.

Yep. My car has the in-out ones and the '78 99T has the pivoted ones. My friends 99T has the wiper arms removed. I have no idea if the wipers on my car work.

Return to “Introductions”