Intro/steering Wheel removal

We'd like to know about you! Make your introduction into the SAABRally.com community here.
jfoo13
Nickname: Jon
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Intro/steering Wheel removal

Postby jfoo13 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:52 am

Hi All,

I've been looking at this site for a while so I've seen a lot of everyones posts and on going projects but I have yet to introduce myself. My name is Jon and I'm a designer who works and lives in Boston. I'm originally from Maine and my first 4 cars were saabs. I've had a 1983 900, '86 SPG, '86 900T, '86 9000T, and then a long time without a saab until recently when I just purchased my favorite style saab, a 99.

Its a '74 base model (I think) that was originally from california and owned by a saab mechanic until recently when I purchased it. It has a 5 spd conversion and a rebuilt head. I would like to do a 16T conversion soon but I'm waiting to first find time to get it on the road. It needs an e-brake and a windshield for inspection. With a busy summer its hard to find time. I've recently picked up a Sport and Rally steering wheel that I'd like to put on but I'm having a little trouble getting the current steering wheel off.
My question is if there are any tips/tricks to getting the wheel off. I dont want to ruin anything. I've also noticed that when I pull the steering wheel with force, the entire shaft pulls forward about a half inch or so, without the wheel separating from the splines. Is this normal? The dash is all apart as well because I'm replacing the dash pad that someone used roof cement to attempt to hold down... ugh.

Heres a pic of the car half polished the day I after I picked it up. Shines alright but will need paint eventually. Also picked up a set of Ronal mini lights for $100. I'd like to get a set of Shelbys if anyone has some they'd part with...

Nice to meet you all - this is a great site and Luke's work is inspiring. Its nice to see somewhat local guys with the same passion.
Attachments
Saab2.jpg
SAAB1.jpg

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Intro/steering Wheel removal

Postby Jordan » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:45 am

Hey!

Your 99 looks great, I especially love the accessory stripe. As for the steering wheel, it should just pull off... but they are often very difficult since they have been tightened down fore so long. Did you try using some sort of puller?

Windshields are getting tough to find, but they are out there. The gaskets are even tougher to find in reusable condition. What is wrong with yours? When you say ebrake, do you mean the cable(s)?

'74 is a odd year (to me) since SAAB instituted a bunch of changes ~ '73-'74 so I never know what those cars have on them. Also be aware (not sure if '74 was included) but there was smog equipment put on California cars which can be removed to free up some of the Hp. I think my '76 had an EGR system as well as modified (crappy) timing, although I think the cam was already changed out to a standard one when I got it.

P.S. I like the Inca wheels on there now but minilite-style wheels always look awesome too.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:48 am

Your car looks nice! I'd like to see it sometime. Maybe you'll have it on the road for Swedish Car Day in October at the Museum of Transportation in Brookline?

I like the Inca wheels too. Some fresh paint and those things really sparkle, especially when they're moving. They really catch your eye.

The steering wheels on 99s seem to get jammed onto the splines. One trick that I learned from CrazySwede is to take your fists and pound on opposite sides of the wheel (left & right, not front & back) like a three year old laying on the floor throwing a tantrum. If that doesn't work you'll need to use a puller.

The play in the column is normal. When you get the wheel off you'll see a long metal collar with a tab on it under the wheel (you may need to remove the trim behind the wheel). If you take a chizel or a screwdriver you can drive that metal collar down the steering shaft (towards the firewall) and it will then sit up against the shaft support which will keep the shaft from moving in and out. You'll probably need to support the shaft (towards the driver) when you drive the collar.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:01 pm

I've always been able to get these steering wheels off by grabbing at 9 and 3 o'clock then rocking it back and forth, side to side while pulling towards me. Does that make any sense?

Unless you have a lot of time and energy for wireing and plumbing..... I say, If you can, drive it for a while before diving into a 16v engine swap.

Josh
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby matt » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:59 am

make sure you leave the nut in place but loose, if the steering wheel comes free when you're really pulling on it you'll have the steering wheel off and a bloody nose.
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:08 pm

As Geoff stated the banging the palms of your hands alternately against the wheel at position 3 and 9 works amazingly well. The same wheel that takes 800 lbs of force to pull directly off will almost fall off use this technique.
I am the 73%

jfoo13
Nickname: Jon
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby jfoo13 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:25 am

Thanks for the help guys - the wheel came right off after I used your technique. The new rally wheel still needs a little refurb on the center Saab emblem but the new allen screws I got in black make it nice so far.
I also restored the dash pad but its already peeling up. I used synthetic cemented to foam cemented to a thin piece of hard cardboard to mimic the original. I only used 2 sided tape to hold it down as I couldnt find anything to bond the board backer to metal. I'm planning on having the windshield out again soon so I can do some rust repair, hence the two sided tape.

I also picked up the mini lites, a new grill and some euro side markers which I really like. The paint is beat and it needs a respray. Some small improvements to get it on the road but I love it so far. I've wanted one for a long time so I'm really happy and its fun as hell to drive!

Future plans for it include trying to find a donor 86/87' turbo car to swap some suspension and engine this winter. Although I'm pretty happy enjoying the 8 valve right now as I think its been tweaked a little by the previous owner.
I'm also pretty interested in the idea of a AWD quattro system under it as the transmissions in saabs always scare me. Any one ever thought of this or done this swap? I've seen it on that '69 drag car but the site is in swedish so its a pain to translate. I know its a ton of work and way above my level but I like challenges...
Never mind the oil drip... ugh ... I think its the rear main seal. She's a driver for now!
Attachments
Saab3.jpg
Saab2.jpg
Saab1.jpg

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:49 pm

Nice car,

what is that color called? I dunno if I would do a respray. From the pics it looks like a nice clean survivor.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:38 am

that car looks too pretty to hack up with an AWD conversion. I say try to enjoy the 8V for now. It can be pretty peppy.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Return to “Introductions”