hi

We'd like to know about you! Make your introduction into the SAABRally.com community here.
austin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

hi

Postby austin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:30 am

hi all. i dont have a saab yet but im going to look at a 94 900 s. i was wondering what thing i should look for to tell if its worth picking up. any help would be great thanks

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: hi

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:46 am

well thats the first year of the new GM body style. Being a 94 it had better be pretty cheap. If it has a V6 turn around and run away...the V6 is in the new 900's is to be avoided at all cost.
I am the 73%

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:21 am

But if it's an S it would (should) be a 2.3, so most likely not a v6. Not sure I'd go for it anyway, I always thought the 94's were bad news to begin with. But then again, It's been a while since I've really been in Saablandia.
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

austin

Postby austin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:14 pm

it is the 2.3. i found out its hard to get the clutch to disingauge but read on grms fourms that the clutch cable streatches and its not to hard to change. it also has 200,000 miles on it. do they last much longer then that? thanks for the help

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:49 pm

austin wrote:it is the 2.3. i found out its hard to get the clutch to disingauge but read on grms fourms that the clutch cable streatches and its not to hard to change. it also has 200,000 miles on it. do they last much longer then that? thanks for the help

My 98 900 SE is just about to roll over 205,000 miles and all is still in good shape. The NG900 cars are decent as they have a Saab drive train in a GM platformed body. Like anything look for signs of rust. If you can do your own work you will save a lot of money as most of the parts can be had for a reasonable price. However if you have to pay to have everything done then it can add up quickly.
I am the 73%

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:17 pm

I had a 97 900s probably around 120, 130k when I sold it. I had some unusual body rust, most notably on one of the shock towers where I had it welded and coated. It was a generally reliable car, although I did have some odd failures early on when the car was new, such as a failed alternator and a failed ignition key switch. The motors on these seem to be pretty stout and trouble free. There isn't really any odd technology in them, so they are pretty straight forward and easy to fix. I had a transmission failure on mine which was most definitely my fault, seeing the way I used to drive it. After it was rebuilt, it was a great transmission, and I never had a problem with the clutch cable or the mechanical shift linkage, other than a routine clutch replacement. Overall, a pretty sturdy car considering what it got me through.
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Return to “Introductions”