Hey guys!

We'd like to know about you! Make your introduction into the SAABRally.com community here.
spgeebee88
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Hey guys!

Postby spgeebee88 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:36 am

I've trolled around this site for a while, and finally thought its time to join! can wait till spring to get working on the race car again!!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Hey guys!

Postby Geoff » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:03 pm

Hey Tom, thanks for joining! And thanks for the exhaust!
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:06 pm

Welcome to the gang. What kind of racing do you plan on doing with that thing?
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

spgeebee88

Postby spgeebee88 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:56 am

Geoff wrote:Hey Tom, thanks for joining! And thanks for the exhaust!

Ya no problem i like this site! theres alot of good info on it. you get that exhaust on yet?

currently iam setting it up for drag racing :crazy: , we will see how that goes

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:53 am

spgeebee88 wrote:
Geoff wrote: you get that exhaust on yet?

Not until Saturday.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:41 pm

I had intentions of building a c900 drag car out of a parts car I have. turns out its too rusty for anything but the crusher. Still would like to do a drag project one day. Are you gonna run slicks? I was unsure what to do with the tranny. Launching a slick laden Saab is gonna chew up some trannies. I was thinking that I would run it till the trans let go, then flip it around and put a Powerglide behind it with a 4 link/9 inch Ford combo.

spgeebee88

Postby spgeebee88 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:20 am

SwedeSport wrote:I had intentions of building a c900 drag car out of a parts car I have. turns out its too rusty for anything but the crusher. Still would like to do a drag project one day. Are you gonna run slicks? I was unsure what to do with the tranny. Launching a slick laden Saab is gonna chew up some trannies. I was thinking that I would run it till the trans let go, then flip it around and put a Powerglide behind it with a 4 link/9 inch Ford combo.

ya that's pretty much my plan, iam going to try to make a girdle for the trans, and cryo the internals, weld the diff, and see what happens...

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:18 pm

Keep us posted on your progress with this project. I am interested in seeing how your trans holds up under those conditions. I figured that I would do my best to reduce the weight of the car to minimize the mass that needs to be propelled from a standstill. The less weight you have to move, the less stress that translates to the tranny internals.

I have drag raced my 86 900 8valve at Maple Grove last year and was getting a fair amount of wheelspin on street tires. I was gonna try a set of slicks. M&H Racemaster 23/8.5/15. My fear is that the tranny spews itself all over the starting line at launch. I have my specs and times listed on dragtimes.com. And there are other Saabs listed there as well.

There is a guy with an early sonett that has a RWD 16v turbo. It would be interesting to find him and ask what he did to assemble the driveline. The real way to go would be a TCI prepped GM powerglide. Run that into a Currie 9 inch Ford rear. Those setups can handle 1000 plus HP.

happyandy
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby happyandy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:26 pm

spgeebee88 wrote:
SwedeSport wrote:I had intentions of building a c900 drag car out of a parts car I have. turns out its too rusty for anything but the crusher. Still would like to do a drag project one day. Are you gonna run slicks? I was unsure what to do with the tranny. Launching a slick laden Saab is gonna chew up some trannies. I was thinking that I would run it till the trans let go, then flip it around and put a Powerglide behind it with a 4 link/9 inch Ford combo.

ya that's pretty much my plan, iam going to try to make a girdle for the trans, and cryo the internals, weld the diff, and see what happens...

Just my $.02, but isn't welding the diff on a c900 gearbox thats connected to a strong engine a quick death sentence? I know Claud Hutchings went through several (and a couple of axels) last year on his rear engine c900 based ice racer. I think he was claiming 300 or so hp, and the gear box that I saw had no visible reinforcements. :crazy:

I'm not trying to be a troll, just wondering how thats going to work out. Your car looks sharp, and welcom to the forum.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:35 pm

I've seen a few 16VT Sonetts with RWD. One was a Sonett II (formerly 2 takt!) and the other was a Sonett III. I forget how they set them up to run RWD (because driving straight isn't as interesting to me as taking turns) but I know some Detroit components were used. I know the SIII was supposed to be pretty quick.

spgeebee88

Postby spgeebee88 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:17 pm

i love that car!

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:22 pm

Geoff wrote:I've seen a few 16VT Sonetts with RWD. One was a Sonett II (formerly 2 takt!) and the other was a Sonett III. I forget how they set them up to run RWD (because driving straight isn't as interesting to me as taking turns) but I know some Detroit components were used. I know the SIII was supposed to be pretty quick.

its hard to believe that a 16v turbo engine warrants the use of drag slicks that big on the rear of this car.
I am the 73%

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:59 am

well if it's kicking out it's full potential, it makes more torque than a good running big block V8, so why not?
Less brake more gas!

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Hans » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:54 pm

<beavis>Kickass</beavis>

Anyone got details on that Sonett?

Meanwhile, I remember reading some posts by Brad S. on the Saabnet perf board about a c900 drag car they raced at some point. <searches a bit...>

Looks like they were able to get down to a 13.90.

NA car +turbo
springs: 500F/600R
zero caster (he says the car lifts less on launch)
diff welded
auto transmission somehow messed with to yield 8psi boost @ 3K @ launch
interior went bye-bye
eventually, at some point, wheelie bars! (or whatever they're called for FWD...)

The other thing he did was take a picture -- front side view -- at launch, then jack the car up to that height and set the camber to 0.

Search Perf. board for brad drag and you should come up with more info. He may have done a girdle for 5 speeds at some point -- might be worth calling him.

spgeebee88

Postby spgeebee88 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:49 am

Hans wrote:<beavis>Kickass</beavis>

Anyone got details on that Sonett?

Meanwhile, I remember reading some posts by Brad S. on the Saabnet perf board about a c900 drag car they raced at some point. <searches a bit...>

Looks like they were able to get down to a 13.90.

NA car +turbo
springs: 500F/600R
zero caster (he says the car lifts less on launch)
diff welded
auto transmission somehow messed with to yield 8psi boost @ 3K @ launch
interior went bye-bye
eventually, at some point, wheelie bars! (or whatever they're called for FWD...)

The other thing he did was take a picture -- front side view -- at launch, then jack the car up to that height and set the camber to 0.

Search Perf. board for brad drag and you should come up with more info. He may have done a girdle for 5 speeds at some point -- might be worth calling him.

thanks for the info i did install two bars that get rid of all give in the rear suspension and jack it up 2'' in the rear. with just that it gets going really good i can launch it in 2cd with my launch control/ALS and it hooks up, i just beat the piss out of the clutch to make it as smooth as possible

Return to “Introductions”