Hello

We'd like to know about you! Make your introduction into the SAABRally.com community here.
MrCooper
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Hello

Postby MrCooper » Fri May 07, 2010 11:05 pm

Hi all, as far as introduction goes my name is Greg. I'm a huge saab fan, i've owned 2 so far and don't plan on straying from the brand. I'm a mechanic by trade, i went to a volvo specific training program and thats what i work on. Saab is still my favorite brand tough. The main reason i joined is because i own a 1977 99 ems that love. It was my first car, it was origonally my fathers, he bought it new in 1977. That car is the reason i got hooked on saab. It's currently sitting at my parents house, the fuel pump went out on it, but other wise it would run. I am bound and determend to restore it. I'm just having a very hard time finding parts for it, and was hopeing people here could help me out. Its biggest issue is it needs a lot of body work but i would like to replace the brake calipers, suspension, rebuild the engine, and all an all just completely restore it. I'm looking forward to hearing what people have to say, thanks.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Hello

Postby Jordan » Sat May 08, 2010 8:49 am

Greg,

What part of the country are you in? Depending on what type of restoration you are trying to do, most parts aren't too difficult to acquire, especially for a later model 99. Do you have any photos?

MrCooper
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby MrCooper » Sat May 08, 2010 1:43 pm

I live in nothren Wisconsin, about an hour and a half from the twin cities in Minnesota. As far as the restoration goes i don't want to do anything to crazy. I would like to update the brakes and suspension. I just want to update it a little but keep it close to stock. If it was a perfect world id love to put the turbo motor and 5 speed manual from the 78 turbo in it but i dont know where i would find that. I hate the 4 speed thats in it now. I've also seen pictures where they swapped a motor from a 900 turbo into a 99, is that easy enough to do or not so much? I do have a picture of it but it just shows the front of the car, i can always take more if people are intrested. Thanks for the reply / help i apprecate it

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sat May 08, 2010 7:01 pm

If you're doing a "drivability" restoration then the good news is that pretty much anything from the brakes and suspension is swappable with a 900, from any year. Front shocks are a little different but that is about it.

16v or 8v H motors can be shoehorned in, but it isn't all that simple. Lots of minor details that need to be worked out. you can fit any B motor (the ones with the mechanical waterpump) including the turbo without much trouble, they are just harder to find. Any transmission can be swapped onto any engine with the correct front cover (which mounts the trans to the body).

Return to “Introductions”