HI all!

We'd like to know about you! Make your introduction into the SAABRally.com community here.
Husky
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

HI all!

Postby Husky » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:24 pm

Glad I found this place. I've been thinking about rallying a SAAB for a while now, however I have never owned one. Nice to see some other folks with common intersts, even if they are in another part of the country. I'm in Charlotte NC.

Glad to be here.

Luke
Site Admin

Re: HI all!

Postby Luke » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:07 am

Welcome to the group! There was an old 99 rally car for sale in Florida on ebay recently, looks like a good project if you want to take the plunge.

Husky

Postby Husky » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:44 am

White one? I think it's on EBay right now, or at least it was this weekend.

It sure would be cool to run a 99, but something tells me that i'd have trouble finding parts here. I'm leaning a little more toward a 900 for this reason. I wonder about how competitive one could be in normally aspirated form vs. turbo.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:54 am

A 900 is a sensible choice. In terms of a motor I think you'll have to start with a non-turbo unless you have a lot of former racing experience and can get a waiver. The SAAB 900 is perfectly competive in its class if well driven.

Husky

Postby Husky » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:08 am

That makes sense.

My racing experience is limited to motorcycle track days at CMP and VIR. I got clearence for a license, but never did get one. No waiver for me i'd assume.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:46 pm

The good news about running a naturally aspirated 900 is that your transmission will last longer and you'll be able to drive the car closer to it's limit vs. your limit, which can be comforting.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Husky

Postby Husky » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:37 pm

Which class would it run in?

I was looking at the Nasa rules last night and I think that I decided it would be 2wd light?

I saw where the weight requirement had the adjustment multiplier, and again I would wonder about the best engine config vs. weight restriction. Any opinions?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:34 pm

a 900 could run in Grp 2 or Production classes depending on the level or lack of modification. NASA just changed their class names so 2WD light might be the appropriate class. Put in a 16v non turbo, a set of headers, and a better flowing intake and exhaust and you will have a reasonably cheap engine to start running with. A stock 900 with some better springs and shocks, cage and safety equipment and a skid plate will get you started. As you get faster you can evaluate your budget and build from there.
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:05 pm

Crazyswede wrote: Put in a 16v non turbo, a set of headers, and a better flowing intake and exhaust and you will have a reasonably cheap engine to start running with. A stock 900 with some better springs and shocks, cage and safety equipment and a skid plate will get you started. As you get faster you can evaluate your budget and build from there.

Excellent advice.

Husky

Postby Husky » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Crazyswede wrote:a 900 could run in Grp 2 or Production classes depending on the level or lack of modification. NASA just changed their class names so 2WD light might be the appropriate class. Put in a 16v non turbo, a set of headers, and a better flowing intake and exhaust and you will have a reasonably cheap engine to start running with. A stock 900 with some better springs and shocks, cage and safety equipment and a skid plate will get you started. As you get faster you can evaluate your budget and build from there.

Ok. Based on what I've read that would put it into the Open 2wd light, as the stock classes offer no leeway on intake (air filter anyways) or the exhaust manifold.

What is the competition in this class, modelwise?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:20 pm

Husky wrote:
Crazyswede wrote:a 900 could run in Grp 2 or Production classes depending on the level or lack of modification. NASA just changed their class names so 2WD light might be the appropriate class. Put in a 16v non turbo, a set of headers, and a better flowing intake and exhaust and you will have a reasonably cheap engine to start running with. A stock 900 with some better springs and shocks, cage and safety equipment and a skid plate will get you started. As you get faster you can evaluate your budget and build from there.

Ok. Based on what I've read that would put it into the Open 2wd light, as the stock classes offer no leeway on intake (air filter anyways) or the exhaust manifold.

What is the competition in this class, modelwise?

Focii, Golfs, Neons, 2wd Impretzles, 2wd Lancers... honestly I wouldn't be too worried about it.

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief

Postby matt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:27 am

you can always start in production (you have to build the cage first anyway) and move up from there. Just try to be forward thinking when you build things, though engine mods don't tend to interfere with the roll cage.
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

Return to “Introductions”