Oregon 99 GL coupe

We'd like to know about you! Make your introduction into the SAABRally.com community here.
SalemSaab
Nickname: CapitolSAAB
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: new PacificNorthWest Saab owner

Postby SalemSaab » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:25 am

Jordan wrote:Another thing I was thinking was just to check to see if your brake booster is working. I've seen them leak and not provide much assistance.

That was the first thought when I realized the car did come with power brakes :P

V4_guy wrote:I've always bought mine here: Paragon Performance

Good, Good....

Last edited by SalemSaab on Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CapitolSAAB - your source in the PNW for SAAB parts & accessories

spgftw
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby spgftw » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:07 pm

Looking for some seats still? Give me a ring this weekend. I have a complete set in grey that might be perfect for you.
Paul

SalemSaab

springtime

Postby SalemSaab » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:29 pm

Cruising yesterday, I narrowly dodge a cement rock in the road, only to have another fly in from opposite lanes & slam into my rear tire, flattening it :thumbsdown:
Guess that's a taste of rallying for me :P

Luckily I got my Incas back today, and utilized some spare tires. They turned out a bit darker than I hoped, but with the windows tinted they look pretty good.

Stereo wiring also is acting up on me now, hope I can get these electrics sorted out.. loving the pop-out windows & Spring weather for now tho.
Attachments
2012-04-21 13.29.54.jpg
2012-04-21 13.29.54.jpg (129.63 KiB) Viewed 32441 times

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: springtime

Postby squaab99t » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:25 pm

SalemSaab wrote:Cruising yesterday, I narrowly dodge a cement rock in the road, only to have another fly in from opposite lanes & slam into my rear tire, flattening it :thumbsdown:
Guess that's a taste of rallying for me :P

Luckily I got my Incas back today, and utilized some spare tires. They turned out a bit darker than I hoped, but with the windows tinted they look pretty good.

Stereo wiring also is acting up on me now, hope I can get these electrics sorted out.. loving the pop-out windows & Spring weather for now tho.

Looking good. A front spoiler would tie in the lower body black nicely.

SalemSaab

Re: springtime

Postby SalemSaab » Tue May 01, 2012 4:46 pm

squaab99t wrote:Looking good. A front spoiler would tie in the lower body black nicely.

I picked up the SAS Turbo replica, but decided it was a bit too aggressive (re: deep) for daily-driver use.
Is there any other options? There is definately a big gap to fill :P

For now I am probably done modifying the car anyhow, other than perhaps restoring the interior .. have a 111-year-old house I need to pay some attention to ..

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue May 01, 2012 5:27 pm

I've built front airdams using some strips of metal fastened to the back of the bumper and sheets of black plastic or rubber mounted to the metal strips. Added bonus: whack something and you can just bend it back by hand.

Good thing your house is pretty new. Sincerely, New England. :P
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Thu May 03, 2012 10:54 am

I have seen those spoilers on cars before, and they are sorta low, but as long as you drive accordingly... My 9-5 aero was so low that I ended up repainting it several times during my ownership.

I was tinkering with your car in some graphics software.... enjoy!
Attachments
SILVER SAAB.jpg
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

SalemSaab

Postby SalemSaab » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:44 pm

Still enjoying the 99 on a daily basis .. but it may have to go in favor of a family hauler with AC (this is my only vehicle. Unless you count the broken VW Van a buddy abandoned in my yard).

I'll be at the Portland Historic Races next month if anyone is interested in checking it out. Still running fantastic, just could use interior restoration.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Re:

Postby DrewP » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:03 am

SalemSaab wrote:Still enjoying the 99 on a daily basis .. but it may have to go in favor of a family hauler with AC (this is my only vehicle. Unless you count the broken VW Van a buddy abandoned in my yard).

I count the VW bus my friend abandoned in my shop, so it counts....
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Re:

Postby DeLorean » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:42 am

SalemSaab wrote:Still enjoying the 99 on a daily basis .. but it may have to go in favor of a family hauler with AC (this is my only vehicle. Unless you count the broken VW Van a buddy abandoned in my yard).

As a "daily driver" with my sort of driving, a 99 turbo is fun but does get a bit trying. A 99 body shell really is not intended to have AC, but it's tempting to install.... I have a 99-turbo AC kit sitting on the shelf, but I could not bring myself to install it onto an original non AC car.

It's only hot in PA for a few days a year, right? Meh. I just ordered tires for the 11 STI, so I can drive that for a while... it has working AC :( Not as fun to drive as the 78 99-t though. Does accelerate a tab better though, and although it did need an engine at 11K miles, the seat and steering column have yet to go wrong. o_O
Less brake more gas!

SalemSaab

Re: Re:

Postby SalemSaab » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:14 pm

DrewP wrote:I count the VW bus my friend abandoned in my shop, so it counts....

:P
I sold the 2 I had (how I met this guy), I don't want any more!
Unless it has a Porsche motor swap ...

DeLorean wrote:As a "daily driver" with my sort of driving, a 99 turbo is fun but does get a bit trying. A 99 body shell really is not intended to have AC, but it's tempting to install.... I have a 99-turbo AC kit sitting on the shelf, but I could not bring myself to install it onto an original non AC car.

It's only hot in PA for a few days a year, right?

Yeah, I have no intention of adding A/C to it, though I could probably get a setup from my friend with an abandoned 1981 900 sedan. Though I'd rather have the Turbo goodies off that first ;)

Rarely need AC here either, but I haven't had a Summer without it, so not looking forward to that. Luckily I have a very short commute, full of stoplights (and only 1 turn :ranting: ) but not too bad.
I really do not want to sell the 99, so I may reconsider. If I land a 2nd job here soon I'll hopefully have some $ to get the interior up to spec, and maybe start working on the motor a bit.

Anyone else going next month? I am if the guy I paid will ever send me my tickets ...

turbo stephan
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby turbo stephan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:10 pm

SalemSaab wrote:Anyone else going next month? I am if the guy I paid will ever send me my tickets ...

That is a fun show. I was there 2 years ago together with the NWSOC. Dennis (squaab) and I drove up in a mini convey on Saturday morning and spent the whole day there. They had a great food tent and lots of good cars around. In the evening we stopped at Atomic Auto and had a BBQ there.
Unfortunately I can't make it this year but I'm sure I'm going to show up next year. Do you know if any of the other Saabers are comming like Paul or Daniel?

Stephan

SalemSaab

Postby SalemSaab » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:08 pm

turbo stephan wrote:Unfortunately I can't make it this year but I'm sure I'm going to show up next year. Do you know if any of the other Saabers are comming like Paul or Daniel?

NorthWest Saab Owners Club is going as a group, so I'm sure there will be a decent turnout.
Going to call the contact today and see about the tickets.
I only have a cellphone camera, but perhaps I can borrow a digi from my family, so I'll be sure to share pics.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:47 pm

DrewP wrote:

I count the VW bus my friend abandoned in my shop, so it counts....

You guys had better watch out, VW ZOMBIES!
http://hooniverse.com/2012/06/22/volkswagen-vanagon-fires-slow-moving-first-salvo-in-zombie-apocalypse/
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SalemSaab

Re: Oregon 99 GL coupe

Postby SalemSaab » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:18 pm

Historic Races were fun!
the Saab club had a good showing, about 20 cars total .. one 95, one Sonnett; several 96s and 900s .. and a bunch of 9000s / 9^3s. I was the only 99 oddly enough, though a few members had them at home.

Unfortunately I realized we were camera-less after hitting the Interstate, but my friend managed to snap a few photos of my car, including one on the track .. not quite Rally, but it handled and sounded amazing. Makes me wish for more track time, but I'd need much better brakes, which would require larger wheels, and I'm simply too attached to my Incas (and still driving on a budget)

the 99 has been hesitant to start lately; battery checks out, so perhaps its the starter combined with summer heat. Tried to work on that last night but ended up fixing the exhaust leak instead :thumbsup:
still loud as hell though! straight-piped + cheap muffler = hide yo' kids.
Attachments
PIRHistorics2.jpeg
PIRHistorics2.jpeg (69.35 KiB) Viewed 32124 times

Return to “Introductions”