Oregon 99 GL coupe

We'd like to know about you! Make your introduction into the SAABRally.com community here.
SalemSaab
Nickname: CapitolSAAB
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

XXX @ Issaquah

Postby SalemSaab » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:24 pm

:...:
Last edited by SalemSaab on Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CapitolSAAB - your source in the PNW for SAAB parts & accessories

kuponut
Nickname: kupo!
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Re: Oregon 99 GL coupe

Postby kuponut » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:20 pm

squaab99t wrote:Kuponut, it would have been more wrench and learn if the T5 wirebundle were there. But all in all it is about hanging out comparing notes and learning about what worked and what didn't. Store that in your database for the future and knowing who ask when the time comes, or you can just drink beer.

Yeah, people had some interesting things to say, I'm still glad I went, I just don't really talk or socialize much is all.

SalemSaab

Postby SalemSaab » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Annoying problem: starts up fine, but then I stall it due to slipping clutch .. car then won't start.
Last week it finally sputtered to life after 30 minutes, but now I've been stranded for 90 with no luck.

Besides replacing my clutch, what should I look at? I was assuming the fuel injection was just flooding out (it already run rich, perhaps cos the Cali emissions equip isn't quite connected).

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:55 am

SalemSaab wrote:Annoying problem: starts up fine, but then I stall it due to slipping clutch .. car then won't start.
Last week it finally sputtered to life after 30 minutes, but now I've been stranded for 90 with no luck.

Besides replacing my clutch, what should I look at? I was assuming the fuel injection was just flooding out (it already run rich, perhaps cos the Cali emissions equip isn't quite connected).

check your plugs and make sure they are properly gapped. Makes sure your timing is set properly. I assume plugs, cap, rotor, and wires are all new? Check the spray patterns on each of the 4 cis injectors....(it is CIS right?).
I am the 73%

SalemSaab

Postby SalemSaab » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:43 am

Crazyswede wrote:
check your plugs and make sure they are properly gapped. Makes sure your timing is set properly. I assume plugs, cap, rotor, and wires are all new? Check the spray patterns on each of the 4 cis injectors....(it is CIS right?).

Yes CIS and newer plugs etc.
Still would not fire today, I don't have a garage, tools, or much automotive skill, so its it's the bus for me.

If I get this new job out of town next week there might be a fire sale on the 99 if anyone is interested
Last edited by SalemSaab on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:31 am

SalemSaab wrote:
Crazyswede wrote:

Yes they are / it is.
Normally starts fine. Today its still dead so I'm pretty much SOL.
I don't have a garage, tools, or much automotive skill, so I guess it's the bus for me.

If I get this new job out of town next week I guess it'll be a fire sale on. The 99 if anyone is interested :P

Does the car have electronic ignition or points?
I am the 73%

MattWatson

Postby MattWatson » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:22 pm

SalemSaab wrote:
Crazyswede wrote:

Yes they are / it is.
Normally starts fine. Today its still dead so I'm pretty much SOL.
I don't have a garage, tools, or much automotive skill, so I guess it's the bus for me.

If I get this new job out of town next week I guess it'll be a fire sale on. The 99 if anyone is interested :P

When something similar happened to me, this is what I did:
1. pulled a plug, it was wet, so the engine flooded.
2. pulled all 4, then plugged the block heater in (this was the middle of winter) which heats up the pistons and allows the gas to evaporate through the plug holes
3. took a propane torch (plumbing type) and heated the spark gap metal (wtf is this actually called?) red hot to burn off any residual crap on them
4. Leave it plugged in overnight.

Next day/ or same I guess Check for spark:
5. Pull the fuel pump relay (or you will floood it), connect a plug wire to the plug, and rest the threaded portion of it against some part of the head (I used the lift rings) where you can see it from in the car.
6. Get in and crank it over. You should see spark. If you don't, then you will have to check other things.

(note: if you have a friend, get them in the car, and just pull the king lead off the distributor and put it close to the head while they crank it, it will arc as well and show spark)

7. If you get spark, put the relay back in

Definately next day:
8. Put all 4 plugs back in
9. Connect everything up, make sure your fuel pump relay is in. (You can tell because in a 99, you turn the key to run (without cranking) you should hear the fuel pump run for a short period of time.
10. Try to start the car

10a. If it won't start (mine didn't right away, and I didn't want to flood it.) take off the intake pipe leading to the throttle body, spray in a bit of carb cleaner, put it back on, then try to start it.

Mine started after this, and ran crappy for a little bit while it burnt off any remaining crud.

Since, if it is cold, I have had to let the car idle til the temp guage covers up the horezonatal portion of the L. If I don't, the car runs shitty and bucks all over the place, and sometimes floods the engine and kills it, even when in gear driving at 30km or so. After I learned this, I havn't had a problem since. (unless I don't let it warm up a bit)

SalemSaab

Postby SalemSaab » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Awesome, thanks. I'll grab my friends when they get back in town & give that a shot.

SalemSaab

Postby SalemSaab » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:15 pm

Tried new plugs/cap/rotor & replacing relays, but no luck yet.
My buddy thinks the car isn't getting spark but we need a voltage tester to see if the coil is working.
Still stumps me since it fired up instantly before I stalled it.

MattWatson

Postby MattWatson » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:52 pm

SalemSaab wrote:Tried new plugs/cap/rotor & replacing relays, but no luck yet.
My buddy thinks the car isn't getting spark but we need a voltage tester to see if the coil is working.
Still stumps me since it fired up instantly before I stalled it.

If you do this part:
(note: if you have a friend, get them in the car, and just pull the king lead off the distributor and put it close to the head while they crank it, it will arc as well and show spark)

If you don't get spark from this, then it is either the coil, connectors/wiring to the coil, or the ignitor.

If you get spark, the coil is fine, as is the ignitor etc.

SalemSaab

Postby SalemSaab » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:33 pm

Borrowed a coil from my friend's dead 900T, it works great.
Have spark at the plugs and fuel to the injectors, but still no start, and battery is getting drained.

Going to try new points next @ friend's recommendation .. then its off to John Collins for an expert opinion!

Got a new job out of town so time is of the essence.

Worried the stall caused a short somewhere or disconnected a wire, but hoping for an easier solution

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:05 pm

If the car has points for ignition I would have changed these out first. My 75 with points went through them very quickly and there was an amazing improvement in drive ability with each new set I installed.
I am the 73%

SalemSaab

Postby SalemSaab » Sun May 12, 2013 12:27 am

Double post
Attachments
894990_601600599869991_812665406_o.jpeg
Last edited by SalemSaab on Sun May 12, 2013 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

SalemSaab

Postby SalemSaab » Sun May 12, 2013 12:28 am

Back on the highway commuting again .. culprit was the original burnt-out distributor cap, followed by my friend hooking up some wires wrong & me not double-checking :rolleyes:

Due to new job I may be moing, and might not be able to store the 99 and all the parts & wheels
If anyone may be interested let me know. I need to buy an AWD SUV soon.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon May 13, 2013 8:28 am

SalemSaab wrote: I need to buy an AWD SUV soon.

:crazy:
I am the 73%

Return to “Introductions”