New Guy

We'd like to know about you! Make your introduction into the SAABRally.com community here.
Shazam
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

New Guy

Postby Shazam » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:06 pm

Hey Guys,

Found myself checking out the build threads here more and more; figured it was about time I finally registered. I currently have a 1996 900 SE as my daily driver that is pretty much stock besides some visuals, and I have a 1973 96 that is pretty far gone, but it's fun to have around and learn on.

Here they are...

Put the front plate back on to cover up those rust stains (had it off to weld up some rust holes and repaint). Also, plasti-dipped the front grille black. Other wise it's the same

This is from the beginning of this past summer. I have sand blasted the wheels and repainted them satin black since then. Otherwise it looks the same... but all seats (except driver) and carpet is stripped... getting ready to patch some big holes.

My dream is to some day enter some amateur rallys with the 96. Currently out of the question as I'm student in college and can barely afford to store the damn thing. Also, I don't think I'll ever be able to get it structurally safe for rally... who knows though.

sjones

Re: New Guy

Postby sjones » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:29 pm

Welcome! You're one of those people that can confuse the same repair shop "No, not that 96, this 96".

Shazam
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Shazam » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:28 pm

I try to do most of the repairs myself. I normally only go there for an inspection, or if I just don't have the time/tools.

Every time I walk in, my regular mechanic rolls his eyes. He is more of an American car guy, but he doesn't most jobs.

The worst is trying to do a quick Google or eBay search for something for the 96. Search "Saab 96 ____" and you get pages and pages of parts for the 1996, and have to dig for the 96 things I want. I'm sure the 99 guys have a similar problem, and the 95 guys probably have it the worst when looking for those 95 specific parts... except for maybe the 93 guys, but are there any here?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:33 pm

96es are great rally machines. You could do some TSD rallies in it.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Return to “Introductions”