New to Saabs - in Seattle

We'd like to know about you! Make your introduction into the SAABRally.com community here.
Mars
Nickname: Mars
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

New to Saabs - in Seattle

Postby Mars » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:02 am

Hey people. A friend and I just picked up 2 1980 Saab 99s (mine is the blue one) and I have a burning desire to get into rally (even just rallycross, if I can find any PNW rallycross that is). I'm currently working on the gremlins of this car (electrical and fuel delivery issues) but I'm real excited to get the car out on the streets. I have found this site, along with a few others, that seem to be great resources. I'd really like to get tight with the Seattle area community (I'm sure there is one, right?...). I also have a 1976 BMW 2002 which is both my first car and my entrance into classics. Here is a picture of the two cars the day my friend and I picked them up:

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: New to Saabs - in Seattle

Postby Geoff » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:48 am

Welcome! Those cars look pretty nice from here. That picture makes me want to drive mine around.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:44 am

Is that the one with the rally motah!??!?

There are a few people on here from Seattle, and even more on the other boards, but pickins of people with classics there is pretty slim.

Welcome!
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:50 pm

Nice, welcome! It's definitely quality, not quantity that counts here. Without a doubt this is the most knowledgable and intelligent SAAB crowd on the internet...in english at least :) I think we have the best from most of the other boards as well as some "rally originals" :)

Most of us don't actually rally, but we all have a passion for the classics and the foundation SAABs heritage implies.

sjones

Postby sjones » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:03 pm

Welcome, this is the place to be for 99ers. That pair looks familiar, were they purchased from the same owner? Get in touch with Quinn Morley and http://www.northwindracing.com/

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:23 pm

Welcome,

Those cars look great! Someone had posted those on this site a few months back, I am really glad that they found happy owners.

Mars

Postby Mars » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Thanks for the warm responses!

DrewP wrote:Is that the one with the rally motah!??!?

Yes it is!

They did both come from the same guy as well. I got a load of parts along with so maybe you guys will be seeing some for sale.

I went to Scanwest yesterday for a new fuel filter and they remember the P.O. and the cars. Lots of work done there. Making connections already!

Only thing I'm bummed about is the PO said a turbo came with the parts stash but i guess it didn't make it in and I can't seem to get a hold of him now.

SalemSaab
Nickname: CapitolSAAB

Postby SalemSaab » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:23 pm

Very nice .. I think that is my 99's original color .. now I know what it looks like!

Any pics of the 2002? ;)
Contemporaries for sure .. but while most people know a 2002, mk1 celica / jetta etc., the 99 as a competitor is relatively ambiguous.

All you NorthEasterners have to be getting mad about all these nice PNW Saabs popping up :fuckyou:
CapitolSAAB - your source in the PNW for SAAB parts & accessories

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:46 pm

Mars wrote:Thanks for the warm responses!

DrewP wrote:Is that the one with the rally motah!??!?

Yes it is!

They did both come from the same guy as well. I got a load of parts along with so maybe you guys will be seeing some for sale.

I went to Scanwest yesterday for a new fuel filter and they remember the P.O. and the cars. Lots of work done there. Making connections already!

Only thing I'm bummed about is the PO said a turbo came with the parts stash but i guess it didn't make it in and I can't seem to get a hold of him now.

The folks at Scanwest rock. They have been playing with these cars for sometime. 3 decades? I have heard that the year '80 99 were the lightest since that was the peak of the rally years and had to use a stock body to be within the rules.
Good to see the cars fell into enthusiast hands. The PO just had too many projects and not enough time, money or garage space. One of your cars has the head that was on my car with the stage 3 cam. Have fun driving it in stop in go traffic, but it takes off at 3500-4000 like nobodies business....

Mars

Postby Mars » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:33 am

squaab99t wrote:
Good to see the cars fell into enthusiast hands. The PO just had too many projects and not enough time, money or garage space. One of your cars has the head that was on my car with the stage 3 cam. Have fun driving it in stop in go traffic, but it takes off at 3500-4000 like nobodies business....

I got it to idle alright the other day but it'd crap out when I tried to rev it. Sounded mean as hell.

I got the feeling when I bought the cars that he was kind of swamped. I'm happy to take on the challenge. I was also told the body came from Dave at Scanwest.

SalemSaab wrote:Any pics of the 2002? ;)

Two most recent pictures I have.

sjones

Postby sjones » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:10 am

Don't forget Nate at Troll Motors too. Nate used to work at Scanwest and is a great guy to take a 99 or 900 to.

Neil_G
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby Neil_G » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:15 am

I like the tree on the roof :thumbsup:

Nice BMW BTW

Neil

Return to “Introductions”