Another Oregon Saab enthusiast

We'd like to know about you! Make your introduction into the SAABRally.com community here.
johnshan
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Another Oregon Saab enthusiast

Postby johnshan » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:58 pm

Hello SAABRALLY,

I have really enjoyed reading the forum and observing the awesome saab projects that you all post to the site. in 2010 I traded my 1995 jeep grande cherokee straight across for a 1985 saab 900 turbo and haven't looked back since. The 85 turbo has been my daily drive while living in portland, my weekend vehicle while in college, and a daily commuter during summer internship. It has been somewhat reliable... but I can't deny that there is something special about it.

So far i have been mainly keeping it alive, but the hope is to make it a tank of a rally car.
IMG_0031.JPG

after being primed to cover up the failing paint
IMG_0741.jpg

This is how the 85 turbo looks now. I decided to go green... I call her the green llama
I have been debating on painting a flat black enduro strip.

Over the years I have been replacing everything that fails
-original transmission failed and replaced
-alternator failed and replaced
-window reg, failed and replaced with hand crank
-all engine seals including head gasket replaced
-lots of LH components
-rear suspension on SAS overload springs and spacers with bilsteins and a rear sway bar
-front suspension rebuilt, no sway bar

I have been battling LH for a while due to the garbage wiring insulation and recently dived into a Trionic 5 conversion. With lack of excess time ( engineering student) I decided to go with the eEuroparts conversion wiring harness and flywheel setup. Waiting on some parts still but I hope to get the conversion completed within the next couple weeks.

IMG_0808.JPG

Here is a shot of the 85 turbo under an unusually heavy oregon snow fall beside my younger brother's 1999 95.

Cheers,
johnshan

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: Another Oregon Saab enthusiast

Postby SwedeSport » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:06 pm

The green is cool.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:32 pm

Welcome! I too love that color, I usually don't care much for green, but you picked a really nice shade.

What discipline are you studying? There are lots of engineers on here actually - probably why we end up with really well done but overcomplicated behind-schedule builds!
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Saabina
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby Saabina » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:54 pm

That is really a cool car. Love the no side trim, no bumper extensions look. Very clean vintage look. Nice color too?

johnshan

Postby johnshan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:19 pm

Thanks all,

I was pretty satisfied with how the paint turned out ( did it myself ). The color is hunter green, thought it was reminiscent of the classic british racing green. Someday i'll put the original saab rear window louvres and turbo badging that I have back on to complete the look.

I'm studying chemical engineering and I have one term left before graduating with my BS :yay: . I also have a technical degree and spent a year as a light duty diesel mechanic before going back to school ( I've seen my share of monster twin turbo cummins trucks). Just recently got a couple job offers, so won't be too long before I have an actual income to spend on saab projects haha.

I love seeing the engineered design approach that goes into many of the projects on the forum. Also ya got to love the subtle engineering humor.

BTW,
I plan on starting a project thread documenting my experience converting to T5... it has begun
IMG_0863.JPG

Where did my distributor go?
IMG_0869.JPG

Oh thats right, I don't need one :thumbsup:
T5 is going to make the engine bay so much cleaner, I can't wait.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:36 am

Welcome,

I like the color too.

Be happy to help with any T5 conversion questions you may have and get any feedback on the eEuroparts trionic conversion harness (Since I put them together) ;)

crwchf01
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby crwchf01 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:23 pm

Try checking with IRON JOE at saabcentral.com or saablink.net. Last I knew he was removing the Megasquirt from his vert and is very much in touch with the T5 community in the Seattle area.
Too late for blind faith and ignorance...gotta get a bigger hammer!

johnshan

Postby johnshan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:55 pm

Not really as close to Seattle as one might think, but I did check out some of his posts. 300+ hp c900 vert... hugely impressive build. I've seen the car on the net before but didn't know much about the build. thanks for connecting the dots.

Return to “Introductions”