Greetings from Ireland

We'd like to know about you! Make your introduction into the SAABRally.com community here.
birddog
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Greetings from Ireland

Postby birddog » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:00 pm

P2230399.JPG
Hi there,

Paul from Dublin, Ireland here. I've been tinkering with older cars for the last 15 years or so and the one car I've always hankered for was a Saab 900 TURBO. I've heard so many stories about the kick in the arse they give when the turbo kicks in, I needed one.
Lo and behold, an early one (1983) turned up about 5 miles from home, this was truly a once in a lifetime event, as these are rare beasts indeed here in Ireland. I went to have a look and this is what I found-
P2230398.JPG
As viewed, my excitement over looked all the bad bits

I bought this beauty and did my usual of diving in, stripping it apart and putting everything through a deep clean.
P3040414.JPG

Well, I've learnt that this was one of the first, if not the first turbo's to be brought into the country. A customer of mine used to be the Saab importer and his first 900 Turbo was an '83, black outside and Tan inside with a familar reg number - RSI 920 (pity it wasn't RSI 900)

Anyway, thanks Luke for getting me on board, I'll let you know how I get on!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Greetings from Ireland

Postby Geoff » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:23 pm

Welcome! :ireland:
I visited Ireland two years ago. I don't remember seeing any C900s while I was there. I did see a few newer SAABs but they don't really count. ;)

The first turbocharged car I rode in was an '83 900 Turbo that my dad had bought. I remember the first time he accelerated hard the acceleration was so great that I didn't have the neck strength to pull my head away from the back of the seat!
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

birddog
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby birddog » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:22 pm

Hi Geoff,

Hope you had a good time here in Ireland. You're right, not a huge amount of c900's on the road, mostly you see ageing 5-doors and GM era cars. I'am going to change this and bring back a bit of class. I can't wait to feel the turbo rush you speak about.

Thanks,

Paul

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:57 am

We had a real good time in Ireland! We managed to get to the International Rally of the Lakes based out of Killarney and saw a whole bunch of interesting cars there.

One interesting SAAB we saw was a new 9-5 diesel and I think it had all-wheel-drive as well. Quite a large car for the western Irish roads where we saw it!
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Return to “Introductions”