Hi from California

We'd like to know about you! Make your introduction into the SAABRally.com community here.
deejaid
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Hi from California

Postby deejaid » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:42 pm

Hi all. I'm a long time lurker here at Saab Rally as this seems to be the place for 99's on the web. I've had other Saab's, c900's and an OG 9-3, but I really want to get a 99 now. I've lusted for a 78 Turbo for years but have come to really appreciate notchbacks and after looking at build threads on this site, am inspired to do a weekend vintage rally cross car.

My first question is, where are you all getting parts for your 99's? I read that an upgraded, racier cam is one to get more output out of these B engines, but I have no idea where to track down parts.

I'm going to keep reading here and learn as much as I can so I can hopefully soon have a 99 of my own.

Thanks for the inspiration!

DJ

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Hi from California

Postby hutch » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:32 am

Welcome!

I too would love a 99 for a fun weekend car but have realized it is likely not in the cards anytime soon. As for parts I'm not as familiar with 99 engines but a lot of that stuff seems to be drying up for 900's so you may have to look into custom work. I'll have to search around, I thought there was a good thread on here about camshaft specifications, I would think most companies that regrind camshafts would be able to rebuild one for you. I believe the lifters become an issue at high RPMs so thats something to keep in mind as well.

Theres also the option of Swedish Dynamics, their website looks like it was designed in 1997 and I thought their customer service had some issues but they offer performance camshafts, though I'd be shocked if they were the ones doing the actual work:
http://www.saabperformanceparts.com/cat24_1.htm

deejaid

Postby deejaid » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:55 pm

Thanks Hutch. Yeah, I'm familiar with the c900 parts sites and hunting on the Internet for different parts, but the 99 looks to be in another league of scarcity regarding parts. I didn't know if there was somewhere people were getting their 99 parts that I should be aware of.

hutch

Postby hutch » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:21 pm

Cool, sounds like you're on the right track :thumbsup:

I found some threads while searching, I thought there was another one with cam profiles in an excel spreadsheet but maybe I'm misremembering gear ratios :crazy:

http://saabrally.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=794
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2814

And a Swedish site with some cool B Motor parts:
http://www.kyrkmotorsport.se/gallery1_12.html

MSS used to be the popular option for cams and exhausts, though I'm not really sure if they still sell 99 parts like that anymore. If he doesn't see this you could also try sending Jordan a PM, he has a really cool Weber setup and could probably point you in the right direction.

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:07 pm

I've used these guys in the past for other projects, but I don't think they have an appropriate profile for the 99/C900 8V motors.
That said, I have an old B201 race camshaft with a chipped lobe that I was going to send to them to be repaired/copied. Then they would have a profile everyone could use.

Most ground cams are going to require significantly thicker shims/spacers to make up for the base circle reduction.

http://www.oregoncamshaft.com/index.html

John

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:03 pm

Welcome! Where in CA are you?

As for parts... I've had good luck hoarding, trading, keeping an eye on eBay, and buying up spare parts lots and cars on Craigslist.

That being said, I'm down-sizing, and lots of people here have extra stuff. If there's something specific you're after ask here, and check out some of the Saab Club sites in Europe. Google Translate works pretty well for Swedish!
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

deejaid

Postby deejaid » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:10 pm

Thanks Drew. I'm halfway between San Francisco and Sacramento. I'm in the process of cleaning out garage space to start collecting parts. I've had c900's and just sold my 1993 about 3 weeks ago so I am now Saabless. I'd like to build a high revving, 4 speed 99 that will be fun on the wine country back roads near my house, but could also be run in an SCCA rally cross course.

I joined this site a few years ago as it seemed to have more 99 content then all of the other Saab forums combined. I lurked and read up on as many builds as I could. Now I'm ready to take the plunge and find a 99. I know parts are really hard to find, but I like the hunt, so I'm prepared for it.

Chouan

Postby Chouan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:14 pm

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewforum.php?f=12

I'm a lurker there. Lots of good 99 info from across the pond.

deejaid

Postby deejaid » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:38 pm

Chouan wrote:http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewforum.php?f=12

I'm a lurker there. Lots of good 99 info from across the pond.

Hadn't known about that site. Thanks for the link Chouan :thumbsup:

Return to “Introductions”