Another introduction

We'd like to know about you! Make your introduction into the SAABRally.com community here.
Steve Scott
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Another introduction

Postby Steve Scott » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:09 pm

Fantastic! A competition SAAB forum!

Hello, my name is Steve and I've been a SAAB-a-holic for 29 years. I used to terrorize the roads of upstate NY in a series of 95, 96 and 97 (model) SAABs. Next I tried autocrossing for a few years in a 96, 97 and 99EMS. Then spent way too much money roadracing the 99. Marriage and family intervened and the racing stopped... for a while! Now I'm left with an old rusty SCCA 99EMS with real nice MSS/Koni suspension parts that runs like a scalded cat, and a pretty straight Sonett III with a spare nose and bad drivetrain...

Any suggestions? I have a tubing bender and a MIG, I can make it fit. :D
SAAB? Who makes that?

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:27 pm

Welcome! Have you got any pics of your cars? As a newb getting into the competition world it would be great to hear some of your history with SAAB racing. We have some extremely knowledgable and talented people on here, glad you could join us.

8)

Steve Scott

Postby Steve Scott » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:51 pm

Thanks Jordan. I don't have many in digital form yet but here's Watkins Glen in 1991. 'Sure looks tall, but I'd just run Nelson Ledges which was practically a rallycross course back then and I didn't have time to lower it. 'Didn't have the air dam on yet either. Those mods would've made for a better weekend at the speeds you could reach there. It was REAL SQUIRRELY braking into the old turn 5. 'Felt like the rear wheels were off the ground! I ended up crashing it that weekend... and had to drive it home to WV held together with sheet plastic and duct tape!

A little sad, but here's the same car today. 'Fresh engine and suspension under there though!

I'll dig for some better pics.
Last edited by Steve Scott on Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SAAB? Who makes that?

Steve Scott

Postby Steve Scott » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:10 pm

Here's one of the best way to build an engine. In the living room! Sure was nice to gap rings and fit bearings sitting on the sofa in front of the TV with a burger and a coke on the endtable!
Last edited by Steve Scott on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAAB? Who makes that?

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:04 am

Thats a neat looking car you got there, thanks for joining us!

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief

Postby matt » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:19 pm

welcome to the forum. Looking at your picture of engine stand in the living room another reason that's the best palce comes to mind. The wife would not stop nagging until the job was done, therefore you could have it done in a day or less. :D
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

Steve Scott

Postby Steve Scott » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:23 pm

Matt wrote:welcome to the forum. Looking at your picture of engine stand in the living room another reason that's the best palce comes to mind. The wife would not stop nagging until the job was done, therefore you could have it done in a day or less. :D

Better yet, I was...uh, in between wives at the time. I learned that girlfriends are generally more tolerant of car engines and motorcycles in the house! When that picture was taken, there was a motorcycle in the kitchen and three more in the back bedroom. :lol:
Last edited by Steve Scott on Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SAAB? Who makes that?

Steve Scott

Postby Steve Scott » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:58 pm

Found another one! This what she looked like after rebuilding from the Watkins crash. Hey, that makes a fine avatar!
SAAB? Who makes that?

hotrodlarry

Postby hotrodlarry » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:36 pm

wooooowwwww.... nice stuff. welcome to the club

Steve Scott

Postby Steve Scott » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:01 pm

May I submit a non-competition SAAB project? This 95 had a Monte Carlo (I think?) dashboard with the Nardi (?) wooden steering wheel. Don't tell anyone but I switched steering wheels when I sold the car and it still hangs on my garage wall. :wink:

The previous owner used it for pulling a cart on his farm! I have to keep reminding myself how rusty it was so I won't feel bad about selling it.

Before:

After:
SAAB? Who makes that?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:12 pm

Steve Scott wrote:Better yet, I was...uh, in between wives at the time. I learned that girlfriends are generally more tolerant of car engines and motorcycles in the house! When that picture was taken, there was a motorcycle in the kitchen and three more in the back bedroom. :lol:

That sounds like Seth's house!

It looks great, get it going again! :-)
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:37 pm

Yeah except in Seth's case instead of being between Wives, he's between genders. Ha Ha!

Return to “Introductions”