A little drive in the woods

We'd like to know about you! Make your introduction into the SAABRally.com community here.
aireeca
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Re: A little drive in the woods

Postby aireeca » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:13 pm

Geoff wrote:Awesome trip! I saw the cars at SOC but I hadn't seen photos until now. How long were you driving for?

We were out for about two weeks, leaving on a Saturday from New London, Connecticut, (where I lived until my recent move to the largely Saab-less Cleveland, sigh) and rolling into Devens, Massachusetts late the Thursday night before SOC. I think, all told, the trip was close to 4,000 miles and just incredible. Every time I get in the car now, it's hard to ***just*** run errands....

aireeca
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby aireeca » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:42 pm

max wrote:I'd love to do this very trip myself someday. I was just looking at the gallery you posted to sort of make out the general route you took. How did you get from Red Bay, NL to St. Anthony, NL? Was there a ferry? And why did you end up taking the ferry into quebec instead of the roads? Just curious.

Edit- just did a bit of googling, and I found the Ferry from QC to NL. :thumbsup:

Here's a map of our route (more or less, we made some changes here and there):

The ferry in Quebec on the second day was a surprise. We kept driving past those orange scrolling road construction signs that were saying something along the lines of, "Why rush, there will be another boat." But, not knowing there was a ferry across the Saugenay River (it looked like a fixed bridge crossing on the map), I thought they were talking about some of the touristy whale-watching boats along the St. Lawrence Seaway.

All told, there were four ferries:

1. Saugenay River, Quebec
2. Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NL, to Cartwright, NL (this is an overnight, 13-hour-ish ferry that basically goes down and out a long lake and then back into a harbor. It will be gone as of late next year when they open a road link between HV-GB and Cartwright.)
3. Blanc Sablon, QC, to St. Barbe, NL (this is a crazy, old Swedish, German, Estonian ferry that has a pretty checkered past and plies a VERY windy stretch of the Labrador Strait.)
4. Port-Aux-Basques, NL, to North Sydney, NS (let's just put it this way, halfway through the ferry ride, I woke up from my sleeping spot on the floor and thought, "Wow, it's calm. We're not slamming into waves anymore in a 100-mph crosswind. Either it's gotten calm or we sank." I was too tired to investigate further.)

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:54 am

Did it take two weeks doing leisurely sight-seeing driving, or like 18 hour days hell-bent driving? :P
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:03 pm

some places we hung around for a few days and didn't really drive at all, others days were an 800 mile on/off road race :thumbsup:
Less brake more gas!

Return to “Introductions”