'71 Shell Prep updates

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: '71 Shell Prep updates

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:36 am

It sounds like its gonna be pretty mean. Drew has some work to do to catch up to you. You gotta be itchin to slide her into gear and go for a spin around the block. Great job. It is a good thing it didn't backfire thru the trumpets into you gasoline soaked attire.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:49 am

SwedeSport wrote:It sounds like its gonna be pretty mean. Drew has some work to do to catch up to you. You gotta be itchin to slide her into gear and go for a spin around the block. Great job. It is a good thing it didn't backfire thru the trumpets into you gasoline soaked attire.

I bought a fire extinguisher for just that occasion :thumbsup:

I haven't mounted the shifter yet, and I've got to bleed the brakes, but other than that, it should be mobile.

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:03 pm

Man adding carbs to an engine always automatically raises it's badassery quotient like twofold. :lol:
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:54 pm

SwedeSport wrote:Get some pics up, Drew needs some motivation.

Awww, you guys are sweet.

Can we be facebook friends now?

Jordan, sounds rediculous, looks amazing, way to go! :thumbsup:

But what are all those wires for? Those are way to many wires for a carby car..... :huh: (gotta wait for the customers to get out of the office so I can watch your video with the speakers turned up!)

Drew
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:32 pm

Its basically just all the lights, gauge sensors, fan, water pump and instrumentation and since everything is relayed, it looks worse than it is :D

Speakers are key... it's a pretty crappy video otherwise. :lol:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:28 pm

HUGE PROGRESS yesterday with the help of Luke, Groo and Jared. Luke got the shifter linkage situated and with a couple of tweaks this morning I have 5 gears (5th needs a little trimming off the lock out mechanism as it runs into the new rear mount).

After swapping the in/out lines on the e-brake (that I had reversed) we bled the brakes and ran into another situation where the MC was holding pressure and locking the rear wheels. Turned out that the hand lever was not able to fully disengage and a couple turns to shorten the throw , fixed that this morning.

A quick bolt check and front brake bleed and the car was ready to move on its own accord. It was only about 10 feet in reverse, but it was a good feeling.
:thumbsup:

Also of note, was the light and smoke show put on by poorly tuned carburetors and Luke constantly spraying carb cleaner to keep the thing going. :lol: Wish we had it on video, the noise was epic.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:44 pm

More progress on the engine front.

Gave it its first oil change, which required welding a nut to the drain plug as it must have corroded to the case or got really banged in there. Very dirty for only running for like 10 minutes! Using the oil temp sensor oil plug – we'll see how long that lasts.

Got the timing and idle pretty much situated. Car seems to run relatively tame now at ~ 1000rpm. Took it for a turn around drive across the street and back and it feels great so far...baby steps. Working on registration/insurance now. Still lots of clean up work to do!

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:56 pm

Getting it ready for the rally-x?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:33 pm

Yup, trying to.

Car actually seemed semi-drivable. All the mechanics seem to work. Water pump functions nicely, fan comes on , all the regular stuff. Stuff I'd probably do if I ran the rally-x would be to have some sort of skid plate , change the front springs to something softer/taller and tires. Mud flaps would be nice too. I actually was going to paint the underside of the hood, but the temps are dropping quickly.

It's definitely plausible to have the car up there. I'm not sure it will 100% but I'm pretty sure I can get it there.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:58 pm

I think I can speak for the forum,... we are rooting for ya!

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:11 am

Holy shitfuck. You have a running project car! :yay:
-Max

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:31 am

Max,

Dont jinx it for the guy,.... he's so close now! LOL!

I wanted to ask what you planned to do with the grille treatment.

I was thinking my 71 would get single headlights with intake ducts where the inboard lights were. Polish up the stock grille to nearly a mirror shine. Smooth and polish the bumpers. Put some sort of black mesh screen behind the grill to add some contrast. Im gonna run the SAS airdam as well, but was thinking some brake ducts were in order. Ill probably end up using an airflow styled fender flare to cover the widened steel wheels. Thinking the wheels should be black 6 slots with the early 900 polished stainless bullet center caps. Im still on the fence about using a polished stainless trim ring. Im leaning toward the off white shade that Saab used in the mid 70s. The interior will likely be black.

You are knee deep in the best part of any car project... The part where you actually see it coming together. It definitely helps you find the motivation to continue when you start attaching the shiny bits.

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:04 am

SwedeSport wrote:Max,

Yes but what you may not realize (or maybe you do.) is how long this has actually been going on for... this one car is only the culmination of a long saga. :lol:
-Max

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:43 am

max wrote:

Yes but what you may not realize (or maybe you do.) is how long this has actually been going on for... this one car is only the culmination of a long saga. :lol:

The story begins as "Don" Vito Pagano, the head of a Connecticut SAAB Club oversees his daughter's "Project Car". His beloved son Jordan has just come home from the war, but does not intend to help with "Project cars". Through Jordan's life, the nature of the SAAB Club becomes clear and Jordan travels to Vermont where he finds a Project Car of his own. When Jordan comes home, the Club President dies of a heart attack. Jordan then orchestrates the restoration of SAAB's for the five chairman of the Club's board and becomes the new Club President. Only then does he finally have the ability to complete his "Project Car.
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:56 pm

airsweden wrote:
max wrote:

The story begins as "Don" Vito Pagano, the head of a Connecticut SAAB Club oversees his daughter's "Project Car". His beloved son Jordan has just come home from the war, but does not intend to help with "Project cars". Through Jordan's life, the nature of the SAAB Club becomes clear and Jordan travels to Vermont where he finds a Project Car of his own. When Jordan comes home, the Club President dies of a heart attack. Jordan then orchestrates the restoration of SAAB's for the five chairman of the Club's board and becomes the new Club President. Only then does he finally have the ability to complete his "Project Car.

I want 30% of the book deal. :lol:
-Max

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”