75 99 build

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
BigB
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

75 99 build

Postby BigB » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:27 pm

Started my dream car. bought 3 99's and found the 75 ems had the best body. Started digging in this week and am doing OK with finding my rust. Actually usual places in shock mounts etc are pretty good.
Attachments
16388439_1918646871702800_4438979909245797828_n.jpg

BigB

Re: 75 99 build

Postby BigB » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:48 pm

Looking for input on weather to commit to changing rear axel with hubs and brakes of a 900 or stay with originals?

My thoughts below about heading in combining a 86 parts car with my 99 body/engine

Would love input!!!!!! as I have a week or so before body is ready for paint and thinking about doing it all now while I have access to a lift.

Keep all original 99 parts or........

Suspension:
86 900 rear axle & trailing arms
86 900 front hubs, CV joints, upper a-arms
86 900 rear and front Bilstien shocks (do these fit with the rear axle on a '69-'74?)
86 900 lowering springs or new suggestions?
86 900 swaybars rear good but I have read don't do fronts?

Engine I am looking to have rebuilt.
bore piston sleeves new rings and pistons suggestions?
5 speed transmission from late 70's 900 have it.
new heads
turbo? have original any suggestions on better.
Have ability to make custom exhaust was going to split and run out side before rear wheel

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:23 pm

First off, this looks like it will be an awesome project!

My vote is to make the car the best driver it can be as its not some mint low mileage 99 Turbo thats been stored in a bubble its whole life. If you are going through the effort of rebuilding it from scratch I would personally enjoy having the benefits of the 900 parts since it seems like its getting difficult to find 99 parts these days. I would wait to hear from the 99 experts on the differences in what can bolt up and what can't, but it was my understanding that within reason most of the 900 parts can be made to fit a 99.

Only big question I would have is are you thinking of putting in a 16v engine or are you sticking with the 8v? The 16v requires some 'finesse' to fit in a 99 engine bay, which is notably more cramped than a 900 so everything becomes more difficult to fit. I think an 8v with a later TE05 turbo, with an intercooler if you're feeling really ambitious, would make for a great cruiser without all the hassle of a 16v swap...

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:15 pm

Are those the cars that were in Groton, MA?

If it were me, I'd use a lot of the underpinnings from the '86 900 simply for serviceability and parts availability.
Rear axle: Nice because you can use the 900 rear shocks (sounds like you have some Bilsteins). It is also a little bit wider
If you put in the 900 rear axle in you can use the 900 rear swaybar
Front hubs/CV: easier to replace don't need a whacky tool, parts are more available. I wouldn't change the A-arms, the '75 should have the same arms as the 900.
Front 900 bilsteins won't fit.
Front swaybar: I think John (99Super) put a 900 bar on a 99. There's a place it will fit.
If the 900 has lowering springs, try them out in the 99. I run 900 lowering springs in 99s.

Turbo: I would go N/A (unless you have a B turbo and really want it). It's fun to just wind out a well-built N/A engine and there's a lot less custom plumbing and other things that could go wrong.
Pistons: If you go N/A you can get some flat-top pistons from an air-cooled VW. You'll need to have the block bored and some bushings made for the connecting rods because the wrist pin for the VW is a little smaller.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:31 pm

What Geoff said...
Looks like a fun project!
Use the 86 rear axle/swaybar/shocks.
Use the 86 front hubs/cvs/rotor (everything between the ball joints).
Use the 99 axles, don't use the sway bar.

As Geoff said, a well-built B20 is a hoot to drive and the 75-77 CIS is easy to work on without the Lamba system.

Headers really wake up the engine! Turbos add a lot of extra complexity. Plus, you likely won't break the trans w/ the 8V!

Try to find some wider wheels, the Shelby's are pretty popular on 99's, and some wider tires.

Good Luck!

John

Edward
Number of Saabs currently owned: 20

Postby Edward » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:21 am

I would definitely do "modern" brakes and suspension while retaining the 8v engine. Looking forward to seeing this thing progress.

BigB

Postby BigB » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:48 pm

Finished all rust repair with solid metal replace and welding. Shaved side lights and took some 96 metal bumpers stretched and brought in. Tried to take the only poor line off the 99 rear end which looks like a loaded diaper without a bumper. Cut it with inset bumper ( pic) Looked at flush mounting the rear lights but way too much work to use original '75 lights so they stay as is. God love the solid undercarriage rust proofing. Came off in sheets exposing pure original metal. Getting Psyched as progress being made.

Blew the Head gasket and cracked the heads on my 85 C900T. Turbo also shot. So will part out into my 99 instead of investing anymore in what was a great daily driver with kids. Now on to a car just about me. Anyone want a white C900 sedan body. NO RUST all repaired last year. Other parts mostly interior available with a lot of custom work but will have to wait until I can put what I want into 99.

Gonna keep the original 99 engine with a 5 speed trani from a early 900. Looking to have professional rebuild as I am a pull and replace kind guy.
Taking suggestions on what s realistic. Have turbo and 2 heads.
I assume grinding heads,
bore pistons
maybe stiffer rods and new valves.
Classic Water pump scare so think will stick with original if can get it apart. ( anyone have a puller)
Maybe new turbo rather than a rebuild?
gonna split exhaust and run out just before rear wheels.
Attachments
photo 5.JPG
photo 4(3).JPG
photo 3(1).JPG
photo 2(3).JPG
photo 1(4).JPG

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:45 am

Looking good!
Be sure to check the block dimensions before you buy new pistons or bore the block.
If there has not been damage, the blocks simply do NOT require boring.
A good hone w/ fresh rings and bearings will run these engines for another 200K miles!
"Stiffer" rods is also un-necessary, even w/ a turbo! This engine was designed like a diesel,
so it's waaayyy overbuilt.
Don't be afraid of the water pump. When you get the cover off (it sleeves down into the block)
and figure out which type you have, a simple "bridge" style extractor can be fabricated and
seal installers can be made from hardware store PVC bits.

Good luck!

John

BigB

Postby BigB » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:06 pm

Took and early 900 tail piece that stretched the width of the truck and didn't seem right. Tried to cut down a 99T whale tail. Have not decided i like it enough to keep going with it. Opinions welcome.
Attachments
Whale Tail 2.jpg
Rear Whale Tail 1.jpg

Scott

Postby Scott » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:32 am

Hi, where are you located? I'm curious about the rust free body and other stuff you may be selling...
I wish my car had winter mood technology.

BigB

Postby BigB » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:22 pm

It's been a long time since I have posted but I have been busy. Finished the body of the 99 and had a month to paint while engine was out. Did the paint job with tons of back and forth and got it right in the end. Buuuutttt engine and trani was toast. rebuild too much for the overtaxed budget. So project going ass backward. checked my other non turbo engine and I have moved on. Found a local 15 miles from my house a 92 900 turbo convertible. Had a bad injector and the guy sold it to me for $200. took a risk and I think I will have a solid 140,000 engine that has good compression on cylinders and turbo looks good. Actually engine and electronics look mint. I know a lot of work for putting a 16v into a 75 99 engine cavity but am excited about the power. The body is modified so not a true resto. Ordered a injector and will get the engine running perfectly and then transfer. Anyone have a great thread build for the requirements for the addition of the bigger engine and turbo. I bought some 9000 recaro seats and plan to switch seats and jam 2 fronts in the 99. Hoping to start next week on the engine and mid july for the transfer.

In the mean time I was driving through VT and found a stash of 99's Working on the purchase of a 77 99 turbo. supposedly a test model for the 78 turbo but engine has original 45,000 and turned over. Now have 4 99's for 1 car that is getting a 900 engine. Soooo picked the best body and will build an all original 99 notchback with a 99 turbo engine. Sooo gotta make room so if anyone is looking for 99 parts I have tons already and will be snagging everything I can before I recycle a beat up 78 body. I'll post some pics when i move the car. But this is what I did to the inca's Face is my grey and side edges in black.
Attachments
Inca Side  copy.jpg
Inca face  copy.jpg

beckmannag
Number of Saabs currently owned: 27

Postby beckmannag » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:50 am

Anyone have a great thread build for the requirements for the addition of the bigger engine and turbo.

Wouldn't call it a great thread, but this is what I did a number of years ago.
(follow the prompt at the bottom of each page)
http://beckmannag.com/automobilia/16v-saab-99t

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:47 am

There used to be a 77 turbo test car on popple dungeon road iirc. Snakes Malone asked the guy about it years ago but the owner wanted way to much for it and it was a rusty hulk then. Wondering if the one you found was the same one. Where did you find the latest stash of VT 99's?
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:28 pm

I think that '77 Test car on Popple Dungeon Road was for sale ~5 years ago and nobody bit. Then I think it sold ~4 years ago to someone else in VT. I saw a blurry picture at the time. It was hard to tell how rough it was.

If it's a real '77 Test car you've found, I wouldn't strip it unless absolutely necessary. A nice one lists for high $.
http://inventory.swedishmotors.com/detail-1977-saab-99-turbo_test_car-used-9125205.html
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:19 am

Snakes told me about it and that was probably 15 years ago? said it was really rough then. It might sell for a lot when in nice shape but if it takes $30,000 to get to nice shape I'm not sure its worth the effort. Other than a turbo engine, a plonky badge on the dash, and the novelty its not much special
I am the 73%

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”