ITB B212

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: ITB B212

Postby Geoff » Tue May 21, 2024 9:00 am

It's been a while since I looked at Send Cut Send. Upon a customer's recommendation I sent them a few drawings a year or so ago and the quote came back with a bunch of red flags (all parts were listed as having the same overall dimensions, etc.) so I decided not to try out a new vendor on an important project with a short timeline. But we've since used them on a few lower-risk projects and had some good success. I didn't realize they work with materials like cork!

So what was wrong with that 900, other than missing it's body and being a risk for forhead teatnus?
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Fri May 24, 2024 1:32 pm

Geoff wrote:It's been a while since I looked at Send Cut Send. Upon a customer's recommendation I sent them a few drawings a year or so ago and the quote came back with a bunch of red flags (all parts were listed as having the same overall dimensions, etc.) so I decided not to try out a new vendor on an important project with a short timeline. But we've since used them on a few lower-risk projects and had some good success. I didn't realize they work with materials like cork!

So what was wrong with that 900, other than missing it's body and being a risk for forhead teatnus?

I've had great luck with Send cut Send. Great material selection now a days. Only problem was on my end once. Submitted instant quote and I built my model on the wrong plane. Guess I was out of practice. Quote came back over $700. Got my model fixed and resubmitted. $37...
You have not seen the ultra-light version of the c900? Guess the original owner put it into the ditch with only 1400 miles. Guy bought it at auction and cut off the body for spares. He said it made more room for storing?

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Sat May 25, 2024 1:47 pm

Making clampy-pinchy bolt fittings for the velocity stack couplers. I don't have a vertical mill in the shop and would have to go to a buddy's. Instead I got creative with some tooling and turned my lathe into a "horizontal mill" Chucked up a boring bar and bit to act as a fly cutter. Part held using the tool post and carriage to feed. Able to cut the cope in the round bar in 6 light passes.
IMG_E3616.jpg

IMG_E3618.jpg

IMG_E3619.jpg

Great fit-up as it is hard to argue with math. Now a way to hold it in the right place, consistently. In my book anything above 2-3 parts deserves a a fixture jig. This one is pretty straight forward and I had material on hand to do it up. I'll be able to TIG tack it a few places, remove the jig and silver solider all around.
IMG_E3625.jpg

IMG_E3626.jpg

IMG_E3627.jpg

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”