89T Daily Beater Project

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: 89T Daily Beater Project

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:47 am

Yeah I really want to find a set of louvers for it. I think that would complete the look.

It's kind of scabbed together, but it's all welded metal, and not chicken wire and fiberglass. The repair ought to last a few years without worrying about inspection.

I was on a road trip picking up some parts from a local Saab Junkie, when he asked me if I had any interest in the basket. The price was right, so I took a chance on it. The feet and load bars were all bent up and just plain hammered. So I just modified it to bolt to a set of Thule bars.

I like the profile of a 4 door. The trunk cars just have a nice shape to them. Not crazy about the smaller door opening , but it is what it is. I am sure it is possible to graft in some B pillars and quarter sections from a 3 door, and make one into a 2 door, but that is a lot of work.

I have just had plenty of 3 door cars, and a 2 door car. Now a 4 door... All I need now is a Convertible, and a 5 door to have owned every body style.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Adrian Thompson
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby Adrian Thompson » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:20 pm

RadioFlyer wrote:Man, those sheet metal repairs turned out awesome! I can see the difference in your luggage rack now too - definitely looks longer than mine. I like the look. Thinking about possibly getting a 4dr when we get back east. Much easier to put a car seat into. It would have to have a set of 4dr louvres though (good luck finding those, RadioFlyer).

I like the look of this one:

http://detroit.en.craigslist.org/okl/ct ... 07470.html

Ad removed, what was it exactly?
Project Loki - 88 900C - future TSD, Rallycross and track day toy

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:33 pm

Adrian Thompson wrote:
RadioFlyer wrote:Man, those sheet metal repairs turned out awesome! I can see the difference in your luggage rack now too - definitely looks longer than mine. I like the look. Thinking about possibly getting a 4dr when we get back east. Much easier to put a car seat into. It would have to have a set of 4dr louvres though (good luck finding those, RadioFlyer).

I like the look of this one:

http://detroit.en.craigslist.org/okl/ct ... 07470.html

Ad removed, what was it exactly?

It was a 1984 Saab 900 4 door turbo with a tan leather interior and a bright red exterior with black trim. Unfortunately it was an automatic....which would require conversion.
I am the 73%

spgftw
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby spgftw » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:28 pm

Yeah I really want to find a set of louvers for it. I think that would complete the look.

4 door louvers, you say? I have a set of those in my basement. It's a long ways from Portland to Utah, or to PA, but if anyone's serious maybe we can sort it out....

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:08 pm

Im interested... pm me.

RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby RadioFlyer » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:01 am

I know of a set out here in Utah on a 4-dr. Always thought they looked amazing, plus my wife likes the look of a 4-dr and likes having louvers, so I figured it would be a perfect sale to get her back into a Saab! I ran it by her the other day and she nearly bit my head off... so I guess that means no?... for now. :thumbsup:

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:16 pm

RadioFlyer wrote:I know of a set out here in Utah on a 4-dr. Always thought they looked amazing, plus my wife likes the look of a 4-dr and likes having louvers, so I figured it would be a perfect sale to get her back into a Saab! I ran it by her the other day and she nearly bit my head off... so I guess that means no?... for now. :thumbsup:

The 4door is pretty sweet for the little future Saab lovers. Mine was able to say" Saab turbo" at the age of two.
Your back will thank you.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:50 am

Well,

I spent a little time over the weekend getting the flatnose headlight conversion all wired up. It is a little tricky, but with a little patience I was able to get it figured out. I have sealed beams in it right now, but plan to swap them in favor of the Cibie lenses that I have hanging around. I just need to get some H4 bulbs to complete the task.

Still have to finish up the passenger side rust repair, but it is just too stinking hot to do it outside right now. There is a few hours in the morning , and a few at night before dark to get stuff done without the sun trying to kill you.

The car still needs a motor and trans swapped into it. And I am seriously leaning toward T5 now that Jordan brought those flywheels to market. I will probably just buy the flywheel and sensor when I throw the replacement powerplant in the car. I think the late 900 clutch is probably fine, and I don't need it lightened. I am having some clutch issues again, and might just bite the bullet and replace the disk, pressure plate, TO bearing, pilot, slave and master while I am in there.

I have a motor with 130k on it, it had a bunch of fresh gaskets when it had about 90k on it. I am gonna attach it to the 91 trans that I was running in the 86 900. It worked fine, and should be good for a few thousand miles of use. Not getting carried away with this motor build, its just a daily driver.

Really like the new Federal tires that I put on the orange rims. They are quite grippy.

Gonna install some fog lights tonight after the sun goes down. I gathered enough pieces here and there to put together a nice set of lights. I bought new lenses from eEuroparts.com for them. I just need to get the broken bolt extracted from the bumper before I can attach them and complete the project.

I have boxes full of car stereo stuff in storage, so I plan to use some of this to install a basic system. I have Pioneer 4x10s in the rear now, and plan to add a set of 6x9s in the rear deck. I have Rockford Fosgates for in the front (stock size). I will wire it up to an Orion 430 Cobalt amp. I also have a Pioneer amp that I will use to run a Subwoofer box in the trunk. I have a Punch crossover to manage the signal. I have a Sony head unit that should pop into the dash easily considering I already have a custom harness that plugs right into the factory wiring. I think I may have to purchase some RCA cables since mine are old and abused. I will probably need some new installation hardware, but for the most part should be a minimal expense. I do have to find a subwoofer though, but used Subs are a dime a dozen at the Cash Converters store nearby.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:23 am

Does anyone have a carpeted dash mat for a 900 that is in good shape?

I might like one for this project. If you have one you would be willing to part with, let me know.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:42 pm

I saw this and thought of you immediately.

:lol:

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:53 pm

that thing is awesome...

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:20 am

After letting the car sit for several months this spring, I got motivated to dust it off, and get it running and inspected again. Fixed up some of the rust, and put new tires on it, and got it inspected for another year of use. Two days later the throwout bearing took a shit. It has been sitting since then. With a failing gearbox, non functioning power steering, broken timing chain guide, blown turbo, and the TO bearing, I had to shelf the project again, and turn my attention to the race car.

Last weekend I began the task of putting together a replacement powertrain for it. I figured to just build an entire power unit in the shop. That way I can just yank out the boat anchor that is in it, set it aside, and drop in a complete unit,... quick and dirty. While it's out I plan to swap in a functioning power steering pump, and install a known good AC compressor and hoses. The trans is a CRS rebuild that was installed by the dealer. I bought the parts car from the owner who had the work done. It was a 3500.00 job to fix the bad trans, and the owners son totaled the car about 5,000 miles later. I bought the car for 400.00 and drove it home. The bottom end is an 88t with 130k on it. I am using that 85 head that I had all the work done to years ago. I was able to mate the head to the block, install the intake, and some of the accessories. Hope to complete it this coming weekend, and do the swap the following weekend.

She will live again.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:11 am

The replacement powertrain is in the car, mounts are tight, suspension is back together, shift linkage hooked up, speedo cable in place, and CVs are done. A good used PS pump was installed and I plumbed that as well. Gradually trying to complete the install over the next few weeks.

I couldn't torque the head and cam caps when the motor was on the furniture dolly, so I will do that now that it is in the car. A new VC seal is going in as well.

I will have to swap out the oil filter housing to the style that matches the hoses in the car. No big deal.

Installing a T5 flywheel and sensor. Going to get one with both clutch bolt patterns, but no lightening. I plan to initially run the car on LH, and do the wire harness later.

I am just going to bite the bullet and buy a new slave cyl this time. I am ordering a complete clutch kit too.

Progress has been slowed a bit because I am preparing to move my printing business, and my garage. Should be a step up as my sq ft of the garage will more than double. You don't realize how much stuff you have until you actually have to pack it in a truck and take it somewhere else.

RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby RadioFlyer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:55 pm

More pics!

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:13 pm

SwedeSport wrote:but no lightening

Maybe I've gotten soft driving a T7 car with a 100lb flywheel and the hanging revs between shifts but I agree with keeping the stock size if its just a daily driver. In my experience the lightened flywheel revs much smoother and the clutch feel is nice (maybe placebo effect) but it is almost too light to drive in traffic often. I drove a friends WRX with an ultra light flywheel and heavy duty clutch and it was terrible, its nowhere near that, but its definitely different than driving with a stock clutch with LH. Who knows, maybe I just got used to driving with the crappy LH system and Trionic is that much smoother but it is a noticeable difference :dunno:

On the other hand, because race car...

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”