'71 Shell Prep updates

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Luke
Site Admin

Re: '71 Shell Prep updates

Postby Luke » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:45 am

Doh!

I think you'd actually be a lot worse off with an H motor, the waterpump casting would be right smack against the firewall right where your masters want to be....

Any thought about returning the pedal assembly and getting a reverse swing type like I used in the rally car.... that frees up a lot of space in the engine bay and occupies pretty much useless spacer under the dash...

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:35 am

I dunno I think it might be a bitch with the stock steering column there, plumbing would be a bit harder, I'd have to remote mount the reservoirs and I'd still have to fab up a box mount....I was thinking of cutting 2.5 inches of the shelf and the sheet metal around the mounting plate and then flipping the whole thing upside down and making sides to complete the box.... not sure if that makes sense to anybody but me, but I don't think it will be too bad.

BTW Luke, do you have an answer to my banjo question? I don't see how an NTP bolt would seal well with a banjo, but I suppose now the banjo is making the seal... how did you put banjo fittings onto your handbrake MC in the new car?

P.P.S. my new proportioning valve just was delivered. It's even sweeter than I thought. Not only does it have the built in brake light switch but it has a built in "T" for the front calipers if you want...not as handy for in-car mounting , but saves some hardware that you'd have to buy.
Attachments
IMG_0149.JPG

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:51 pm

NPT are tapered threads where as banjo bolts are straight threads. However the nominal OD on a 1/8 NPT is 0.405" on a pipe so you miiiight be able to get a 10mm (.397") banjo fitting over it (maybe with some adjustment, ie opening the hole a little). Then you'd need to find or make a 1/8NPT bolt long enough to fit though the banjo fitting and then make the bolt a banjo style bolt (drill out center, under cut threads where the banjo fitting rests around it, and bore at least one hole through the side of the bolt). Sealing would be done as with a normal banjo fitting - two crush washers. It would likely be a PITA.

You might also consider a short 90° 1/8NPT fitting permanently mounted to the end of the master cylinder and then just take your lines off of that..
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:25 pm

I'm pretty sure all the MC's are 1/8NPT and it doesn't look like he has any adapters or anything... I'm just not sure where to get them or what the correct fitting is...
Attachments
assembly 049.jpg
assembly 049.jpg (27.46 KiB) Viewed 3089 times

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:44 pm

1/8 NPT banjo bolt? Doesn't make sense to me. Take the bolt out, bring it to the hardware store and find a nut that fits. Then you'll know. Or get a thread gauge and some calipers...

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:23 pm

Geoff wrote:1/8 NPT banjo bolt? Doesn't make sense to me. Take the bolt out, bring it to the hardware store and find a nut that fits. Then you'll know. Or get a thread gauge and some calipers...

That's Luke's car. I've seen some information about NPT banjos for bikes and such.. just not sure.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:27 pm

All the masters I have used, tilton, AP and wilwood are threaded with straight thread, usually 3/8-24 and 7/16-20 or 24 on inlet.

Heres a few more recent pics of the pedal setup and the handbrake setup.
Attachments
PrepforMaine 032.jpg
PrepforMaine 010.jpg

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:02 pm

Ahh, now that makes sense. I saw NPT but it must just be on the calipers not MCs. It didn't make sense to me either, that's why I asked!

SaabsBreakDown
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:55 pm

luke, do you just have your reservoirs mounted remotely with a hose going through the firewall to the cylinder?

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:05 am

SaabsBreakDown wrote:luke, do you just have your reservoirs mounted remotely with a hose going through the firewall to the cylinder?

Yep

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:16 pm

Worked on the alternator mount today.
IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

I actually went off the S&R blueprint for the bracket width and then realized it was not the same as the 99/900 alternator....so had to cut-off and re-weld the tab, but it is all set now. It makes getting the mount nut a little harder to get to, but not too bad. Also, I'm going to have to move my clutch master a little as well :(

Powder coat then some more pics!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:24 am

Looks good! Now bore a straight hole with a hand drill :P

Maybe you can attach the motor mount to the bracket before you drop the engine in and then just tighten the lower nut to the body.

What did you weld it with?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:23 pm

That was the first edition. The second I moved the tabs to accommodate a 900 alternator. I actually clamped the two tabs and drilled them together then welded it on to the bar. Came out pretty good. I spent some time on the upper bracket which turns out to be a bitch since it is difficult to bend and slot 1/4" strapping with a powerdrill and a benchvise. I was trying to adapt the 900 alternator arm with the tensioner built in but it didn't work to well. I might be able to make it work with another attempt.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:21 pm

You'll know how everything is lined up when you get it running. My current setup is a C900 B engine alternator mount with the bushings cut off and tabs drilled and welded over. The belt gets chewed up after maybe 500 to 1000 miles. Are you going to run two belts?

I used a 900 tensioner arm when I had my alternator mounted that way but I don't remember how I did it (probably cut the bushing off then drilled a hole in the end of the arm and bolted to a timing cover bolt)

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Oh I took some pics yesterday. Yeah I think I can run both pulleys on the alternator. I didn't put the main pulley on the engine when I put it in the first time ,so I wasn't able to mock it up with a belt or a straight edge , but it looked pretty good. I pulled the motor to modify the firewall yesterday and reinstalled the engine with a pulley (I have no where else to put it at the moment), so I'll check it out.
IMG_0159.JPG

Going back in time...
IMG_0160.JPG

Planning....
IMG_0161.JPG

Doh! bad wheel bearing I think...
IMG_0162.JPG

Oh yeah, I welded it with my Miller at full power/half wire speed. The bracket is 3/16"

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”