'71 Shell Prep updates

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: '71 Shell Prep updates

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:03 am

you could also put a slightly thinner front mount in...perhaps a delrin puck.
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:02 pm

What a difference two cylinders make :thumbsup:

I ended up tearing down and rebuilding two carburetors as the replacement one I got didn't have the same # and placement of progression holes (even though it is supposed to be the same type) BUT... all back together and it runs like a champ.... and the hood closes.

It still requires some tuning in the progression area, but everything else seems pretty solid. Has some solid torque ~ 3k and pulls like a mofo.
:yay:

Mezzanine
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby Mezzanine » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:10 pm

Awesome Jordan, glad to hear it. How about a quick video of it running? I would love to hear that thing run.

Congrats! :thumbsup: :yay:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:20 pm

I can try to take a video next time I go out. It's just hard with one person and no power steering. If its any indication, I took my girlfriend out in it around the block and she was screaming the whole time. I probably topped out at 50mph. :lol:

Eventually I'll put up a camera mount or something for it....maybe some zip ties on my iphone for now.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:49 pm

Awesome job Jordan!

I wouldn't worry about oiling with the engine tilted back a tiny bit. If that was a problem there would be a note in the owner's manual, "Note, this vehicle not intended to drive up hills."
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:50 pm

Ill bet 50 mph feels like your going pretty damn fast in that thing. It lacks the comfort and refinment that girlfriends usually expect. I took my ex for a ride in my 86 8v, and she swore she would never get in it again. I went a tad over 50, er,... umm,.... sideways. I had to let her drive it to get her back in it. I tried to tell her it just feels like its going faster than it really is. Im sure it feels good to have it running this good.

Saw a 70 99 in a junkyard today. Neat car but would be a ton of work to bring back. It was the same color as yours. My 99 has been pulled out of the corner all week while I rearrange my shop a bit. Thought I would score some doors off the 70 but they were pretty far gone. It didnt have the rust under the battery nearly as bad as mine though.

The oil all sloshes around when the car is in motion anyway, so why would a few degrees matter?
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:59 am

Bringing back this thread, I figured I'd post some of updates to the car. I guess I consider "phase one" pretty complete where I have a running/driving car.

Now I guess it's time for the fun part as I get to use the thing and tune to my driving preferences and any other issues that arise.

On the horizon is a to put a main hoop and rear bulkhead. As for right now I'm working on tuning the carb setup and the chassis. I needed some new tires for my street car, so I ordered some wider tires for the race car and will use the current wheels on my street car. I love the look of the black shelbys, but they are a little to narrow for any sort of class I'd be bumped into for all the other mods I have.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:14 am

A little work happened yesterday while the sun came out. As long as it doesn't downpour this Saturday, I'm going to do the next event then. Car isn't so waterproof.

I replaced the valve cover gasket. I noticed the old one had slipped a little in a few places so I'm sure that didn't help the leaking. I used a combination method of RTV adhesive to the cover and CV grease on the gasket...which is said to work well on cork and can be removed without too much of a hassle.

I also recut the the rear springs that were in the car another half coil each as well as flatten the top coil by cutting it a little so it sits a little flatter on the mount. I also noticed that the "right" and "left" springs were switched... so I put the stiffer spring on the drivers side. After a quick drive the car felt soooo much better. I don't know if it was just in my head, but removing the rake balanced the car so much...even though I increased the stiffness of the rear.

On the tire front, it looks like there is a national backorder of the Kumho XS for 6-8 weeks...so I am looking to get the slightly more expensive Bridgestone RE-11... but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

To combat the fuel starvation issue, I sleeved the tip of the pickup straw with plastic fuel line and lengthened it just a bit as well as the hose connection to make a more positive seal. If this doesn't work, then the tank is going to need to be re-drilled and I'll have to put a custom pickup in there. Also, a couple of jet changes and the car is a little less stinky as before. I'm still getting a little sputter around the 3k rpm mark even though the AFR looks good and ignition timing doesn't seem to make a difference...

Finally hooked up the gauge pack and the oil pressure looks good at around 60psi at idle. SAAB mudflaps from a 900 are also installed. A trans fluid flush and a diff cover reseal and I should be ready for event #2. This time I'm bringing ear plugs for the trip.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:10 pm

These should be here Friday.

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11

I got them from tirebuyer.com... the price was better than most places AND they offered free shipping (although there was sales tax), so check them out if you are looking for some new shoes. Now I can decommission the current wheels/tires to my daily driver and save my snows for next season.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:19 pm

Is that a street/race type tire?

I got the Kumho XS that you originally intended to run.

Let me know how you like these.

Mine seemed like it took a few events for them to really get grippy.

What did you end up paying?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:29 pm

SwedeSport wrote:Is that a street/race type tire?

I got the Kumho XS that you originally intended to run.

Let me know how you like these.

Mine seemed like it took a few events for them to really get grippy.

What did you end up paying?

Yeah it is a top ranked Autocross/Time trial tire. A little heavier than the Kumho and a little more expensive... but the compound is supposed to be fantastic. Kumho's actually went up in price recently and every place I looked they are on backorder. These set me back about $20 more a tire than the XS, which I can live with.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:47 pm

I think I paid 105 each mounted and balanced. Keep us posted on your driving impressions.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:45 am

Tires arrived yesterday afternoon and had them mounted last night. I haven't mounted the wheels up yet. I'll probably do that this morning to check for clearance problems and scrub them in on the way to the event... pictures to follow :-D

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:58 am

:yay: They fit, no rubbing, standard saab lugs worked out ok, plenty clearance....
IMG_0375.JPG

:ranting:
IMG_0374.JPG

Made it about 8 miles before the car started pulling.

Tire went all trapazoidal on me.
IMG_0373.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG

IMG_0371.JPG

Sooo...put a spare on, but didn't make it to the event...
:thumbsdown:

I'll have to wait until Monday to call Bridgestone. Kind of funny that the first "big name" brand of tires I buy is defective...never had a problem with the Koreans!

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:40 am

Were they really tough to get the bead to seat? My Kumhos were that way. The sidewalls were pretty stiff and the tire machine struggled with them. Looks like the sidewall laminations started seperating? I'm sorry if my autocross luck somehow transferred to you. At least you got one in this season though.

I would get on the phone, and raise a stink.

Is the rim damage from the tire spasm?

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”