'71 Shell Prep updates

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Luke
Site Admin

Re: '71 Shell Prep updates

Postby Luke » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:57 pm

A few pics from the weekend:

Jordans driveway is a busy place, but if you need a part you only need to walk ten feet to find a car to take it off of.
jordans 001.jpg

How tasty does that look!
jordans 002.jpg

It felt like a night-time rally service once the sun went down, with a man on each wheel, except we have better lighting at a rally service :) buy some damn lights Jordan!
jordans 006.jpg

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:44 pm

You guys act like Jordan never finishes projects?
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:58 pm

Luke wrote:A few pics from the weekend:
Jordans driveway is a busy place, but if you need a part you only need to walk ten feet to find a car to take it off of.

So, how many parts did you take off of Leanne's car? :huh:

SwedeSport wrote:You guys act like Jordan never finishes projects?

I can't tell if you're being tremendously sarcastic, or you're just clueless. :lol: :lol:
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:08 pm

I have not known Jordan as long as some of you guys, but I am definitely not THAT clueless.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:49 pm

Car is looking good....its usually at this point where you start doing stupid things.....you meaning people in general.....like test driving the car without a hood or working lights or seatbelts or brakes etc. :yay:
I am the 73%

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:22 pm

SwedeSport wrote:I have not known Jordan as long as some of you guys, but I am definitely not THAT clueless.

It's ok, we forgive you.
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:30 pm

max wrote:
Luke wrote:A few pics from the weekend:

So, how many parts did you take off of Leanne's car? :huh:
:lol:

Leannes car was unscathed but I did find a nice black hood and a 99 trunk latch this weekend at 3P's ( pagano's pick n' pull)

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:58 pm

Crazyswede wrote:Car is looking good....its usually at this point where you start doing stupid things.....you meaning people in general.....like test driving the car without a hood or working lights or seatbelts or brakes etc. :yay:

No hood...check
No brake lights...check
No seatbelts...check

It's ok, we forgive you.

For the record , I am just finishing these projects because they take (lots) of time. I just tend to over estimate my ability to get stuff done as quickly as I'd like. I abandon the first 99 because frankly it was beyond my skill level to repair. I've learned valuable lessons over the years and frankly, gotten much better at turning wrenches. It's easy to cast judgement when you've never under taken such an endeavor yourself. The project still won't be finished for a while, but there is definitely a fine line between when it is a "project in progress" or a "sitting basket-case".

Thank you everyone else for the words of encouragement, it really does help!

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:37 pm

When are any of us ever really "finished" anyway?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Back on track...

I finished putting together my wide-band 02 controller. Had to build case for the controller and display along with the cables. It seems to be working ok, but I have to get it into the car and calibrate it.

It does some pretty cool stuff like data-logging and you can add an EGR probe as well. It should be helpful to see where the carb adjustments have landed me.

IMG_0287.JPG

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Got the WB hooked up and in the car and took some initial readings. The idle looks pretty good @~14:1 AFR, but I'm leaning out off idle and it likes to misfire....time to read up! :P

I'm also going to run through the process of checking the timing advance. Right now it is set at 16 degrees BTDC at idle, thinking that may be too high with the mech advance.

Could someone verify my thinking on this...

Looking at the distributer advance chart in the Factory manual, the distributer will mechanically advance a max of ~24º (crankshaft) @ 2300rpm... if I want the max total advance to be ~33º, based on Nate Tennis's recommendations, I'd have to set the base to 9. At 1000rpm (current idle) , the mech. advance has already moved the timing +6º so it car would indicate a ~15º. Stock setting is 14º @850 - 900rpm, which already has +5º mech. advance. I removed the vac advance module, but haven't done anything else. It's the distributer from the '76 EMS and I'm not sure if they were changed at all. It looks like maybe what I should do is set the engine to 2500rpm and see where the timing ends up, by that point it should max out the advance. Just thinking out loud.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:59 am

Looks like the centrifugal advance isn't working quite right. I set the idle to 2500rpm and set the timing to 32 , then back it down to 900rpms and the timing was still at 25º BTDC. I don't really want to take it apart, but maybe its just sticky.

Rallyho
Nickname: El Blanco

Postby Rallyho » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:12 am

Jordan, if it's 'effed up, I do have a distrib out of a 78 EMS that I'd sell ya.

Let me know before the car goes to the crusher.

Mike
Rallyho

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:46 am

The problem is I don't really know what I'm looking at. If I take the cap off I see one plate with a ball bearing captured in a cup looking thing and the post where the vac advance arm would attach...I sprayed some WD-40 in there and the top plate moves back and forth ok, but it just stays where ever you put it, should I make some sort of arm to lock it in? Underneath that, there is another plate, but it doesn't seem to move at all. I'm not sure if it is supposed to or not.

edit: I put the vac capsule back on and reclocked it so it would fit with the manifold. It seems to be working a little better now. Doesn't advance as much as it says in the book, but maybe the distributor is different than for the manual I have, or there is just more resistance due to age. Right now it sits about 15º @ 1000rpm and advances to 25º @ 3000rpm. Its good enough I think.

Main jets still seem to be too small, but I don't have time to dick around with it anymore until the weekend.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:08 am

A little progress over the weekend. I ended up swapping the chokes for 36s to correct some of the over-lean mixture without changing the jets. It actually did seem to help a little , but progression/idle circuit still isn't right. I used the last warm painting day to re-seal and paint the underside of the hood which I should have just had done before.

Registration check was just cashed by the DMV which is a good sign...

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”