'75 99 Rally Car Restoration

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: '75 99 Rally Car Restoration

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:28 am

Have you played with the car enough to determine the extent of the damage from BRS?
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:43 am

SwedeSport wrote:Have you played with the car enough to determine the extent of the damage from BRS?

Blown head gasket, slightly warped head.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:47 am

You and I need to get together so you can look thru the box of gaskets I have.

Can the warpage be milled out?

rsp57
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby rsp57 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:20 am

Luke, remember to get the head hardness tested before machining. ( they go soft) you can use soft heads but the life before another gasket failure is somewhat short unless you re-tension periodically. But i'm sure your all over this!

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:32 am

rsp57 wrote:Luke, remember to get the head hardness tested before machining. ( they go soft) you can use soft heads but the life before another gasket failure is somewhat short unless you re-tension periodically. But i'm sure your all over this!

I think we determined the head has already had .060 in milled off of it and we were trying to determine how much further it could go. I know there is a min spec but do not remember what that # is or the exact place to measure it.
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:25 pm

As I remember there is a half circle cut into the bottom of the head at the edge, about 1" diameter. I think the circle is cut to the max recommended depth for surfacing. If you see no circle then you shouldn't go deeper. I also think the spec is in the factory manual.

I wonder what SAAB used to determine max resurfacing depth: Head integrity (prone to future warping), cam going out of timing, increase in compression ratio, or something else (?)
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:29 pm

Geoff wrote:As I remember there is a half circle cut into the bottom of the head at the edge, about 1" diameter. I think the circle is cut to the max recommended depth for surfacing. If you see no circle then you shouldn't go deeper. I also think the spec is in the factory manual.

I wonder what SAAB used to determine max resurfacing depth: Head integrity (prone to future warping), cam going out of timing, increase in compression ratio, or something else (?)

Ahh...in that case Luke mentioned there was no sign of that circle anymore. Maybe we should use this head as a test..do a few mill passes at a given removal rate until something bad is exposed...this would give an idea on the thickness of the head and distance to cooling passages etc.
I am the 73%

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:30 pm

On the first motor build in my 86 8v car, I used a bottom end from an 87 900s. I took an 8v H head, and had it shaved down by .075. I was talking to the guys at Lititz Auto at the time. They had an 8v head shaved .090 and stuck on top of a 2.1 block. I figured I would go a little less in an effort to be conservative.

It ran well, and I never had a problem with the head. When the motor failed it was due to worn connecting rod bearings. It could probably have been rebuilt, but I opted to use the 2.1 block for the new powerplant.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”