White 74 LE

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Sam
Nickname: sambone
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

White 74 LE

Postby Sam » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:35 pm

Well, I finally got it! Apart from a few problem areas it is a solid shell. The worst of the rust issues are in the trunk where water accumulated and rotted from the inside out. There is a good sized hole back there. The trunk itself contained a myriad of 99 parts including all of the original EMS badges, as well as some weird 80's lamps, tapes, and tools galore. We pressure washed it and got all the algae off of the engine and the outside - it is looking better already. Underneath all of the crud there is indeed a rebuilt ericsson block painted in red as well as a beautiful new transmission.

It looks like the car may have been barn red originally but has been repainted inside and out so it's really hard to say just what the story is. It also looks to have been professionally undercoated after the white paint was applied.

Photos to come soon.
Last edited by Sam on Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There is no such thing as too low or too stiff.

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Re: White 74 EMS

Postby max » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:23 pm

Next order of business: tell your girlfriend she's never going to see you again.
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:17 pm

max wrote:Next order of business: tell your girlfriend she's never going to see you again.

And that she will be paying for meals and general living expenses from now on because you spent all your dough on some sweet new parts/paint/welder/misc shop supplies/tires/gasoline/trailer/garage/tool box

Its a slippery slope sam, be careful!

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:40 pm

Luke wrote:
max wrote:Next order of business: tell your girlfriend she's never going to see you again.

And that she will be paying for meals and general living expenses from now on because you spent all your dough on some sweet new parts/paint/welder/misc shop supplies/tires/gasoline/trailer/garage/tool box

Look at Luke....a garage full of cool rally cars and he still lives at home. :lol:
I am the 73%

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:55 pm

Crazyswede wrote:
Luke wrote:

Look at Luke....a garage full of cool rally cars and he still lives at home. :lol:

Incorrect, that may be the address where bills are sent, but anyone that knows me knows that I actually live about 8 miles away at the rally lab.

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:54 pm

Crazyswede wrote:
Luke wrote:

Hey you could be like Luke, live at home, and have lots of cool shit in the garage/barn. Or be like me, with a big ass mortgage payment and NO cool shit in my garage at all. Take your pick. :lol:
-Max

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:32 pm

max wrote:Hey you could be like Luke, live at home, and have lots of cool shit in the garage/barn. Or be like me, with a big ass mortgage payment and NO cool shit in my garage at all. Take your pick. :lol:

EXTRA, EXTRA! Max Admits, "Mini Not Cool"!
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:02 am

Geoff wrote:
max wrote:Hey you could be like Luke, live at home, and have lots of cool shit in the garage/barn. Or be like me, with a big ass mortgage payment and NO cool shit in my garage at all. Take your pick. :lol:

EXTRA, EXTRA! Max Admits, "Mini Not Cool"!

No the mini isn't cool... the mini is SUPER -DUPER MEGA ULTRA AWESOME!

so there.
-Max

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:25 am

Crazyswede wrote:

Don't be jealousy.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:49 am

I am the 73%

Sam
Nickname: sambone
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Sam » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:10 pm

Still no pics, but i pulled the carpets out. They were all soaking wet because so much water got in when we pressure washed it. Clearly this aggrivated an already bad mold situation. Despite the fact that i had left the doors open in order for it to dry, there was about a half inch of water sitting in the floor pan.

I didn't think the smell was that bad when we first picked the car up, but when i began to pull out thhe soggy carpets and sound deadening material I started to dry heave. I began a rotation of pulling out a piece of carpet, then dry heaving in the bushes outside. As much as i would have liked to preserve the original carpets, good riddance! They had gone septic.

So my next question is, how do i get this height adjustable driver seat out? there are no screws on the rails to remove.
There is no such thing as too low or too stiff.

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:18 pm

Sawzall.
-Max

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:02 pm

height adjustable drivers seat....does it have two retractable pins in the front? I think most of the 99's had small spring loaded pins that slid in and out 90 degrees to the track and were located near the forward tilt control on the seat. If you pull both pins back the front of the seat will lift up and then you just have to unhook the back of the seat from the spring loaded perch.
I am the 73%

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:09 pm

there is a product called "digester" that is sold at professional janitorial supply houses. put that in a spray bottle and dillute with about 25% water and spray on the moldy areas. you may be able to save some of the interior with this stuff. Youll still want to wash the fabric real well to get soil off but this stuff will kill all mold activity.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:25 pm

You could pull all the carpet out and go to a 24 hour laundromat late at night and throw in one of the biggest side load washers with a mixture of detergent and color safe bleach. You might want to test this idea on a saab carpet you dont care about.....just it case it gets destroyed. Then dry it in the big industrial drier.
I am the 73%

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”