White 74 LE

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Luke
Site Admin

Re: White 74 EMS

Postby Luke » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:43 pm

Crazyswede wrote:You could pull all the carpet out and go to a 24 hour laundromat late at night and throw in one of the biggest side load washers with a mixture of detergent and color safe bleach. You might want to test this idea on a saab carpet you dont care about.....just it case it gets destroyed. Then dry it in the big industrial drier.

Haha I like that idea!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:38 pm

White vinegar is actually really good for killing mold, and cheap too. It penetrates deep unlike bleach. I've rescued some pretty rank loads of laundry that were forgotten in the washer with white vinegar.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Sam
Nickname: sambone
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Sam » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:14 am

There is no such thing as too low or too stiff.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:29 am

I've rescued some pretty rank loads of laundry that were forgotten in the washer with white vinegar

For when your carpets have that,.... not so fresh feeling!

I hope you and your boys have plenty of that malted beverage on hand for all the late nights its gonna take to get that car spruced up. So what is is gonna be, race car, restoration?????
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:22 pm

Thats a nice garage space! So whats your basic plan, dig in hardcore or just fix it up a little and get it runnung first.

Sam

Postby Sam » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:58 pm

Luke, I am really on the fence with it. The wiring harness is pretty seriously butchered, and I actually found a butchered DJet ECU (missing connector) in the trunk. I believe the guy who sold it to me when he says that the motor has 0 miles on it but some idiot left the distributor disconnected where it bolts to the block... It was just kind of chilling there in the hole but not bolted down. I have yet to see if it will turn over. My most recent thought has been to just take a complete wiring harness and engine from a 900 turbo. Is it possible to use a B-block transmission on a B202, or even an H block?

With all of the welding that has to be done, pushing back the firewall is just another drop in the bucket.

As far as looks, it is going back to its original color (see below)

Below is the look i'm going for.

The Josh
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Asshole
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby The Josh » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:46 pm

nice setup sam! To whom do the M3 and MR2 belong too? Luke, we need a lift, pronto
:thumbsup:
Testing the Fine line between ghetto and resourceful

Sam

Postby Sam » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:03 am

Thanks Josh. The house/M3/MR2 belong to my friend Mark. He's in the middle of a MR2 motor swap at the moment as the stock block finally gave up the ghost after years of GT28 abuse.

I have some 99 parts questions. The first is that I noticed when under the lift that both of my rear control arms are bent at the center which allowed corrosion to get in and take its toll. Can I put the rear control arms from a 900 back there?

Also the passenger door bottom is pretty rusted. None of it is really visible with the door shut and its probably repairable... but I seem to recall one of you guys telling me that you can put 900 doors on a 99. Is that true or am I making things up?

Luke - You wouldn't happen to have a D-Jet wiring harness laying around would you?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:45 am

I think in '74 they changed the unibody to be the same used in later 99s and 900s which you can swap the rear axle/suspension set up from any 900. I believe track is slightly wider, but it doesn't really cause any issues. 900 Shocks are needed along with the 900 wheels as the hub on early 99 wheels are a little narrower (it's possible for them to be opened up as the bolt pattern is identical).

900 doors from a 3-door will fit your 99.

Do a search in the 99 section on saabnet, most of the basic stuff has been answered there.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:31 pm

I have an early 99 axle from a 71 and an axle from a 78 99 here. I was gonna use it on my 99 project but swapped in a 900 rear assembly. I have them sitting here for a trailer project or something. Id probably part with them. Ill see if I can snap a pic this weekend.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Sam

Car-Nage

Postby Sam » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:32 pm

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:21 am

Ok...some scary photos you've got there but there is hope. I see you have a DJet manifold. I started setting one of my 99's up to run LH injection from a 900 using the D jet manifold. You need to drill and tap a hole for the LH temp sensor but the later injectors will go right into that manifold. You might just consider swapping in the entire wiring harness from a defunct 900.
I am the 73%

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:41 am

That reminds of a 74 99 that I had... Same exact color that had been repainted white, except that mine was just a tad more rusty :)

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:54 am

With all the excess paint and spot rust I would really strongly consider taking the whole car to a shop that does abrasive blasting and just having the entire shell blasted, it will cost a fair amount of money but it will save such a huge amount of time that it would be worth it.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:09 am

Luke wrote:With all the excess paint and spot rust I would really strongly consider taking the whole car to a shop that does abrasive blasting and just having the entire shell blasted, it will cost a fair amount of money but it will save such a huge amount of time that it would be worth it.

yup. It's going to cost a bunch anyway so you might as well start out right.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”