White 74 LE

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
happyandy
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: White 74 EMS

Postby happyandy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:35 pm

Sam wrote:Someone close to my shop is selling an 88 Turbo for $200 negotiable. Does anyone want the shell when i'm done with it?

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/pts/1489596307.html

what do you think you will have left over? there are a few things that I could use, but not the whole shell if its as rusty as the ad implies

Sam
Nickname: sambone
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Sam » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:39 am

Well, I picked up that 900 turbo parts car for $200 + $50 for a cheap sears battery and drove it 25 miles home. Because I can't get compression in the 74 B motor, I plan to do a complete swap. I will give the d-jet stuff and engine away for free to anyone willing to pick it up. I will get into parting the 900 soon and let you guys know what I have.

The engine and transmission are great in the 88 parts car. At first it would not hold idle, but after plugging up some vacuum leaks with zipties it could hold idle fine. It has a weird acceleration problem. You start to accelerate, the rpms rise to around 3500 and all of a sudden the tach slams down to 1500 and the whole car jerks all over the place. I'm guessing that its an air mass sensor but not sure.

I was able to get it home gingerly, mostly on the highway where I had no issues - this was actually the very first time I had ever driven a c900. What a car :rolleyes:
There is no such thing as too low or too stiff.

Sam

Postby Sam » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:13 pm

Finally: progress!

The C900, affectionately known as 'silversaab' will be meeting its rusty end this weekend.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Who's the Marine!? Is that Rambo!?

The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Sam

Weird Spoiler

Postby Sam » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:38 pm

I was finally able to find another spoiler like the one on the 99. Some research had told me that its from a 900 notch.

I saw this one pop up on ebay for a pretty steep price.
http://bit.ly/dwjoHS

For that price i'm going to try to salvage the one I have. Anything that pops up on ebay only about once a year is worth trying to save at the very least. The thing looks completely badass on the 99.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Re: White 74 LE

Postby Geoff » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:58 am

I remember the 900 spoiler being a little wider and would overhang on the 99. A mechanic near where I used to live had one on his 99 and he had cut it down to length. Yours doesn't look cut. I think they made that style spoiler for 99s as well, which would make yours real rare. The 900 spoiler isn't so rare, or at least it wasn't ~10 years ago when Mongo wanted one and I went to the junkyard and had to choose which one to take for him.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:44 am

IIRC there was more than one style that could be had for the 900 4 door/ notchback cars. The smaller lip type spoiler was the better choice, the other one was big and bulky and kinda ugly IMHO.

Im doing a 3 inch tall aluminum lip spoiler (ala NASCAR) on my notchback. I may make it a 2 piece unit, with the main lip in aluminum (more like a flange) and make interchangeable clear lexan spoilers in varying sizes.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

paulh

Postby paulh » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:46 am

SwedeSport wrote:IIRC there was more than one style that could be had for the 900 4 door/ notchback cars. The smaller lip type spoiler was the better choice, the other one was big and bulky and kinda ugly IMHO.

Yeah theres actually at least 4 different kinds of spoiler that they made for the 2/4 door 900's, the one on ebay is one of the most common ones I think, that guy is smoking crack if he thinks he can get that much for that one.

Paul

Sam

Postby Sam » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:03 pm

I think mine has the very slight overhang that you're talking about. It kinda just continues off the edge of the trunk for a few mm, but as long as the trunk is closed it looks great. I see a 4 door notchback c900 on the road about once every 3 months nowadays. I'm sure there were a lot more 10 years ago.

I'm going to try cutting the firewall this weekend and drop the B202 in there so that I can begin to mock everything up. I'll leave the hole in the firewall while I start mocking things up. Everything is going to have to come out again once its time for paint.

Any suggestions on what tools to use? I'm have a 4 1/2 AC angle grinder and I could borrow a small 2" straight pneumatic. What did you guys end up using?

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby matt » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:50 pm

Mark out your lines, take your time and keep Max away from the angle grinder/firewall.... :D
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:31 am

Angle grinders w/ thin cutting wheels can cut nice straight lines, body saws not so much, but they can get into places where the angle grinders can't. Also, sawzalls w/ a good metal blade make quick work of sheet metal but are a little tricky to control if you need a really straight line. Also get a good pair of aviation shears to do trimming on sheet metal

Sam

Postby Sam » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:29 pm

Ok guys, i'm having trouble getting up the guts to cut this thing apart. Its a combination of not having a very good welder and seeing all of these great 8v projects that you guys are working on.

Then I saw this: http://www.saabsunited.com/2010/07/anot ... ab-99.html

Apparently someone got a 16v in a 99 without cutting the firewall back at all. Since I don't have the resources to do something like this, i'm trying to find a middleground.

Now:
-Is it possible to go backwards and put an 8v Bee engine head on a b202 and adjust the compression to run a turbo?

-Could I use Bosch LH on this type of setup, or would I need something more configurable such as megasquirt or T5?

-Could I instead just turbocharge the B engine? My reluctance to use the Bee bottom end is mostly due to the lack of availability of certain parts such as the notorious water pump and sensors.

I also seem to have a newfound respect for the 99. A lot of things were ultimately better designed and more easy to work on with the 99. With the 900 they kept adding features until the car was literally filled with rubber hoses, rivets, and plastic thingies.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:05 pm

You can put a 16v turbo into a 99 without doing any firewall mods...the issue is that you have to remove the engine to change the belts :bawl:

I think it is possible to put a B head on an H motor...but its going to be a lot of work and really not worth it IMO...there was a guy who put a 16v head on a B motor and that was pretty cool...again a lot of work.

The 99's built in the 80's had 8v H motors in them and the firewall was not radically modified...you can also do the porta power/sledge hammer trick and just make room that way...more than one 99 has been fitted with a later engine this way...otherwise bribe Luke into modding your fire wall.
I am the 73%

Sam

Postby Sam » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:20 pm

It seems easy enough to pull the engine up and forward a bit on a crane once the axles have been popped out and just swap the belt that way. I also can't imagine that i'd need to change the belts for a long time. This car probably won't see more than one track day per year and not more than 1000 miles.

So can I actually fit a b202 in a '74, or is that only possible with an H block shell?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:42 pm

If your having that much trouble moving a section of firewall back an inch or two you're going to have a hard time with the rest of the 16v swap. There is still lots of small parts and things to fabricate and modify , it's not really a simple swap for the uninitiated.

I'd recommend just installing a stock b-motor (with or without turbo) and focus on the rest of the car....paint, interior, etc. Once you get that stuff established the way you want it (and that will take some time) then you can futz around with engine swaps or programmable EFI and what not. There is a guy up by me who had several b-motor turbo engines and would probably sell one fairly cheap.

Baby steps....

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”