86 900 Street / Track Project

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: 86 900 Street / Track Project

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:04 pm

Jordan wrote:Gary's da man!

No doubt about it.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:24 pm

Oh yeah, Garys diagnostic skills for old Saabs are second to none.

He helped me today with my motor Build, valve seals, volvo 240 springs, and a clean up. Should work good now! I should have this engine together fairly soon if people stop distracting me!
Less brake more gas!

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:38 am

DeLorean wrote:Oh yeah, Garys diagnostic skills for old Saabs are second to none.

He helped me today with my motor Build, valve seals, volvo 240 springs, and a clean up. Should work good now! I should have this engine together fairly soon if people stop distracting me!

Considering we are going to be running in the same class, I should ignore your request of no distractions.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:39 am

Well, one more Hillclimb event to complete this season (Fall Weatherly Hillclimb).

Nothing major to report in terms of breakage. I am pleased with how the car has held up in spite of being the most active and aggressive season I have had in my racing career. I ran 4 of the 8 events in the series this year. And for the most part, I would take the car home and park it until the next event. I should knock on some wood, but it has been trouble free.

I ran the Pagoda in the spring, then I went down to Polish Mountain, then Duryea, and Fall Weatherly this coming weekend. I am definitely outgunned in SMF now. But I continue to improve as a driver.

Pre season I had to pull the motor out of the car, to explore the clunky transmission that I thought was a problem. Turned out to be the upper spring perches rocking in the mounts making the noise. But I took advantage of the motor being out to swap out the 30/30 primaries for a #5 gearset. Much better range for the hill. I pulled the diff cover, and checked on the Quaife. Everything in there seems to be honky dory, so I resealed the 9Sport cover. I pulled the shift shaft seal, and replaced it as it was leaking pretty bad.

I am going to need tires for next season, as the Kumho Ecsta XS's will be shot.

The front brake pads are shot, and I may just break down and do the 87 vented brake mod to the car. Considering installing the Wilwoods as well.

Still have not completed the flyoff handbrake project. Probably a late winter project.

Planning to freshen up the look of the car. It needs a rear quarter, some rust repair, and fresh paint. Keeping the Dolomite Sand, but changing the two tone color.

I need to replace the heater control valve, and replace the rear crank seal. I have been hot wiring the car all summer, the ignition switch quit earlier this season.

I would also like to tackle some wiring for the accessory lights. Wire up the 4 Hella's, and Add some rear fog lights

And yep... this one is getting a CB radio as well.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:55 am

I spoke too soon...

On my last run on Saturday @ the Weatherly Hillclimb, I shattered a lifter, and took out the cam carrier. The cam got marked up a bit, but should be ok to reuse. I have to get ahold of Jack Lawrence to see if he has any more of the hardened lifters lying around. I found a replacement cam carrier, and I'm working on cleaning it up. Hopefully I can replicate the extra oiling passages that were drilled to squirt the valve springs.

Hoping to get the car back on the road in time for the RallyX @ Kempton on the 19th of October.

I have to get some carnage pics next time I get up to Gary's place. The car is sitting up there at the moment.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:36 pm

Carnage from Weatherly.

Sourced a cradle out of a spare head, found a lifter, deburred the cam, and threw it back together.
Attachments
20141011_160643.jpg

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:43 pm

Since Weatherly I have run a few autocrosses with the car, as well as several RallyX events. I managed to bring home the top spot at the last Kempton event. My first FTD and overall event win. Preparing for next weekends NEDIV series event at Kempton.

Cracked the header AGAIN... gotta patch that back together.

Blew the EMS Manual rack, so I had to pull that out of the car. Ordered a rebuilt power rack since parts for the EMS unit are unobtainium.

I plan to keep the manual rack, and try to rebuild it long term for another project later on.
Attachments
20150129_124911.jpg
20150129_124732.jpg
20150129_124649.jpg

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:55 am

It aint too pretty, but it's patched again.
Attachments
20150201_141351.jpg

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:39 pm

I got the car back together after the rack swap.

Everything seems to be functioning properly, and with Gary's help I managed to get the steering alignment setup properly. I did have trouble finding a belt for the PS pump, but after some research found that a 46.5 inch belt would work.

On the test drive, the speedometer abruptly quit working. I had this problem before with another car, and I swapped out the drive gear in the end of the speedo cable. Apparently when I put it back together, I didn't get the drive seated properly. It stripped the teeth off the original drive gear, but also broke the gear on the carrier of the diff.

I pulled the axle out, removed the inner driver, and opened the diff cover. Fortunately all the broken plastic bits came out, and I had the pieces to get it back together.
Attachments
20150204_205744.jpg

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”