86 900 Street / Track Project

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: 86 900 Street / Track Project

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:56 am

Working on getting the replacement hood ready to paint.

Could not find a nice hood emblem....
....delete!
Attachments
2013-04-04 12.53.29.jpg
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby RadioFlyer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:33 pm

I just use the stickers from ebay. Love those things.
I do happen to have a nice double vented badgeless hood from that '79. Yours may look even better at this point though with that killer delete job. Nice work!

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:11 pm

Got a rust free fender clip from Gary. It is a bit tweaked from a rollover, but I think I can get it back in shape. I cleaned ,derusted, and painted the rad support. Also got all the spot welds drilled out on the donor fender.

Tomorrow I plan to do a bit of hammer and dolly work on the sheetmetal, and burn on the panel.
Attachments
2013-04-05 21.35.49.jpg

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:08 pm

Got the fender burned on, hammered out, filled, sanded and primed.

I might make it to that autocross afterall.
Attachments
2013-04-07 16.04.57.jpg

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:46 pm

I am gonna have to degloss the freshly painted areas with a scotchbrite.
The fresh paint is too glossy.

Got the inner panels painted, spraying the outer fender tomorrow.
Attachments
2013-04-08 23.15.03.jpg

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:44 pm

Time to reassemble...

I got too excited the first time, and didn't allow enough time to flash between coats. I laid it on too thick and wet, and ended up having to sand out a few bad runs. So after removing the runs, I just scuffed the whole thing and shot 2 more coats on it.

After some dry time, I can spray the wheelwells and fender bottoms, (rocker area) with some bedliner.

Hood will get color on Sunday, and the other fender will get some attention too.
Attachments
2013-04-10 16.36.25.jpg

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:52 pm

RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby RadioFlyer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:37 am

Looks much better.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:48 am

Nice job. Let me know when you are ready to come fix my 99
I am the 73%

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:57 am

Crazyswede wrote:Nice job. Let me know when you are ready to come fix my 99

Which one? The 71 that is a twin to my 71? Savannah Beige is it?

I am no professional body man by any stretch of the imagination, but I do alright for a backyard hack. There are a few things that could have gone better. I had a hard time getting the fender to match up with the inner wheel house. The metal had stretched a bit, and I couldn't shrink it enough to line up properly. There is a dip in the fender just to the rear of the arch. It didn't become apparent until I sprayed the gloss on it. I didn't quite get the fender top tacked to the wheelhouse in the right spot. It is good enough for a race car.

I always get a lot of dust in the paint, probably because my shop is dusty, and I either paint with an open garage door, or just paint outside. I am sure I could minimize that if I were in a properly outfitted spray booth. I am also still trying to learn to control how wet my coats are. In the beginning I was spraying too dry. A big milestone was learning to double the reducer and make it thinner. The PDF tech sheets say to mix 8-1-2 because that is how it meets VOC limits. But the paint shop that I buy supplies from told me to ignore that and mix 8-1-4. It works much better now.

Every time I pick up the gun I get a better result than before, so I guess that is forward progress.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:07 pm

Yeah, the 71. mostly I need to get the rusty blasted away and fix a few small rusted spots. I have some spots in the floors but really the car is quite solid. It will need paint as well.

SwedeSport wrote:
Crazyswede wrote:Nice job. Let me know when you are ready to come fix my 99

Which one? The 71 that is a twin to my 71? Savannah Beige is it?

I am no professional body man by any stretch of the imagination, but I do alright for a backyard hack. There are a few things that could have gone better. I had a hard time getting the fender to match up with the inner wheel house. The metal had stretched a bit, and I couldn't shrink it enough to line up properly. There is a dip in the fender just to the rear of the arch. It didn't become apparent until I sprayed the gloss on it. I didn't quite get the fender top tacked to the wheelhouse in the right spot. It is good enough for a race car.

I always get a lot of dust in the paint, probably because my shop is dusty, and I either paint with an open garage door, or just paint outside. I am sure I could minimize that if I were in a properly outfitted spray booth. I am also still trying to learn to control how wet my coats are. In the beginning I was spraying too dry. A big milestone was learning to double the reducer and make it thinner. The PDF tech sheets say to mix 8-1-2 because that is how it meets VOC limits. But the paint shop that I buy supplies from told me to ignore that and mix 8-1-4. It works much better now.

Every time I pick up the gun I get a better result than before, so I guess that is forward progress.
I am the 73%

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:08 pm

Does anyone have a flatnose lower fascia fom an N/A car?

I am gonna change up the air dam. I plan to build one by attaching some stock car plastic to the back of the bumper. Similar to what I did with the notchback. The early turbo airdam survived the crash once, so I'm gonna use it on something I don't plan to race.

I am also going to come up with a RallyX bumper. Planning to use the one that I took off the car. It only has some cosmetic damage. It already has the mounts for the rally lights too. Plus it has a cool SWEDESPORT Euro plate on it .

Everything is back together in regards to the rad support replacement. I found a rather clean one at the Upull it. Cleaned it up, rust treated, and painted it with POR 15. I sprayed the top with satin black along with all tge fasteners and hardware. I plan to pull the headlight buckets back out and have them blasted too but I need to get it back together to autox it next weekend.

Sprayed the hood today, and again have a few runs to repair. I plan to sand that out Monday night and re shoot it. Painting the black two tone will have to wait. I cleaned up and freshened the paint on a grille and headlight bezels. Went with charcoal metallic again. Sprayed the screens behind the grille flat black this time. Color matched the bumper inserts to the grille.
Attachments
2013-04-14 13.47.47.jpg
2013-04-14 13.48.09.jpg

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:39 am

Got it back together this week, but I still have some details to work out. It is going to take some effort to get the hood to line up right. I did not touch the drivers side fender yet, and the fascia is not complete. Repaired and painted the grille, as well as the replacement headlight bezels. The hood still gets the satin black 2 tone painted on it , but will have to wait until I am happy with the alignment of the hood, otherwise the paint scheme will not line up.

There is a slight difference in color and a huge difference in texture between the repainted panels and the original paint. If I color sand the fresh stuff, and compound it, it will soften the difference a little. I do plan to repaint the rest of both sides, but at a later date. The drivers door has some rust in it, and I will probably just replace it with another one I have here.

There is an autocross this weekend, and I think the car is together enough to go run the event. I plan to work on the car a little Saturday to make sure it is ready to go.
Attachments
2013-04-19 10.22.01.jpg

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:42 pm

Not quite finished, but off to a good start.
Attachments
2013-04-20 18.03.26.jpg

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Sun May 12, 2013 5:22 pm

Picked up a flatnose fascia from an NA 8v car at the U pull it last week, along with some other goodies.

Cleaned up and painted the fascia last week, and painted the grille. I sprayed another set of bezels too, as well as made the H3 mod. I installed the fascia, and bezels this weekend. While I had the front end apart again, I made some adjustments to get the body seams a little better. It is not perfect yet, but much better than before.

Gonna order some HDPE sheet to start fabricating the splitter for the next project.
Attachments
2013-05-12 17.27.56.jpg

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”