Frankensaab , The '78 99L

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: Frankensaab V3.0

Postby squaab99t » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:43 pm

99Super wrote:Dennis,
I think the tranny cooler and pump may end up being one of the later additions I make as budgets tighten.
What do you think of using the old-style auto tranny cooler, the one that goes in the lower radiator hose? I think the pass side air dam port is the perfect spot, but I currently use that as a cool air intake. I'm also looking to do a larger, better placed intercooler and have to put that someplace...

The addition is win-win for both of us. I get my man cave (20x32 garage) and she gets the upstairs room for her bikes and snowboards. Plus we get a bedroom for our guests. This will nearly triple our usable space.

Geoff and Crazy Mongo know how little room we have. Phil and Calye stay here from time-to-time as well others of the SAAB community. By August we should have GastHaus Wirt open :lol:

I have seen those. Makes for some pretty clean packaging, but you still need a pump and you are putting even more heat into the cooling system versus an independent heat exchanger. I just use a H motor oil cooler. I understand it takes up room but with the hoses you can route it where you need to with a bit of a weight hit. Gregg Cronn and Scanwest used a Bosch fuel pumps for their coolers. Not my first choice but you could go that way, and when you save your pennies buy a Tilton or Mocal pump.
Was there an invite in the message? I'd love to see you drive at Bogus.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:22 pm

99Super wrote:Dennis,

Geoff and Crazy Mongo know how little room we have. Phil and Calye stay here from time-to-time as well others of the SAAB community. By August we should have GastHaus Wirt open :lol:

+1. Both times I visited....Once in August...once in December....I slept in a tent...80 degrees in August...17 in Decembrrrr.
I am the 73%

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:25 am

Sorry 'bout that. Didn't know you were allergic to cats. At least you had a heater for the tent ;)

Dennis, You're welcome to come down, but you either have to enter to drive, or volunteer to work the hill. :lol: It's really a fun event. There are a few corners w/ serious pucker factor and the odds of seing a 911 heavily damaged are good. Bring a camera.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:40 am

99Super wrote:Sorry 'bout that. Didn't know you were allergic to cats. At least you had a heater for the tent ;)

Dennis, You're welcome to come down, but you either have to enter to drive, or volunteer to work the hill. :lol: It's really a fun event. There are a few corners w/ serious pucker factor and the odds of seing a 911 heavily damaged are good. Bring a camera.

Very cool. I'll mark the calendar. Thanks

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:31 pm

hah, when I read that you're starting the garage build I thought, "The living room is going to nearly triple in size when the bikes are taken out!" :lol:

How about mounting the transmission cooler between the inner and outer fender? You could put a scoop in the air dam to push air into the fender well.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

99Super

Postby 99Super » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:27 pm

Geoff,
That's a good idea. I think I'll cut the bit of metal between the two bumper mounts and wedge it in there. I did that on the driver's side to get more air to the IC. Should work well w/ the 900 square cooler.

Your's right about the Living Room! Get the bikes out and the computer = lots of space! I would have been happy w/ just a garage, but Deb insisted on more bedroom-ish space. Good thinking there...
The excavator showed up this morning, and I'm now the proud owner of a large hole in my yard where an oil tank used to be. This thing could be done before my car is!

john

99sven

Postby 99sven » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:42 am

I feel so lucky. I got to visit and bring my son along. Plenty of room on the living room floor for both of us. I highly recommend a visit. Last time through (last Aug.) all I had time for was some pizza and beer. John has lots of parts to beg for and the drive to Bogus is one of the best anywhere.

By the way John. I put an h motor oil cooler between the air damn and the body on the passenger side of my 99. It was slightly angled for clearance and got lots of air as it was behind the vent opening in the air damn. I had some custom hoses that reached all the way around.
Gregg Cronn

99Super

It's ALIVE!!

Postby 99Super » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:21 pm

Well, I got my garage wiring done yesterday so I finally made some time to get the car running. I pumped out most of the old gas, added new, replaced the fuel distributor, got fuel to the injectors and cranked and cranked...
I had the drive shoe on the distributor backwards.
After I fixed that, it fired right up! :yay:
I ran it until it got hot and the lifters quieted and it sounds pretty awesome!
I still have to get the headlights in and the fans hooked up, shifter adjusted and some new tires mounted, but it looks like I'll be ready to go for Bogus Basin in 3 weeks!
I also need to put a few hundred miles on it between now and then...

john

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:16 am

So what are the specs on Frankensaab 3.0?

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:14 pm

I haven't had a chance to dyno it yet, so I really don't know what the HP is...

I need to spend the next three weeks getting it broken in and sorted before the Bogus Basin Hillclimb,

http://www.nhahillclimb.org/

The new engine bumps me from DSP to SMF, but the current record there is 13 seconds faster than my best DSP time. Hopefully the 16V, Quaiffe and new rubber will get me at least 8 seconds, I'd love to be under 2 minutes this year.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:57 am

99Super wrote:I haven't had a chance to dyno it yet, so I really don't know what the HP is...

I need to spend the next three weeks getting it broken in and sorted before the Bogus Basin Hillclimb,

http://www.nhahillclimb.org/

The new engine bumps me from DSP to SMF, but the current record there is 13 seconds faster than my best DSP time. Hopefully the 16V, Quaiffe and new rubber will get me at least 8 seconds, I'd love to be under 2 minutes this year.

I think that diff will make a world of difference on a hill climb. What gearbox oil? Time to get the oil cooler installed?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:44 am

I mean what is it? 99, 900? engine? I didn't see it mentioned in the earlier post.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:22 pm

Sorry about that, I wasn't quite sure what specs you had meant...

The car is a 78 99L sedan (the one in my avatar that my wife named) that has been through 2 BSi20s and now has a 900 BSi202 w/ 91mm 8.5 pistons, 2.3 head, 2.1 intake, CIS w/ 320i injectors (until I get my T5 wiring finished), and IC.

Suspension-wise, 86/7 Turbo front brakes, EMS rack, B&G springs, Konis F&R, 900 rear axle w/ swaybar and saabrally.com Panhard rod.

Nothing too special, just my usual mash of mostly stock bits. I raced it for years in SCCA DSP class, but the engine will now kick me out of that into the new SMF class.

Coming soon will be Wilwoods and a roll bar/cage.

It hasn't been driven in anger in about 4 years and has 2 years of dust on it, but I'm going to get it rolled out of my car port and washed up tonite so I can get some pictures up...

john

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:05 pm

Sounds Sweet! Can't wait to see.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:43 am

Jordan:
Thanks!
I can't wait to put some miles on it! (still waiting for tags)

Dennis:
I sure hope so! 5 of the turns are serious uphill hairpins and I lose a lot of time as the inside tire spins as I try to accel through/out of the corner. Seven seconds over the 2.2 mile course is my goal this year. I want to be under 2 minutes! Right now I just have Rotella truck oil in there for flush, but I'm planning to switch to Red Line 75-90ns before the race.
Any thoughts on that? What other oils are being used w/ the Quaiffe?

john

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”